Send Topic Print
Mapleshade racks? (Read 5240 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Mapleshade racks?
03/17/12 at 02:46:39

I think I have noticed that several people here have Mapleshade's maple racks.
Am I correct in thinking that they are maple shelves held together by all-thread?
If so, I think that I can make my own for quite a bit less than what they charge for them. I have a huge section of a maple stump, a chainsaw, and friends with plainers and saws. I know where there are at least 4, 6' lengths of 1 1/4-7 all-thread. It sounds like I have a project!
How thick should I make the shelves? 4"? 2"?
Does maple really sound better? I'm sure it does. Sorry, the skeptic in me just lashed out. Should I charge myself $1200 for it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Mapleshade racks?
Reply #1 - 03/17/12 at 04:48:50

If I were you, I'd use 4". Why not? I don't know if maple sounds better because I haven't used all kinds of wood, I will say it sounds good. I think the brass hardware helps too, but I don't know for sure and I don't know why. Anyway, have fun!

« Last Edit: 03/17/12 at 05:22:02 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/17/12 at 13:11:05

You should charge yourself $2,000.00 for having such a capital idea!

I am sick of racks that make you bend over to do everything. That is why I attached shelves to the wall.

Whatever you can do for yourself with these racks and shelves is probably done better than store bought.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 03/17/12 at 13:24:13

Maybe, if you have mad skills. I really like the Mapleshade Samson rack I have. REALLY like it, it looks great, it holds my equipment well and the resulting sound is excellent. I don't have the tools to make such a thing myself. So sure it was expensive but worth it to me and I'd buy another in a heartbeat if the cash were in the bank.

I view this, like the Decware equipment, as heirloom quality stuff. And I don't have discomfort bending to operate my equipment, and where I have the stereo set up it would be impractical to use shelves.

« Last Edit: 03/17/12 at 13:55:14 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 03/18/12 at 00:11:59

Well, I have a couple of hunks of maple sitting on sawhorses in my garage now. It only took a hour or so of cutting with a chainsaw this afternoon. I'm in way over my comfort zone on this one. But I've got zero money in this so far, so if things go bad, so what.
Thinking about it, no one ever knows anything about anything untill they do it. Hell, by this time next week I might be taking orders on high end woodworking projects.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 03/18/12 at 00:46:54

Cool.

From my reading, the drying of the wood is really important, so if you really cut maple trees parts up, look into drying and aging processes. Again, I think the brass hardware is a part of the thing I like most about the Samson, and part of why it makes a sonic difference, so I'd say consider that, and keep us posted.

« Last Edit: 03/18/12 at 00:49:28 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 03/25/12 at 01:40:26

I spent this afternoon plaining my maple down to a workable thickness. Both shelves are over 5" thick!
I'm thinking about leaving the outside edges natural, unfinished. I don't know yet.
I'm also contemplating how I want to hold these big hunks of wood. The all -thread thing has been done, not a bad idea, but I think it looks too mechanical. I'm thinking more organic, somehow. Anyone have a idea?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 03/25/12 at 01:59:22

I don't know. . . I like the all thread set up. I think the way it holds the wood allows it to have it's own resonance and as I said a few times the brass plays a part. But I love my Samson rack, and that's how that is put together, and I would replicate that because I'd be after the same signature.

Five inches, cool. Best of luck!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 03/27/12 at 00:14:52

One of the Engineers that works for me is working on plans on how to hold my big hunks o' maple. Right now the design for the supports look like C clamps grasping the shelves. They kind of remind me of the Steampunk movement. Retro high tech, Circa 1895.
This is typical of how I end up doing things. Start up with a nice simple idea, end up with 3D models in ProE and trying to find time on a friend's Machining Center. Why do something half way?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 03/27/12 at 01:08:01

Cool. I'm hoping to one day afford a Mapleshade "Samson" Version 3. Maybe next year.

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 04/03/12 at 04:45:02

Just got the carpenter to polish the maple.
Lon, the reason I did not post earlier was because I was trying to locate Maple wood, which I finally managed to get. I got the 2 inch thickness, as four is not available. Getting this in India is next to impossible, but as luck may have it, I consult for a firm that also has a timber business arm.

Last week went at the lathe shop, where I turned our some brass footers.....basically a diy Mapleshade.

The rods for the rack are back after hard chroming ( just a anti rust measure done for free at a friends shop Grin) and the assembly will start today.

During the last week, since I had the wood with me, I put them on my old rack with the iso blocks......... it makes a difference.

shreekant Smiley

84C, ZBox, Ex mod, Zkit4&5.1, Vcap, CCE, Lowthers, CD200, Power iso and other stuff
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 04/03/12 at 12:19:34

Awesome Shreekant! I'm very happy for you because I think you are going to have a very nice home for your components!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 04/07/12 at 23:53:25

I spent the afternoon today teaching myself how to French Polish wood with shellac. So far, so good. I put it on and if I don't like it I sand it off.
This woodworking stuff is hard work, especially if you don't know what you are doing.
But the internet is a wonderful teacher. And since I don't have a timeframe to meet, the pressure is off.
I still have to make the legs for my stand. It is looking like they will be walnut. The Steampunk look is still at the top in the running order. Some sort of complex looking clamping is in order.
Remember, if it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 04/08/12 at 12:30:40

Yeah! I hope it sounds good, bet it will. You can see why they charge so much for these maple slab racks!

I still think that the steel shaft with the brass nuts is key to why my Samson rack sounds so good. If I had the tools, I'd try to build me another . . . would take a lot of time but save me some money.

« Last Edit: 04/08/12 at 14:47:09 by Lon »  

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #14 - 04/08/12 at 14:40:38

Donnie,

By the time you are finished with the rack, your skills will be elevated to tackle a listening chair. Also in the steam punk style.

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print