Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/30/14 at 23:01:14

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bass response...  Tube rolling? (Read 6224 times)
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Bass response...  Tube rolling?
Reply #15 - 01/04/12 at 16:51:43

For what its worth.....I once heard an SE34I with the four EL34 tubes that had KT77's installed. The difference in bass from the EL34 to the KT77 was outstanding while still keeping what the EL34 did so well. The KT77 worked real well in my first Generation Torii, giving the same effect.

I have no idea if the same results could be had with the SE34-2 or not, but for the price of two tubes, it might just be worth it.

Just a thought,

ZYGI

« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 16:52:48 by ZYGI »  

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 01/06/12 at 08:07:19

Dear Ski Bum,

You have translated what I have been hearing into words so well.  As soon as the break-in is completed (I still have 200-250 hours to go), I will start investigating all the options you have presented, namely the EX mode as well as the sub-bass enhancement.

In the meantime, I will look into the KT77's suggested by ZYGI.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Best,

Alper

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 01/25/12 at 09:57:27

So, here is what I did...

I took the advice by Ski Bum and went for a active subwoofer by Dali.  It is the IKON SUB MK2 model and it has improved the system significantly.  

I was not so sure about swapping the EL34's with KT77's as that would be giving up the benefits from the Hazen Grid Mod which I like.  Also, I went back to my NOS Mullard GZ32's which can be slightly bass shy in comparison to the Sylvania's I had (this might be a pseudo effect that I think I am hearing though).  So, I went back to my favorite set of tubes with this amp.

Anyway, to cut the long story short, I am currently a happy camper!  Thanks for all the input!

Best,

Alper

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 02/27/12 at 08:57:57

Here is a new update for those who are interested in hearing...

I recently bought a pair of Genalex Gold Lion KT77's just to give a try...  It has some serious bass in comparison to the EL34's.  So the current tube combination is as follows:

On the SE34I.2+:
6N1P (bought from Decware)
Genalex Gold Lion KT77
GZ32 (Mullard NOS from 1967)

On the CSP:
6N2P on all three positions (bought from Decware)
Bendix 6106

Lon - I tried the 6N2P's on the SE34 further to your reccommendation, but they were a little on the loud side as far as hum goes.  Without the pre in the signal chain, that amp is dead silent with all sorts of tubes.  Somehow, as soon as the CSP is put in lime, there is hum in the system, which is fine with 6N1P on the SE34, but when I swap them with the 6N2P's, somehow, it gets quite loud.  Not as loud as getting in the way of the music, but when nothing plays...

Cheers,

Alper

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 02/27/12 at 13:21:59

Hi Alper,

Sorry about the hum on the .2 with the 6N2Ps. I did finally find two to use in that amp that were low enough in hum that I could use them. . . . Most however had big hum issues.

I haven't tried KT77s in a long time, although they made impressive bass I couldn't get past their treble presentation at the time. But that was before I had amps with Steve's treble cut circuit. . . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print