Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/18/14 at 08:48:04

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Amp selection for archiving (Read 11349 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Amp selection for archiving
Reply #15 - 04/13/12 at 21:33:03

Sam, I would say look through the catalogue and see what items look interesting to you and your tastes. I really like the Louisiana Rhythm Kings, the Red Heads, Hot Springs Arkansas 1937, the Jack Teagarden, the Eddie South, the Joe Robichaux and the Sam Mannings are fun as well!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/13/12 at 21:47:39

Thanks Lon. I like all of it so a little advice from somebody whose taste I respect is helpful.

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 04/14/12 at 02:45:47

Lon,

At first I was thinking I needed two separate gain controls and four inputs but I realize I have all that on my McIntosh C8s already. Another simple question please, if I opt for the "straight amplifier" the most basic version with one input and no volume controls what would its gain be set at from the 'factory'? Would it be better just to control volume from my pre-amps? This would save me close to 25% of the price if they're 'redundant' and superfluous.

I haven't heard any Yazoo CDs or LPs before. Their output is much smaller than Documents but you got me curious how they sound now.

thanks,
78 arch

« Last Edit: 04/14/12 at 02:46:44 by 78 archivist »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 04/14/12 at 03:08:48

The most basic amplifier will give you about two watts power, which may be enough with your speakers depending on your room. You could run it wide open and control the gain/volume from your preamps.  The amp has a "volume control"--not as easy to use as on the other amps, but usable. I think it might meet your needs, if your room is small to medium.

If you have the time the best thing to do is really to call and talk to Steve. That's the easiest way to reach him, and he's always talking. He can answer all your questions and give you the very best advice.

« Last Edit: 04/14/12 at 03:13:24 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 04/14/12 at 09:28:36

The site says their customer service is Tuesday through Friday only, I did try to PM Steve here but it wouldn't allow me before with less than 5 posts so I appreciate the effort.

In my previous post I didn't clarify I was referring to the most basic version of SE34I.3 which I'm pretty set on now. I'm assuming there no advantages to having volume controls on this amp when they exist on my pre-amp? I know you don't work for Decware but I'm trying to get this figured out asap, before Tuesday preferably, to minimize turnaround time on my order. I've been waiting ten months for my turntable, which still isn't finished, so I've become slightly anxious.

thanks either way,
78 arch

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 04/14/12 at 12:51:45

Won't be any problem with the volume switch located on the new Integrated. In fact, you'll be able to play around with the volume levels between the devices, or if you leave it turned all the way up it's practically "invisible". . . .

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 04/18/12 at 22:42:48

Lon or anyone else,

I missed Steve's calls today and haven't been able to get a hold of him afterwards so thought I'd try to suss this out here as my questions are pretty simple and more to do with my own lack of basic experience and knowledge with electronics.

Does not having volume controls, the attenuator, create a shorter hence higher quality signal path, however slight? If I do opt to have no volume controls on Rachel, I assume she operates at full gain, is there a chance I'd have to keep the volume control on my McIntosh C8's really low? My HH Scott 299a is 17wpc and I usually reference between a quarter turn(normal listening level) to half turn(loud listening level) on the volume pot but are volume levels equivalent btwn push-pull and SET amps in terms of watts?

thanks
78 arch

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 04/18/12 at 23:30:34

Arch,

I think that you'll not have to worry, you'll have your preamp volume at quarter to three quarters probably for most use. And yes, there will be a slight improvement without the volume controls in the signal path, whether it's enough to make a difference in your circumstances (surface noise, preamps in the chain as well) is another question, but if you're not going to use them, why have them in there!

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 04/19/12 at 01:27:32

Lon,

No volume controls on the Rachel then!

I have a new dilemma though which I should have known earlier but I just dug out and read the owner's manual for the C8. My turntable will have two tonearms with two Stanton 500's with two different styli widths so I'll be able to instantly compare and find the best width for old historical shellac recordings with variable groove widths and degradations. I didn't realize till now that the C8's two phono inputs have two different impedance loads, phono 1 at 100k ohms and phono 2 at an adjustable 6.8k to 52k ohms. The Stanton 500 has a recommended impedance of 47k ohms. I have no other amps besides the HH Scott 299a, which I can't plug the C8's into from my understanding so I have no way of knowing which one or both of the phono inputs will work. If only one works with the Stanton 500 then I may have to go with two separate SE84C+ amps and just sum the channels from the tonearm cable with a Y-connector before the C8 (which I didn't want to do as I won't be able to isolate, select, and transfer the best condition of the two groove walls for mono archiving) or if both phono inputs do work then I can keep the channels separate on both cartridges and go with SE34I.3 as planned.

Perhaps I should seek advice on audiogon or other 78 forum?

78 arch

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 04/19/12 at 01:42:50

Well, it's possible one of the denizens here will know, and if you can reach Steve. . . but maybe audiogon or a blues forum, etc. . . . Sorry, you're in territory I've not trod before myself.

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 04/19/12 at 01:49:56

I appreciate your help though!

If I ever get this together, which I have no choice to, I'll be happy to send you a CD from it if you're interested.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 04/19/12 at 02:54:00

Sure, that would be fun! Smiley

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 04/20/12 at 16:19:47

Lon,

I'm thinking about the Torii instead now since it's true dual mono and I'll never need a more powerful amp. I wonder how it compares to the highly acclaimed McIntosh MC225? Of course my concern would be it being too loud for daily referencing? Would I defeat the purpose of the Torii if I were to run it less than quarter turn on its volume control most of the time, with over 75% attenuation?

Only three amps to choose from but I can't decide!

« Last Edit: 04/20/12 at 16:21:41 by 78 archivist »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 04/20/12 at 16:57:43

Well, I love my Torii. It's fantastic, and as you say has all the power you could ever need.

I will say though that there's an organic bit of magic the Integrated I had had that the Torii doesn't. That Single-Ended Triode thing. . . and I only went to the Torii because my speakers and the size of my room needed it. I adjusted and love the Torii for what it does to my three sources. But. . . as you don't need all that power (and really, you may NEVER need it) I'd recommend going with the Integrated. That amp just has something special, it's a subtle something special in comparison to the glory of the Torii.

I mean a dreadnaught sometimes makes more sense than a battle cruiser. . . and gets the job done "better."

To be honest, the definitive answer to your question would come from that future phone conversation with Steve.

« Last Edit: 04/20/12 at 17:00:14 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #29 - 04/20/12 at 23:26:55

Echoing Lon's thoughts, the Integrated is one helluva amp, providing power isn't the issue.
Mine barely gets off the stop in a 13' x 23" room, with 87 db. sens. single drivers.
Every Decware amp I've owned or heard has been a superior unit.
Good Luck on your hunt.
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print