Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 03:23:36

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Help me validate Decware Amp and Speaker (Read 8355 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Help me validate Decware Amp and Speaker
Reply #30 - 07/21/12 at 11:45:23

Sev,
A remote is the one thing I wish my DAC1 had. It just would be handy.
I'm pretty sure you will be blown away on how much better your music will sound by using a DAC instead of the sound card in your computer.
What media player are you using?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
ThorSevan
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 07/22/12 at 05:54:03

I'm currently using the original smaller version of Winamp. Quite straightforward - plays what I ask him to play.

At the moment, I'm feeling that I'm missing some rewarding bass in my music with the trapezium, perhaps it's because of the ongoing burn-in period or that my laptop DAC is really sub-bar. I'll wait to receive all my gear and then I will have a better perception of the system and overall sound.

Thanks!
Sev

IP Logged
ThorSevan
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 07/24/12 at 20:36:26

Hello,

I hope you guys are doing well.
The DAC-2 is scheduled for arrival at the end of this week - i'll let you know.

Meanwhile I have a question, would it be possible to drive two sets of speakers with one amp? I would like to have bigger tower speakers in the living room and ideally I would use the same DAC/AMP. Any high end switcher exists that would not alter audio quality significantly?

I was aiming towards the MG944 but the other speakers looks quite interesting as well and intrigue me. The Extended Range
Radials or the High Definition Towers. What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Sev

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 07/24/12 at 21:23:52

Interested to hear your impressions of the DAC2! It has a great reputation.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ThorSevan
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 07/28/12 at 18:25:48

Good Saturday everyone,

There are no words to describe the importance of a DAC in a sound system and the difference it makes. Switching from my laptop output to my desktop with a "good" soundcard already provided some audible improvements but switching to the W4S-DAC2 was day and night of a difference. Itís hard to tell when many variables are changing at the same time like speaker and amp burn-in and switching DAC in the process but nevertheless I can say that this system sounds amazing and Iím rediscovering music, mostly tracks with instrumental and vocals.

Well recorded tracks have so much details, clarity and presence that itís hard to describe the pleasure listening to them.

One funny thing, the W4S DAC-2 appears to have high output when configured to FIXED volume mode that even with the Decware amp volume set to the lower end things get quite loud!

Thanks for all the advises,
Sev

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #35 - 07/28/12 at 20:13:15

Sev,
I'm glad you like your DAC, I sure do like mine.
I had to blow up a picture of your system to make sure that you are using a PC.
There are 2 other things that I would like you to now try. One free, the other free for now.
First download a trial copy of JRiver 17 media player. After you use it you will throw rocks at Winamp. You can run it for 30 days free, then it is only $49 or so.
Second download a copy of Fidelizer, it optimizes your computer for music playback. Plus it is free.
You will thank me after you try this combo.

IP Logged
ThorSevan
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 08/25/12 at 08:20:35

Hello,

Thank you Donnie, I will try these out.
I have one question about the W4S-DAC2 and SE34I.3 tube amp.
I noticed that the default output volume of the DAC2 in FIXED mode is very high so that I have to lower the amp volume all the way down..

I was wondering what brings the best audio quality and dynamic range. Having the DAC-2 to a lower volume and use the Decware all the way up or the alternative, which is to have the DAC-2 at high levels and the Decware at very low.

Right now, I've set the DAC-2 volume to 55 on 70 for maximum output so this gives me a good workable range of volume control on the Decware.

What are your thoughts on this?
Is having the Decware at low volumes kinda removes all the benefits of having a nice tube amps and mainly listening to the DAC output straight without amplification? But also, does having the DAC too low removes dynamic range from the output signal?

Thank you very much for helping me figure these few things out.
Sev

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #37 - 08/25/12 at 13:56:41

My PerfectWave DAC has a digital preamp out like the DAC2 does. I run it into my Torii. After a lot of experimentation I've left the Torii turned all the way up, and use the volume control on the PWD. As long as I'm above 50 or 60 or so I'm losing no resolution using the digital volume control, and the sound is excellent. I believe that even a bit lower there would be little real fidelity loss audible. I think using your setup this way is probably giving you great sound with no drawbacks.

« Last Edit: 08/25/12 at 15:11:12 by Lon »  

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ThorSevan
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 08/25/12 at 17:03:11

Hello, thank you for your answer - a few more questions:
1. Is the amp tube lifetime affected by the volume setting?
2. When building the Se34I.3 without volume control, I assume the amp would output it's maximum value ex.: similar if volume control was set to highest position?
3.  There is no "downsides" in running the Se34I.3 amp at maximum volume setting?
4. There is no "downsides" in running the W4S-DAC2 at lower settings?
5. Where is the ideal place to adjust volume settings:
+ Within the audio player
+ Within the W4S-DAC2
+ Within the Decware Se34I.3 amplifier

Cheers!
Sev

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #39 - 08/25/12 at 17:25:25

I'd use the DAC myself, mostly because I could use the remote. I'm lazy.
Some of the computer guys will say to use the amp or the preamp's volume controls because the digital controls truncate bits. I can't hear it.
As far as running the volume all of the way up on your amp causing damage, I ran my Torii WFO for months on end with no harm.
The main thing is to figure out what sounds best to you. Most of the "experts" are self appointed. I'm going appoint you to be our "New Expert"on your combination. Tell us what works best for you. I really want to know what you think.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 08/25/12 at 17:33:11

Perfect answer.

As for me, I have tried all different kinds of combinations with my Torii and CSP2. Because the CSP2 brings separate channel gain into the equation things can get even more complicated. I have tried running my Torii maxed out but find I like the "riding the gain" solution that Steve has talked about many times(do a search) better. So in my setup I have my Torii 7-10 notches(attenuated gain) from maxed out, CSP2 between 9-12 o'clock on the gain, and it's individual channel gains at about 8 o'clock. With this setting I get a tremendous amount of body, and great dynamics. I use the gain control of the CSP2 to move the volume higher/lower.

Ultimately your ears, as Donnie so perfectly said it, will decide what's best.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #41 - 08/25/12 at 19:08:38

Yea, that compression from riding the gain is really cool. And I do ride the gain a bit with the sources connected to my CSP2+ (and CSP2 before that). But the clarity and depth I get from the PWD running into a wide open Torii has seduced me away from it for that source. Smiley

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 08/25/12 at 20:45:23

Exactly the point. We all have different setups,  different rooms, different ears and different preferences. Nothing wrong with hearing what others are doing so we can gain some semblance of wisdom through experience but ultimately the right answer will be lying there right in front of you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #43 - 08/25/12 at 21:12:33

No arguments from me. Sometimes I tire of experimenting with the sound, these amps and preamps and speakers from Decware I have are so flexible!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print