Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/01/14 at 08:52:25

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Affordable, cost-effective RCA interconnects (Read 17634 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Affordable, cost-effective RCA interconnects
Reply #90 - 06/21/12 at 14:53:56

Well, my shipment from MAC is due today. Tuesday I got a used MAC Burly power cord I purchased from Audiogon  at a great price, broken in. . . stuck it on my Torii as it seems to be designed as an amplifier cord primarily. Stuck with it for 24 hours but it wasn't right for the Torii in the main system. Compared to the PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 in place there, it was dark and dull. . . a very nice cord and I'd probably love it had I not heard the AC-12. The AC-12 has a magic I've just not heard in any other cord, even the AC-10. I've found enough used at decent prices (for them, about 40 to 45 percent list cost) to equip the Power Plant Premier, Torii, PS Audio Transport and DAC, my homemade preamp (which will soon be changed out for the CSP2 and then the CSP2+) and my Denon DCD-100--eventually I'll get more for my main system; I'm using PS Audio xStream Premier SC and PerfectWave AC-10s in the rest of the system now. Great cords. . . but the AC-12 just has a bit more excellence in them. The copper in these is available from only one machine in Japan. . . all I can think is that the hype about this special crystal copper must have some validity as that's the major difference between it and its predecessors from PS Audio which were great but not quite this good. Maybe that's just BS, but something about the cable is exceptional.

I know I've maybe gone mad and become one of those people Steve makes fun of with thick garden-hose power cords when in his opinion the Decware cord is good enough, but I've slowly built up to these over time and lots of listening and once I've discovered what they bring to the system I just enjoy having them. And the AC-12, unlike the MAC power cords and the Decware, sound great on all components I've tried; the MAC and Decware are more "particular." Some work better than others on a given component. I also use a MAC HC power cord on a Warwick bass guitar amp I have and a Decware cord on a Black Heart guitar amp I have as well. I was surprised at the difference these made there.

It's a slippery slope and I wouldn't suggest going this far into this unless you have a lot of money to burn (not many of us here do I know) and also have gotten the best source components you can. Once you accomplish that, the AC-12 is the icing on the cake. Should offer a lifetime of use with components as well.

So the Burly is now on the DEC685 in my second system and upped the ante there. The new one that is coming today will go on the Torii in the second system, and I'll shift around a few power cords back there. And I'll end up with two Decware cords for the closet and possibly for sale.

I'm looking forward to the Silver Quad + interconnects arriving today as well. . . The Ultra Silver + I purchased before have blossomed into a very good interconnect, currently in use between my PS Audio GCPH and my preamp. Steve Hallick says the Silver Quad + are even better, and at the special price now available worth trying out. I expect a long break in though; I'm going to place them in the second system as connections between my DEC685 and the PS Audio GCPH (earlier version) there and the Torii. The second system is going to be in a bit of a break in flux for s spell, but it seems to always be in a state of improvement. So glad the DEC685 is back in use, it really is a great source for cd and SACD in the second system.

« Last Edit: 06/21/12 at 15:33:26 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #91 - 06/22/12 at 13:41:25

The continuing saga of Rocky Raccoon and his audio cables.

I got the Silver Quad + interconnects and new Burly power cord in yesterday. I hooked a pair of Silver Quad + between my phono preamp and preamp yesterday (replacing my pair of Ultra Silver +) and there was a very nice retrieval of ambiance and detail immediately but the tonal balance was too bright, as I expected from these brand new silver interconnects.

So I set them up between the DEC685 and the Torii Mk II in the bedroom system, and installed the new Burly in between the Duet and the Torii Mk II. Of course this sounded great, as this second system always does. The speakers are too close to the wall and to the listener to be good for really accurate critical listening, but for pure euphonic fun and dreamy wistful listening that system can't be beat. I'd like to put all the components as is into the main system room sometime just to hear how it is when optimally placed, but that's so much work I doubt it will get done! Anyway, my plan is to burn the Silver Quad + in for a week or so in the bedroom system and then move them out to the main system for another listen. They have great potential. In construction they remind me very much of the first "red" Decware interconnects, but with a tighter "braid" and thinner wire. Should sound very good when broken in, and at 99 dollars I think they'll be a bargain.

Now I sit here waiting for my repaired CSP2 to arrive via UPS! And looking forward to a rare public show of a duo composed of two of my friends tonight at an outdoor event, WD-41 at Kenny Dorham's Backyard.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Willie-Oteri-and-WD-41/150104544498

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #92 - 06/22/12 at 19:20:41

My CSP2 is back in the system, and sounding great. There was nothing wrong with it. I must have been using the wrong value for replacement fuse. I feel a little silly but there's nothing wrong with having the doctor do a check up! Didn't cost me a cent either. Steve does so much for us, it's really one of the biggest benefits of being a Decware owner!

Replaced the stopgap preamp I was using which is very nice, has great parts and a great build, just different than the CSP2. A bit more forward and detailed, while the CSP2 can be that way too, but also can be adjusted to be a bit more warm and dynamic as well. So more versatile and a bit more my style. Looking forward to the CSP2+ which I've wanted ever since it was introduced. . . Smiley

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 06/23/12 at 06:37:06

Congrats on the CSP2 being back in the system Lon. Glad to hear that nothing was wrong with it after all. This hobby of ours will certainly humble even the most grizzled veterans of it's wars, won't it. Just another way of letting us know to go slow and check on even the most obvious things. Looking forward to hearing what I did to screw up my Torii.

Question about the Burly. I'd like to try a different pc with the Torii. I've been using a Decware cord but with my configuration it was difficult for the female end to plug into the Torii and stay in. I'm hoping that didn't cause the failure that occurred but who knows? Anyway I'm now using Decware pc with my new Power Plant Premier. Everything sounds great so I'd rather leave it there and try something different with the Torii once it's back in the system. So in addition to your continuing thoughts on how it sounds I'd like to know how it fits into your Torii. Is it fairly flexible?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: 06/23/12 at 06:37:43 by sberger »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #94 - 06/23/12 at 10:08:52

Sam, the Burly is only flexible at the two ends, the center portion is not very flexible. It can work, but it works best in a relative straight line.

Also, it has the same connector as the Decware cable for going in to the amp.

It will handle the Torii well and create good sound, but . . . the connector may cause you trouble if the Decware cord connector did.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 06/23/12 at 10:56:57

Ah ok then. Won't risk it. Thanks. The Torii sits on the top shelf of a 6 foot rack and the pc is coming straight up and then the end has to twist down. Wonder what cords would work better? Any thoughts welcome.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #96 - 06/23/12 at 11:11:42

The Burly may work then as it's six foot, and the first and last foot are very flexible. . . .But the connector is the same and may give you trouble. You could contact Steve Hallick of My Audio Cables; he has lots of upgraded connectors to choose from and would know which would work best.

As far as other cables, I would have to say in your situation you would have to have a 2 meter or so length of those I'd recommend as their flexibility isn't the best. I'd be on the lookout for a used PS Audio xStream Plus SC. The SC indicates that it has 'single crystal copper' which is in fact a real draw for this cable. (There was an earlier xStream Plus, without the SC, which is not as great a cable). I think this cable is very good for its used price, usually 200 or a bit less when available. One caveat: the ones from Hong Kong are more likely to be fakes than the real deal. At the moment I only see those from Hong Kong for sale. . . . This cable is stiff but flexible enough. Going up the scale from there, the xStream Statement SC and Premier SC are good choices, and the PerfectWave AC-10 and AC-12 are great choices. These are all not too flexible and may not work as well with your rack would need the 2 meter lengths, which may actually sound better, but are certainly a bigger expense. . . .

I've fallen in love with the "SC" and PerfectWave cables and what they do and really have no others to recommend. Others here probably have other experiences and recommendations.

« Last Edit: 06/23/12 at 11:14:38 by Lon »  

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 06/23/12 at 11:21:46

Thanks Lon. I did contact Steve Hallick so we'll see what he says. For whatever reason I haven't had the same luck in the past with PSA cords as you. Mind you they were different varieties and it was few years back but think I would prefer something different. I've heard good things about the Burly in addition to your comments and his web site special would seem like a great opportunity to try it out. So hopefully I'll be able to.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #98 - 06/23/12 at 12:07:14

Cool. Again, in my opinion it's the "SC" cables (that use what PS Audio calls "PCOCC" copper) that I have had so much success with, really changed their cable line. (Earlier cables had a thicker, bassier sound with a nice midrange and treble; the SC line is much more neutral and open throughout all frequencies, and very dynamic). And I've found that power cable use in general has been different with the Power Plant Premier rather than without it, the PCOCC cables just sing with the Premier. The Burly is significantly different, without the "life" the others have. Very much like the Decware in my system. My main system has cables all containing PCOCC in it now, and as soon as I put a different cable in I hear the difference, and can't be comfortable with it.

Here's the hype from PS Audio about PCOCC (and yes, it's hype, but my ears tell me there's something at play here, just as Steve's hype has grounding!):

PCOCC is one of the more remarkable manmade metals in the world. It is formed as one single long grain or crystal that runs the entire length of the conductor. It is formed by a process known as The Ohno Continuous Casting Method where molten copper is forced out of the mold and very slowly draws the grain down the conductor's length, creating a 'single grain structure.'

There’s only one machine in the world that creates PCOCC single crystal copper, and that is one of the reasons it is nearly ten times more expensive than OFC. PS Audio has secured a scheduled allotment of the material.

« Last Edit: 06/23/12 at 12:33:12 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 06/23/12 at 12:21:26

Sberger,

Have you heard of Pi Audio? I would call or email Dave Elledge from http://www.piaudiogroup.com/ and see what he can do for you. The website is not developed, with much more info on the audiocircle forum, but don't be dissuaded due to this. It is a small operation making really good stuff.

I have used DIY cables with good connectors from VHaudio and Cryoparts, made up ones from Alan Maher, and myaudiocable HC, so not a great reference, but some decent cables.

Then I got a sample of Pi Audio Cable's cheaper cable made for the Tranquility DAC, and it really did sound better than the rest in that application. More fleshed out in every way. Then I tried PI's better cable on the Tranquiltiy, and it was better than the first. More inner detail, delicacy, body, and range.

It is clear from interacting with Dave at PI that he is a consummate explorer for the most transparent, yet complete sound, and very knowledgable. But also what  made me think of him, is his cables are flexible. He can custom build cables to your needs to boot though I don't know how he might deal with the trial period on this.

Edit: Oops, forgot to say the cables sound great pre-power and in the Torii also. Could be worth a trial period exploration.

« Last Edit: 06/23/12 at 12:24:11 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #100 - 06/23/12 at 12:25:58

sberger wrote on 06/23/12 at 06:37:06:
Congrats on the CSP2 being back in the system Lon. Glad to hear that nothing was wrong with it after all. This hobby of ours will certainly humble even the most grizzled veterans of it's wars, won't it. Just another way of letting us know to go slow and check on even the most obvious things. Looking forward to hearing what I did to screw up my Torii.

By the by, it sure is nice to have the CSP2 back. The ability to adjust the output gain is such a great feature to have.* I've been able to really dial it in for the phono preamp, and vinyl listening is now at a new level, I'm just loving listening to vinyl. And CDs, and SACDs, and TV and DVD and Blu-ray. I've spent a small fortune but don't regret it as I've sound that I can just sink into. As so much of my time is spent in these pastimes, it is a great benefit.

And I needed the humbling. I need to pay more attention. And maybe check out "audiophile fuses." Seems the next "crazy audiophile" step to check out. . . Smiley

*Looking forward to the CSP2+ and it's ability to adjust input gain. This way I can match the gain of the phono preamp and the SACD player. I find I prefer the PS Audio DAC output straight into the Torii, so with the CSP2+ I'll have a great set up for three sources.

« Last Edit: 06/23/12 at 12:28:35 by Lon »  

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 06/23/12 at 14:29:33

Lon and Will thanks. Both make compelling suggestions. I have some thinking to do before shelling out more Lincolns. Will probably wait until I get the Torii back and let the v-caps settle in a bit before making any more changes.

Or not.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #102 - 06/23/12 at 14:38:29

I like the "or not." Smiley Every time I make a resolve I seem to fudge on it!

Good idea though, wait for the V Caps to settle a bit.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 06/23/12 at 15:06:08

Sounds like a good idea.

Do you think your cable fit issue to the Torii is mostly from downward pull, or more from lack of lateral tightness.

If lateral, it might be remedied by tightening the cable end fit using teflon plumbing tape wrapped around the narrow plastic part that slips into the Torii IEC. Keep adding wraps until snug. Or to relieve downward pressure, I would think that some sort of cable tie, secured at the right point down the cable to have a relaxed bend and so that you could attach it somehow to the back of a rack self could do a lot. Maybe some light screws into the shelf through a velcro cable wrap?

Even the right tape, like that heavy duty duct tape might work on its own, one end wrapped around the cable and the other taped to the top/back of a rack shelf???

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 06/23/12 at 16:11:31

Could be both. Steve from My Audio Cables also recommended your idea about using a tie around the rack. Will try that and your other idea when the Torii is back in action.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print