Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/24/14 at 09:29:37

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Mini Torii owner loves the 350B (Read 6526 times)
erik2a3

Re: New Mini Torii owner loves the 350B
Reply #30 - 04/03/12 at 23:49:04

Florida Boy: totally agree with your post.  I've gone nuts comparing not just tubes, but capacitors, resistors, output transformers, chokes......and forgot to listen to the music!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
erik2a3

Reply #31 - 04/03/12 at 23:59:40

Kevin: indeed, circuit design has a substantial, of not critical influence on the voice of a component.  I have said so often in thempast that, IMO, the best, most expensive capacitor exotica will not make an already
Compromised design better, nor will more expensive valves.  What the mini torii also illustrates is that OPTs the size of arc welding machines are not required for outstanding and comprehensive frequency response -- though they do need to be suitable for the load to which they're connected.

I admit those 350Bs must make a very nice visual statement in addition to sounding great.  I have spent not only a bit more but hugely more on a pairmof 2a3s or 300bs (as I'm sure you guys have seen, as well) for the amps I've made, so the cost of your 350bs is a bargain in comparison!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/04/12 at 12:15:31

"Florida Boy: totally agree with your post.  I've gone nuts comparing not just tubes, but capacitors, resistors, output transformers, chokes......and forgot to listen to the music! "

Been there too and got the T-shirt. I found that I was listening to 'sounds' instead of music. The internet fueled the fire. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 04/04/12 at 12:23:12

+1

For the most part I've learned to trust Steve to get the bedrock just right. After that I just tailor to my room and tastes. (And though I've learned to trust a number of ears here, my first allegiance are to my own left and right!) A winning formula: Steve + my personal experience=sonic joy!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #34 - 04/04/12 at 15:30:21

And this formula has been producing great results for you in the last  ...  how many ... 14 years or so?   Cool

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #35 - 04/04/12 at 15:46:29

That's about right. Not going to mess with a good thing.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Kevin
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 04/04/12 at 19:06:22

All true. It is very easy to get sidetracked and begin to listen to only the gear. But when that special combination is achieved and you hear a track you know really well in a brand new way...wow.

When you have a Swiss army knife it seems like a shame to use only one blade. And with the prices for great output tubes for this thing being as low as $8-$10 in some cases...less than a pizza. Easy enough to try many combinations and settle on the one (or two) that sound best to each individual.

Erik, the 350B is not such a visual statement, it looks pretty much like a 2a3 tube, but the 6bg6 is an eye catcher. And here's a snap with the Bendix 5992 glowing purple. Nice tube, but not worth the current prices imo.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/04/12 at 20:38:48

Nice pic! When I first looked at the Mini my initial thought was 'Swiss Army knife'.

I am a recovering tube rolling addict...this amp is not going to help but the cost of a fix will be a lot less. I will burn it in with the stock tubes though.  

Do you find the amp to sound neutral, warm, cool etc.

« Last Edit: 04/05/12 at 12:28:45 by Les Lammers »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print