Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/25/14 at 01:11:45

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Headphones different without speakers connected (Read 9864 times)
Don W

Re: Headphones different without speakers connected
Reply #30 - 10/02/12 at 16:05:16

I bought them from the link above.

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Don W

Reply #31 - 03/14/14 at 13:43:57

This thread is really old and I don't know if anyone will see this, but I feel a responsibility to post an update. When I made the initial post describing the difference through headphones when speakers are connected and when they are not, that difference was really, truly, a large, impossible to ignore, difference. It really did sound bad without speakers connected and it confused me that others did not seem to be having the same experience. Well, it turns out that my amp had a disconnected loopback wire. That's right. Not long ago I sent the Taboo in for an upgrade to the new lucid mode. It came back with a note that the loopback wire had come disconnected during shipping and had been fixed. WELL, now I can discern barely any difference at all when listening through headphones without the speakers connected vs. when they are. The only perceptible difference I can hear is a slight - very slight - change in volume. That loopback wire had been disconnected since I first got the amp! So if you have a Taboo with headphone jack and listen to it without speakers connected don't worry, there is nothing sub par about that, at all!

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 07/04/14 at 03:46:25

I thought you couldn't upgrade to new lucid mode on the Taboo MKII?

IP Logged
Don W

Reply #33 - 07/04/14 at 17:04:56

Call Steve at Decware.

IP Logged
zen101
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 09/10/14 at 06:01:38

OK so I read on head-fi that it was not safe to listen to headphones without speakers attached to the MKII.  But you seem to say it's safe - so I spoke to Steve and found out it is but that different resistors can help voice the amp...  so I would imagine that speakers connected would make it sound different through headphones but when I listen with speakers connected I hear no difference too.  

Nevertheless Steve at his suggestion - saying there would be differences - so to see if there are differences - "voicing" the amp- I bought resistors from him.  I'll see if there is a difference when they get here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print