Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/14 at 06:21:06

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
NEW SE34I.3 coming soon! (Read 27932 times)
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Re: NEW SE34I.3 coming soon!
Reply #60 - 02/11/12 at 13:52:51

markv wrote on 02/06/12 at 02:21:28:
Also, been looking at the MG944 and at the Hoyt-Bedford Model 2s as more efficient "modern" options.

Either one would be a solid choice!

Lin
H-B Type 1 owner Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #61 - 02/13/12 at 01:02:14

OK, Here's a picture of her...  just click on the link below.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/images/se34i.3large.jpg

Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #62 - 02/13/12 at 01:04:11

Interesting! Not what I was expecting. Looks beautiful. Thanks!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
markv
Verified Member

Reply #63 - 02/13/12 at 02:16:27

Very nice Steve.  Looks stunning!  The SE341.2 was a dual mono SE84+. With one power transformer, is this still a dual mono 84+?  What are the meters for?  Enough questions - I'll just wait for the details.

Great looking SET. Congratulations.

« Last Edit: 02/13/12 at 02:36:26 by markv »  
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #64 - 02/13/12 at 02:57:08

The Two power supplies in the SE34I.2 were heavy overkill.  Remember those were designed for the original SE34I that had four output tubes rather than two.

Right now, we're still at the same 40 mills per tube as before, so both channels draw 80 mills.  The current power supply is 150 mills.

So to answer your question, no, it is no longer dual mono.  

I'm in the final chapter of the voicing on it, and comparing lucid mode with one built as a classic SET just like our Zen Amp (SE84C+).  It's looking like getting lucid mode as good as it was on the Taboo may take another year or even two (like it did for the Taboo).  Triode vs. Pentode is just too much change to have the same results.  Don't get me wrong, it's impressive in it's current state, but in a serious shoot out between the two designs,  The classic Decware SET may actually have the edge in the imaging department since it's more accurately rendering the intent of the recordings.  Given that and the fact that the amp could now be bridged mono I'm likely going to abandon the unbridgeable lucid mode on this design.  After all, we still make the Taboo.

The meters are to show the bias of each output tube.  This lets you know a few things:

1) When the amp is ready to play music after powering on.
2) What the bias is for each tube
3) If the tubes match and if not, and how far off are they
4) Visual clipping indicator to make it easy to determine max power levels
5) Ongoing tube wear indicators
6) Tube failure (shorted) indicator

But mainly to let you see at a glance how close your tubes are matching and how close your amp is to max power.

...no the tubes do not have to match, especially if you have the amp configured with dual volume controls... but matched tubes mean that each channel will clip at the same point - not one side sooner than the other... and closely matched tubes preserve pristine imaging.

Steve

« Last Edit: 02/13/12 at 03:05:56 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 02/13/12 at 12:57:04

Genius; pure genius; and once again Steve has surpassed himself. It seems that there is plenty of room on the chassis for tube regulation.

« Last Edit: 02/13/12 at 12:58:20 by Rivieraranch »  

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #66 - 02/13/12 at 13:23:41

Yes, but so far just one rectifier sighted. Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #67 - 02/13/12 at 15:50:43

Steve is really an artistic genius!

I just love the look of those meters. Gives the whole amp some sort of nostalgic look and feel.

And I also admire the functional use of those meters. This turns the amp into a tube tester for the output tubes.

I do hope that Steve will incorporate those meters for the other versions of his tube amps in the future!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #68 - 02/13/12 at 17:33:32

Beautiful design, indeed.  Ok, it's not going to be a Lucid Mode-capable design, but I wonder how does it compare to the SE34i.2+ it's replacing in overall performance?  Any comparisons made already?  

If they sound better than the SE34i.2+, these are going to make killer triode monoblocks!

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #69 - 02/13/12 at 17:40:54

Yes, although I swore I would not build another amp without tube regulation, the SE34I.3 does not have it.  The reason why is simple.  No one is making any voltage regulation tubes today.  New Old Stock are getting harder to find in quantities.  It also skyrockets the price of the amp due to all the extra stuff that has to be done.  I'm really just looking for a nice step up from our original Zen Triode SE84C+.  For the guy who want's classic Decware transparency and liquidity but needs a bit more than 2 watts.  So far it is looking like I'll be able to offer this with a single pair of inputs and one volume control - no tubes - for $1149

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
markv
Verified Member

Reply #70 - 02/13/12 at 18:43:47

Steve -

What are the other configurations you are planning for this amp and for how much?  Also, will you offer a stock set of tubes as an option?  Finally, what does this amp look like with the contemporary walnut wood base - pics Smiley

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #71 - 02/14/12 at 00:13:44

Very beautiful Steve. Thanks for posting the picture.  The functional use of the meters is sweet. I look forward to its release.

In light of NOS regulation tubes becoming harder to obtain: You brilliantly use tube voltage regulation designed to filter instead of regulate in the Torii 3 and Mini. If tube regs' dry up, do you plan to retro-fit these Amps with a form of solid state filtering (a mini power plant if you will/based on a solid state voltage regulator) - or - can a plug in be created, such as what a solid state rectifier plug in does in lieu of a tube rectifier?

« Last Edit: 02/14/12 at 00:58:46 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #72 - 02/17/12 at 04:22:53

Well, while they may dry up for me by becoming unavailable in quantity but I can't image that they would ever become unavailable in singles from places like ebay.  That said, in a worse case scenario I would likely replace the VR tube with a neon lamp.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #73 - 02/17/12 at 04:33:05

Also, I have the amplifier on the site now.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

Below are ten one time coupon codes that forum members can use (first come first serve basis) to get $25.00 off when your order.  Note:  If a code does not work it means someone else has already used it.

DL9S9224BW
             5NJ4W6GM1C
             2637JBC8V4
             9MX4RGXTZV
             P681NP5MJM
             GC9DYDHHCN
             1Y7STWG8YC
             SS8X3PPVX1
             5Z5MK15KNY
             M3WQ5LZZ4S

Enjoy!  

I have to say I feel really good about this amplifier.  It's better than it's ever been and we look forward to the next 12 years!

Steve  

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #74 - 02/17/12 at 05:26:49

I suppose you're correct Steve.....we should be able to find them on ebay etc.... (voltage regulation tubes/down the road purchase). They last forever too. It should not be much of an issue.  NO neon! Go with a black light and lets bring back the Posters too!  ;D

The release is here!  Sweet!  She is a beauty (that Rachael)!

Rachael!  I like it!  This could be love! .....Those sexy meter's.....what a vixen....hubba hubba........ Wink

Ms. Rachael?  I do believe you're trying to seduce me?!

« Last Edit: 02/17/12 at 05:39:13 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats