Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/14 at 07:44:47

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
6N1P distortion and low Torii volume??? (Read 4891 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: 6N1P distortion and low Torii volume???
Reply #30 - 02/24/12 at 20:29:46

If I know you you had a lot of fun doing those power tube evaluations will! I'll check the Rubys out next time I go to buy power tubes. Sounds as if they'll be a nice alternative for me to use.

Yes, I think I like the signature of the 6N1P as it does seem to work in taming the harsher sounding recordings I have and allow me to just listen to the music more than the sound. And I've learned something about myself over time: when I find something that really works for me I keep it as long as I can, whether it's a tube, an amp, a motorcycle. Even friends and lovers. Smiley

You've described well it seems to me the different power tubes and their characteristics. I find the 6N1P is the anchor for me, and I build around it. I think you'll find the Super Cryo to improve ovcer the next weeks.

« Last Edit: 02/24/12 at 20:30:31 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: 6N1P distortion and low Torii volume???
Reply #31 - 02/25/12 at 01:23:14

Lon, I believe I get that super cryo 6N1P anchor thing now for your needs. Makes total sense. It is a surprisingly softening and darkening tube without veils or significantly apparent detail loss, and powerfully influences any power tube it is with. Pretty cool.

I really can't say if the Rubys would suit you or not, but with the right counterparts, I suspect you would like them. They do go deep into micro detail, but to me in a very good and sweet way as long as the other tubes are not too bright.

This is fun!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print