Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/14 at 07:28:39

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Headphones different without speakers connected (Read 7437 times)
Don W

Re: Headphones different without speakers connected
Reply #15 - 01/10/12 at 23:55:56

I talked to Steve on the phone about this. He said playing headphones without speakers connected will sound different. Not necessarily worse or better, but different. The results will depend on the headphones and personal taste - I happen to think the LCD2's are much better when speakers are connected. He also said you can bridge the speaker connectors with a resistor to get the same results as if speakers are connected. Use 4, 8, 10 ohm resistor or just experiment to get the result you want. This is interesting because with different ohm resistors you could get totally different sounds out of the headphones.

I also asked about a speaker cutoff switch for the Taboo. He can do it, but at present he doesn't attempt to make it as if the speakers are connected when flipping the switch. It would be as if you disconnected the speakers. But, he could put a resistor in there when building the switch if one wanted. Also, a down side of installing a speaker/headphone switch in the Taboo is that with it installed there is no way to play the speakers and headphones at the same time. My experience is that having speakers on at low level when using phones is nice. For one, it adds a bit of three dimensionallity to the listenning experience because of the body's ability to feel the sound waves, even if they are low. But also it makes it so when you take off the phones it isn't like shutting off the music completely, so you can keep tracking it.

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/11/12 at 00:53:42

Good stuff to know. Thanks Don. I like the idea of building a couple of "resitor/jumpers."

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/11/12 at 13:09:02

I have to cancel my request for a speaker cutoff switch.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/13/12 at 12:23:56

Thankfully I was able to speak with Steve and nix the installation of a speaker cutoff on my TABOO. Not a good idea to begin with.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 02/09/12 at 17:55:12

So to get this straight, you can buy a cheap resistor and attach it to the + and i?  Or are you bridging both channels?

As in + to + and - to -

In the same vein wouldnt it just be better to connect the LCD-2s to the speaker taps.  With the right headphone cabling of course.

« Last Edit: 02/09/12 at 17:56:26 by Rita Rodriguez »  
  IP Logged
Don W

Reply #20 - 02/09/12 at 18:42:16

As I understand it, yes, a cheap resistor connecting + and i is what you want. Simulates connected speakers. I don't know - I wonder - if using a resistor of same ohm as the speakers are rated will make headphones sound same as when speakers are plugged in. Note that I always just keep the speakers connected when listenning to headphones, so I don't have first hand experience with this.

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 02/09/12 at 18:47:25

so before I blow out my taboo in whatever period of time it takes to create.  That is connect opposites(+-)  or sames(++, --).

IP Logged
Don W

Reply #22 - 02/09/12 at 18:59:05

Connect opposites. Connect two which are right next to each other, it will only need a short resistor.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/09/12 at 23:59:30

Wonder if an attenuated RCA-RCA jumper would do the trick as well.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/10/12 at 01:06:49

My TABOO came back from DECWARE with the speaker cutoff switch, though I tried to stop it from being installed. It works fine. You can hear the audio either through the speakers or the headphone jack, not both. My unit works fine with Sennheiser 580's. I don't know what the big deal is about.

IP Logged
Rita Rodriguez
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 06/06/12 at 18:10:55

What I wish I could try today is bypassing the headphone jack completely and just using the speaker post and buying te headphone cable capable of it.

I miss the days radio shack sold what I needed, resistors.  Not tv's and DVR's

« Last Edit: 06/06/12 at 21:35:56 by Rita Rodriguez »  
  IP Logged
dminches
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 06/09/12 at 14:28:41

Has the resistor situation been resolved? Have any of your purchased resistors for your Taboos?  If so, where did you get them and what resistance works best?  I am thinking of getting a Taboo to use with my LCD-3s.  Any information would be appreciated.

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 10/01/12 at 12:20:05

I use headphones without speakers attached.  In my rig, I have found the Decware resistors push the soundstage back several rows.  With some tube combinations this is advantageous, with others not so much.  I haven't found a tube combo I am satisfied with as yet for my CSP2+/Taboo so my final opinion on the resistors is pending.  They are definitely a useful tuning tool.

IP Logged
Don W

Reply #28 - 10/02/12 at 16:01:53

I usually listen to headphones with the speakers connected. But when I do disconnect the speakers, I like a 7.5 ohm resistor best. This is with LCD-3s. I tried resistors from 10 ohm to 3 ohm and for me 7.5 is the sweet spot. I can't tolerate no resistor at all. I haven't found personally that tube combination has much of an affect on this.

A good place to buy resistors is Parts Express. Here's a link: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/general-purpose-resistors/1528
You can filter the list to show only 5 Watt resistors, which is what you want.

IP Logged
dminches
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 10/02/12 at 16:04:08

Don, are the 7.5 ohm resistors from Steve or did you buy them on your own?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print