Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/14 at 02:51:12

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What DAC for Torii in a PC / iphone based setup (Read 2929 times)
kana813
Verified Member

Re: What DAC for Torii in a PC / iphone based setup
Reply #15 - 01/29/12 at 06:21:13

I've compared the Weiss DAC 202 to the PWD in my system many times.

The PWD always came out on top when comes to dynamics, soundstage, etc. With the MK II upgrade, there's absolutely no contest.

IMO, the DAC 202 wasn't worth $6.6k, now it retails for $7.7k.

If you want to use Firewire*, a used DAC 2 might be a good option, but
I'm sure you can find a PWD for less than $2k.

* Metric Halo also makes some excellent Firewire DACs.

IP Logged
asinghji
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 01/29/12 at 15:34:26

Thanks Kana813, that really helps. I guess will have to take a serious look at PWD now.

IP Logged
asinghji
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 01/30/12 at 17:08:44

Hi all,

Got a great deal at audiogon, so ordered a used PWD Mk I with bridge, should arrive in a week or so. Also ordered Harbeth P3ESR, should arrive in a day or 2. Tori Mk 3 ordered a while back but still have few more months before I receive it.

So now finalizing on interconnects and speaker cable etc. Will keep you posted.

« Last Edit: 01/30/12 at 17:10:30 by asinghji »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: What DAC for Torii in a PC / iphone based setu
Reply #18 - 01/30/12 at 17:16:38

Congrats! I think you'll be very happy with the PWD!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
asinghji
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 01/30/12 at 20:20:52

Thanks Lon, I hope so too.

IP Logged
asinghji
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 02/03/12 at 16:46:27

Hi all,

I setup my new PWD Mk I yesterday to play FLAC files directly through my PC using USB, on Foobar 2000. First impression is this is really great DAC and I am really liking the pairing with Harbeth P3ESR.

I will be configuring the bridge soon to see what further improvements in sound quality I get.

As for now i am waiting for my new Torii, so I have taken the not so optimal approach of connecting the PWD to my Anthem MRX 500 receiver, as I don't have any other amp available, but still the sound is really good compared to what I get directly from receiver without PWD.

I will keep on improving the system and post updates of my experience to share with you.

thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: What DAC for Torii in a PC / iphone based setu
Reply #21 - 02/03/12 at 16:59:29

A, fantastic news that your PWD is in place and making great sound. Keep it plugged in and turned on and it gets better and better sounding, and when you have your Torii you'll be just amazed at the sound quality. You'll be able to use it as a preamp and find the sweet spots between the PWD and the Torii's volume for each input and you'll have a world class system!

Keep us posted and I hope the wait for the Torii isn't too long and excrutiating.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print