Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/24/14 at 08:23:02

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NEW SETUP - BUILT IN SHELVES (Read 6133 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: NEW SETUP - BUILT IN SHELVES
Reply #15 - 03/02/12 at 02:00:25

I just honestly don't feel there's that big a difference in the way that the MT ant T are configured as far as input and gain etc. My experience with Steve's amps are that there's a homogeneity to the the designs, and that SEP, SET (and "pseudo SET), and PP are less importantly different in his designs when compared to the level of differences in other company's designs. There you go, that's my experience with the Decware line from 1997 on.

« Last Edit: 03/02/12 at 03:49:12 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/02/12 at 07:51:04

I am a big ZSTAGE fan, having used one to drive my Taboo and LCD-2 cans. But when I brought the Taboo home for headphone use (keeping the Cavalli Liquid Fire at the office), and used it with the Ultra preamp, I no longer needed the ZSTAGE. I am donating it to a fellow Decwarian.  

There are, of corse, different versions of so-called computer audio approaches; some use a PC or Mac, others a server. At my office, I use a Mac mini for my file server with Audirvana as my player, into an Audiophileo M-1 and modded PS Audio Digital Link III. All that feeds the Cavalli quite nicely. Not as lush as the Ultra/Taboo but very very nice.

At home, my approach was to dispense with disc-swapping and archive my disks at the same time. A network storage device seemed ideal, and the PSA eLyric Music Manager does the trick pretty well. So, I have my discs all stored in their cases in a safe place, but all the music is instantly retrievable. I think Lon and I have always understood the different psychic approaches we bring to playback, but in theory, we should be hearing almost identical things. His PWT does what my exact copy ripping does: extracts the music from the disc and uses a lens to solve the clocking challenges. My PWD Mk II and network bridge contain their own lenses and sound just amazing.

I understand Lon when he says he doesn't want the computer in his audio room. Makes sense to me. In my case, I love the instant access via iPhone or iPad to over 15,000 tracks.

Occasionally, I play Blu-Ray audio and SACD discs (the ones that I cannot rip for one reason or another) through the Oppo BDP-95, but it ain't a PWT.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #17 - 03/02/12 at 10:58:27

Really amazing stuff, Pale Rider!  I'm still in the process of transferring all my discs to WAV format files, using EAC.  It's a time-consuming process, but worth it.  With my new 1.5 Tb external HDD, I'll keep all my music stored for easy retrieval also, and have the physical discs stored as backup.

I end up playing my WAV files through a two-stage process, by which I retrieve from my ext. drive the selections I'm interested in playing for a particular listening session, and have them in RAM at my computer for the Foobar2000 to stream it to my HRT MS II+ USB/DAC, using WASAPI exclusive mode.

When the original recordings are of good SQ, the results are impressive so far, even considering I'm currently running my old SS setup (while I wait for the Decware gear to arrive).

I'm glad you had good results using the ZStage initially, as I also plan to incorporate it, eventually.  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/02/12 at 12:18:12

Pale:

"dispense with disc-swapping"

I didn't know you were into disc-swapping!

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print