Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/25/14 at 06:56:39

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
6N1P distortion and low Torii volume??? (Read 6097 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: 6N1P distortion and low Torii volume???
Reply #30 - 02/24/12 at 20:29:46

If I know you you had a lot of fun doing those power tube evaluations will! I'll check the Rubys out next time I go to buy power tubes. Sounds as if they'll be a nice alternative for me to use.

Yes, I think I like the signature of the 6N1P as it does seem to work in taming the harsher sounding recordings I have and allow me to just listen to the music more than the sound. And I've learned something about myself over time: when I find something that really works for me I keep it as long as I can, whether it's a tube, an amp, a motorcycle. Even friends and lovers. Smiley

You've described well it seems to me the different power tubes and their characteristics. I find the 6N1P is the anchor for me, and I build around it. I think you'll find the Super Cryo to improve ovcer the next weeks.

« Last Edit: 02/24/12 at 20:30:31 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: 6N1P distortion and low Torii volume???
Reply #31 - 02/25/12 at 01:23:14

Lon, I believe I get that super cryo 6N1P anchor thing now for your needs. Makes total sense. It is a surprisingly softening and darkening tube without veils or significantly apparent detail loss, and powerfully influences any power tube it is with. Pretty cool.

I really can't say if the Rubys would suit you or not, but with the right counterparts, I suspect you would like them. They do go deep into micro detail, but to me in a very good and sweet way as long as the other tubes are not too bright.

This is fun!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print