Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/31/14 at 11:01:29

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Decware Torii Mk III distortion (Read 10467 times)
C.E.
Verified Member

Re: Decware Torii Mk III distortion
Reply #60 - 02/25/13 at 23:20:32

So....if I (in my tiny brain) understand the "gist" of what's going on here...some of the more recent 6N1P's may have had some output issues (not enough power or gain)?

I do understand that there's always some variance in tubes, the average published gain (u) is 33 for the 6N1P, 6922, and 6DJ8 correct?

Mac Mini (Amarra)>DIY (TDA 1541A, Ian FIFO) USB Dac (Tube Output)>Torii III(V-Caps, Attenuator)>Zen Styx>C3-L Monitors/Model H Sub (plate amp)
  IP Logged
DaveH
Verified Member

Reply #61 - 02/26/13 at 00:09:34

Hi Hipfan,
After being completely puzzeled by the tubes in my 6N1P box, I did some looking around. It appears that the tube in the 6N1p box is the Russian equivalent. In Russian, the N's appear as an H's and the "P" appears as a "pie" sign П п. Possibly no "P" n the Russian alphabet. The EV in the Russian tube is "EB". When I used the 6N1p, at the 8 ohm setting, my system  sounded superior to the 4 ohm, but still distorted.  Replacing it with the 6922, my system now gives me goose bumps in the 4 ohm setting. Base tight, most of the "boom"  is gone and plays at much higher db levels that are completely satifactory, 3-D clarity and transparency to beat the band and there is still quite a ways to go as this amp opens up.  I tried a matched pair of Jan/Philips 6922 and for under $60 bucks, I have something I can learn from, they sound great. The 6922 does not have as high a heater current as the 61np and as Steve indicated earlier, "It seems the 6N1P in a Zen TORII MKII or MKIII falls right on the edge of a window of operation where depending on how the tube tests, it could actually fall outside that window causing premature distortion.  The solution is to use 6922's, or at least avoid using 6N1P's in this amp."  It worked for me.  

Mac mini, linear ps, Audirvana +, Oppo 83 Rick Shultz mod, Prism Orpheus Dac, Synergistic tesla, Torii III stepped, V-caps, Ref 3A GV's.
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 02/26/13 at 01:52:26

Dave, glad to hear the progress. What you describe is how this amp should sound.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #63 - 02/26/13 at 04:30:29

C.E. wrote on 02/25/13 at 23:20:32:
So....if I (in my tiny brain) understand the "gist" of what's going on here...some of the more recent 6N1P's may have had some output issues (not enough power or gain)?

I do understand that there's always some variance in tubes, the average published gain (u) is 33 for the 6N1P, 6922, and 6DJ8 correct?

It does appear that Steve is saying that some tubes distort especially with age or low values on testing. I've been lucky, I've always apparently received tubes that have good values and don't distort. The last few years I've been using the super-cryo'd from cryoset.com and I trust that tubes I receive from Ron there always have been tested, matched and are reliable; I've had great success with these tubes.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #64 - 02/26/13 at 04:31:51

Dave, WHEW, so glad you are now "in the clear." Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
DaveH
Verified Member

Reply #65 - 02/26/13 at 13:16:56

Tuff being an outsider looking in.  Finally in. Lon, missed your post, you had it, the tubes are labeled using the Cyrillic alphabet. Good info. Could, would someone comment on the significance of a 6N1P drawing more heater current than a 6299(other than the circuit being able to deliver it) as it may relate to the sound. Supposedly, these azbuka tubes have great linearity and longevity.  Can't give up on them, as said prior, maybe cryoset is the way to go.    

Mac mini, linear ps, Audirvana +, Oppo 83 Rick Shultz mod, Prism Orpheus Dac, Synergistic tesla, Torii III stepped, V-caps, Ref 3A GV's.
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #66 - 02/27/13 at 22:18:46

OK, so I just picked up and installed a set of '63 vintage 6DJ8 Amperex Bugle Boys. It will take me a bit of time to evaluate how I like these, however the amp finally sounds like it's running on all 8 cylinders. It's amazing what a $35 set of tubes will do. MUCH better at volume and no distortion.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #67 - 02/27/13 at 22:38:40

Awesome! Those tubes have a helluva reputation, my guess is you'll find a lot of good sound in them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print