Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/30/14 at 23:14:53

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Affordable, cost-effective RCA interconnects (Read 18438 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Affordable, cost-effective RCA interconnects
Reply #30 - 01/10/12 at 16:10:30

Great Lon. I hope they give you the refinement over the Decware I got! As usual, they take time. I look forward to your impression of them!

Greg,

I seem to recall that HC being a looooong burnin. Have you got a IEC adapter? Awesome tool for a less painful burn in. Let the refrigerator or something do the hard part!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #31 - 01/10/12 at 16:11:20

I don't know FB, the title of both threads say "16" when I open them and I'm not going to waste time comparing them but there seems no difference to me, and it certainly doesn't change my impression or opinion of this "shoot out."

Anyway, it's easy to get a better power cord than stock, and there are many choices to fit many budgets. Then there's the whole issue of whether a power cord offers the same sonics when used in tandem with or without a power conditioner or isolation transformer etc., when using with a source or amplifier or different sizes and topologies of amplifiers, etc. A mine-field best evaluated in person.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 01/10/12 at 16:20:46

I agree, power and all the little EMI, RFI grunge is a huge area of importance! What comes in effects everything!

« Last Edit: 01/10/12 at 16:21:20 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 01/10/12 at 18:52:24

Will wrote:
Quote:
Great Lon. I hope they give you the refinement over the Decware I got! As usual, they take time. I look forward to your impression of them!

Greg,

I seem to recall that HC being a looooong burnin. Have you got a IEC adapter? Awesome tool for a less painful burn in. Let the refrigerator or something do the hard part!

Don't know that I do Will. I think I do, but I am not positive. Will check, and if not, will rectify.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 01/27/12 at 16:10:14

Well, my MAC "UltraSilver" interconnects arrived.

Very well-made items, with impressive connectors. So far I'm impressed, though they haven't embarrassed the Decware Silver Reference yet, but I know that it's unfair to expect them to be "all they can be" yet.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/27/12 at 16:37:20

Lon, I don't expect they will embarrass the excellent Decware ICs, but I hope the Ultra Silver will give you the added refinement they gave me. I can't recall the breakin for those, but it was a while. Maybe a month or so. Lately, I have been running new cables and caps in my workshop system 24/7 changing the CD at least daily for a week or 10 days. Don't you wish wire makers would burn them in? Actually, Reality cable does!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 01/27/12 at 16:59:29

Oh yes, I don't really expect them to embarrass the Decware, just funnin'. They've a different "view". . . we'll see how they turn out in a month. Enjoying the difference and they're a quality product.

We'd definitely not want to pay the manufacturers in general for burning in the wire! Would probably cost a LOT! Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 01/28/12 at 14:54:23

Lon announced:
Quote:
Well, my MAC "UltraSilver" interconnects arrived.

Very well-made items, with impressive connectors. So far I'm impressed, though they haven't embarrassed the Decware Silver Reference yet, but I know that it's unfair to expect them to be "all they can be" yet.

Looking forward to your assessments Lon. The first pair I bought, used on AudiogoN, is quite nice. I agree they seem well made.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #38 - 01/28/12 at 18:42:31

So far I'm definitely impressed, the tonal balance is nice and there's a tad more body to the sound that is nice to have. I expect them to go through a few shifts for a few weeks.

For 71 dollars total, a real bargain.

My listening impressions are a bit skewed as I experimented with different footers under my speakers. A month or so ago I went from using nothing under them (just sitting on the carpet--I still haven't received stock spikes or grilles) to using the Herbie's Audio Lab "Little Fat Gliders." Reading about Barry Diament's isolation theories I tried using the clear acrylic balls for Herbie's Audio Lab "IsoCups" sitting inside 2" automotive freeze plugs, to sort of make a version of Diament's "Hip Joints." Though a pain to set up, this has been a fun experiment. The midrange has been freed of some congestion I didn't know that I had and overall the dynamics have been a bit more showcased as well. Luckily the speaker height hasn't been raised too high, that makes a big difference to me in my room and with my ears.

IN a week or so I'll put the Decware Silver Reference ICs back in and compare the sound to the MAC ICs.

If these continue to impress me I may consider one of the top of the line MAC ICs in time. I only have one analog IC in my system. . . .

« Last Edit: 01/28/12 at 18:47:05 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 01/28/12 at 19:25:27

It has been a while, but I think what happened with mine is that they just kept getting better at all of what they do. I don't recall ups and downs...just steady improvements.

« Last Edit: 01/28/12 at 19:30:05 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 01/28/12 at 19:28:02

Thanks will.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 01/28/12 at 19:47:14

Another thought on MAC.

My braided silver IC from MAC is a very nice cable too, but very different. I doubt you would like it Lon. Very open and articulate. Excellent in my case for the ZDAC/ZSTAGE connection, but this got me thinking.

The MAC Digital Pipe power cord you did not like the sound of, and the MAC HC power cord I thought was fine, and possibly similar to the Decware cable. They apparently play around a lot with different objectives and solutions. Poses the question: would both their high end ICs suit us, or would one have a preferable flavor over the other??? The latter seems likely.

That is if one decided to go there!

« Last Edit: 01/28/12 at 19:47:45 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #42 - 01/28/12 at 20:49:50

That's definitely a good question. If I decided to try one I'd contact Steve Halick and seek his advice. I've been reading reviews on the 'net and have some ideas what questions to ask and I think he would be helpful.

Makes sense that a very open and articulate cable would work well with th ZDAC. In my system that DAC was on the considerably warm and rich side and such a cable would be a nice balance.

It's likely quite a ways down the line but seems something worth exploring as a vital link that could be addressed.

« Last Edit: 01/28/12 at 20:51:18 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 01/29/12 at 01:32:17

Quote:
It's likely quite a ways down the line but seems something worth exploring as a vital link that could be addressed.

Yes, interesting idea to be sure. I will be interested to follow this track if it happens.

I mentioned the MAC auctions and the UltraSilver IC earlier since the topic was "cost-effective" ICs and in that context the MAC auctions are easy. Relative to be sure though as we all know. What is cost effective?

Now that we are talking of climbing the MAC ladder, I would be remiss not to mention Reality Cables ... realitycables.com

At 250, a different sort of bargain, but a bargain none-the-less. Also, partially burned in and with a return possibility! I got onto these from Eric Hider, the Tranquility DAC guy who I really trust the ears and mind of. As I understand it, he was part of a group of serious audio heads who worked with the Reality guys to figure out the most "not there" cable. They would send out ICs, get comments, implement refinements, and out they would go again. And it seems they did this for a long time before arriving at just the right wire, twists, RCAs etc.

Well, I use these as my main ICs Tranquility to Torii, and they are amazing. I just did some direct comparisons to the MAC UltraSliver, and both have nice qualities, but I would say the Reality does everything more transparently...more body, depth, dynamics, micro dynamics, micro detail, texture...

I had one pair in each Torii input, left the volume the same for each test tune, and switched cables on the Tranquility. The Reality actually sounded louder they were so much less restricted.

Not that the MACs didn't sound great, and could be a valid choice, but by comparison, to me the Reality is another level of pure sound flow.

Wink

Of course, my system, source etc.....

« Last Edit: 01/29/12 at 01:34:57 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #44 - 01/29/12 at 03:15:27

Definitely worth looking into, thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print