Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/30/14 at 13:10:19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Amp selection for archiving (Read 11557 times)
78 archivist
Verified Member

Re: Amp selection for archiving
Reply #30 - 04/21/12 at 00:28:13

I've been recommended by a 78rpm audiophile that I should not keep the signal stereo, that I should sum to mono prior to either of my C8 pre-amps.

If I do go with Rachel, the 'integrated' amp, and say I do use a Y-connector from one C8 main output into the left and right of one input on Rachel would that halve the voltage and the volume I'd get out of the speakers? Also I don't even think I care to have the ability to hear mono through two speakers.

Is there any chance a pair of the Model SE84ZSM and its 2.3 watts would be sufficient to drive my 94/db 8 ohm Heresy II? Considering how empty the Model SE84ZSM sub-forum is here perhaps that's the real ZEN I'm looking for?  :P

Eventually I'll want to upgrade to a pair of Zen Open Baffle speakers which is 95/db. So if SE84ZSM can drive my Heresy II's sufficiently then it would only get better when I upgrade to crossover-less drivers.

My thread on audiogon received no replies, the amount of audiophiles in the world doing what I have to do must be countable on two hands or less?

« Last Edit: 04/21/12 at 00:33:02 by 78 archivist »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #31 - 04/21/12 at 00:38:53

OR the amount of audiophiles following a similar path and ON THE INTERNET may be very small.

Really, these are questions best answered by Steve. Hope you can talk to him soon.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 04/21/12 at 01:05:06

I agree with you on that. This is so old school, most experts in this area probably don't even have an email account.  ;D

Some shellac record dealers still don't. Everything's by phone or snail mail.

edit: (dunno why smilies don't show?)

« Last Edit: 04/21/12 at 01:07:42 by 78 archivist »  
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 04/21/12 at 14:35:27

Maybe the relatively primitive way these recordings were made gives you that organic sound that you are raving about.

If it were me I would replace the speakers. The Heresy being 8 OHMS might not mate well with the DECWARE ZEN or SE34I.3 amps the way a 4 oHM speaker would.

Good luck, and don't breathe too much dust while looking around in those obscure shellac shops.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 04/21/12 at 17:22:20

Rivieraranch,

Pre-mid 1920's were all acoustic recordings and they are primitive although they still have lots of charm and presence. Post-mid 1920's electrical recordings became standard and are non-ironically not primitive. Nearly every audiophile forum on the internet people can't stand the noise of 78s. They want black backgrounds but where did this psychological desire for metaphysical reality come from? I used to crave it too and the blacker the background the more annoying the slightest vinyl tics and pops could be. I too wanted and enjoyed pristine metaphysicalness not to get too philosophical on you. Quite the opposite with shellac has what I call white backgrounds, snowish noise which becomes indistinguishable from air, physicalness. As important as the background differences are, the foregrounds is what will astonish you. I've done true A/B test between shellac and vinyl. Vinyl doesn't come anywhere close to the depth and imaging of shellac. Yes you read that right, and I mean it 100%. A $10,000 mc cart can't compete with my $40(+$165 truncated tip stylus) Stanton mm cart ever. The source, the format, is number one in fidelity impact as we all know.

I already mentioned the differences in groove width and rpm speeds. To make a direct analogy, it's like comparing unmixed 2" tape at 30ips vs mixed 1/4" tape at 15 or 7.5ips. I used to spend a lot of time in a vintage studio listening to those formats through McIntosh MC240's.

Don't get me wrong, I've been collecting vinyl for 15 years, and have owned more than 7,000 individually selected LPs and 45s. Vinyl's a good analog source that sounds and looks pretty with super delineated vocals and instruments, while shellac's none of those it will simply grab you by the balls with inexplicable holography like you've never heard it, unless you're familiar with 2" 30ips tape. Please excuse my language I can't convey more accurately without it. Trust me I'm still flabbergasted by it, I reluctantly got into 78s because the music I was getting into was from that era, I never expected to hear what I'm describing now as most re-issues are either mediocre or poor and to top it off in digital format.

After consulting with a few other shellacfanatics, I think I've figured out my setup now. I'm going to sum the channels to mono before the C8's and then use another Y-adapter from each C8 to two different inputs on Rachel to revert back to 'stereo'. Until I upgrade from the Heresy II's I'm going to stack one on top of the other, probably with a stand in between so they're not actually touching, this way I'll have a single vertical wall of mono. I simply have no desire to hear stereo anything anymore.

« Last Edit: 04/21/12 at 17:26:10 by 78 archivist »  
  IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 04/22/12 at 20:56:47

Can't listen to 'em so might as well show 'em.  8-)

The TD124 isn't my reference table btw.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 04/23/12 at 11:00:46

Very nice.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 05/26/12 at 13:45:27

I'm now running the C8 tape outs into the 299a's tape ins, which gives me the compensation curves although there's more color than I'd like at the moment. I didn't realize the C8s used negative feedback too when I first got them.  :'( But I'm sure I'll be very happy when I pair them with the zero neg feedback supercharged Rachel when she arrives.  :P

« Last Edit: 05/26/12 at 16:08:53 by 78 archivist »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #38 - 05/26/12 at 15:04:12

Hopefully not too much longer to wait!

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 05/26/12 at 15:20:26

Still months away, can't complain when Decware's popularity's to blame!

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 05/27/12 at 02:09:33

My favorite radio station (publicaly funded) based out of Edmonton (I live in Calgary) has a musician named Roy who does a show on Mondays night called the shellac shuffle. Check it out on Internet radio if you can:

http://www.ckua.com/02/02/12/A-SHELLAC-SHACK-SHUFFLE---78s-FROM-THE-T/landing.ht...

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 08/10/12 at 16:16:01

About a week away now!!

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 08/17/12 at 02:50:28

The amp is on its way now. Can someone here give me some advice on how to bridge to mono with Rachel? I never received a response from Steve after asking a couple times already. I'm only going to be playing mono 78s, so do I still have to take a Y-connector from my C8 out to Rachel ins? And do I also need to purchase an extra wire to bridge the speaker outs? Never done this before and would like whatever I need already delivered when the amp gets here.

thanks,
78 arch

IP Logged
clowkoy

Reply #43 - 08/18/12 at 15:57:05

I think all decwares have the same way of bridging.
Taken from the Zen manual:

To bridge the amp into mono you simply series the output jacks. To do this, take a piece
of wire and connect the left positive speaker jack to the right negative speaker jack. The
two remaining jacks will be used to power the speaker.
Also, it is important to feed a signal into both the left and right input jacks
simultaneously. This can easily be done with a Y-Adapter cable with two male RCA jacks
on one end and a single female RCA jack on the other.

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 11/03/12 at 00:13:15

Right before Rachel arrived I blew my Klipsch Heresy speakers when I accidentally grabbed the volume knob instead of the channel balance knob and slammed it to full volume on my Scott 299 amp. Very stupid mistake I know. So when Rachel arrived I still hooked her up bridged to mono with one of my blown Klipsch Heresy's just so I could get an idea of the sound difference. My new speaker just arrived in the mail yesterday, a full range 15" Alnico Audio Nirvana driver. I hooked Rachel up to it, and lo behold my brand new driver sounds blown just like my Klipsch speaker. Certain vocal ranges, especially baritone, sound fuzzy almost identically with the Klipsch. Now this has me wondering, did I damage Rachel by playing the Klipsch with it? And in turn am I damaging my brand new Audio Nirvana driver by playing it with Rachel?

I have to say, the vocal ranges without the fuzz distortion, sound wonderful with Rachel but obviously I have to figure out what the problem is here. Anyone have ideas?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print