Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/24/14 at 12:30:23

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print
SE34i.2+ being discontinued! (Read 19202 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: SE34i.2+ being discontinued!
Reply #75 - 01/03/12 at 16:29:49

Ok ski, same thing with the other two alternatives: too old! These were discontinued in 1996. Assuming the ones on sale are from that last production year (tough chance), they are 15 years old minimum.

I need to clarify that I don't live in the US. My last residence there was in Chapel Hill, N.C., while getting my Ph.D. many years ago (UNC). I'm going to use an importer to bring the stuff down here, in Panama. This fact complicates matters for refurbishing old/used equipment.

This also precludes me from taking advantage of 30-day trials, as shipping back and forth this distance is prohibitive, including also double customs clearing fees.

Finally, I need to point out that I pay a mark-up of 33 % on average on every US price to have it sent to my place (shipping, customs, importer's fees, etc.)

I tried to contact Steve a while ago but he's out of the office, so I'll talk to him later.  I'll ask him about the DM945, the only suitable speaker in the Decware range within my budget.

Thanks for trying ski, I really appreciate your support.  Later ...

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 01/03/12 at 19:25:41

Ok, your location complicates matters.

Panama makes me think of exotic local hardwoods.  If I were you, I might consider getting one of the Pi kits on the cheap and contract a local artisan to have some beautiful, exotic wood cabs made locally.  It would probably end up being less expensive than shipping any pair of built cabs from here.  Think of the possibilites!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #77 - 01/03/12 at 21:31:11

Yes, theoretically. In reality, local artisan skills are scarse and quite expensive. Furthermore, exotic hardwoods are now protected by law, so these are either very expensive (export) or unavailable for the common public.  Besides, it will take forever to have them done.  In the end, is still going to be cheaper bringing the cabs surface (by sea).

Had the privilege to speak to the Master: Suggested Mini-Torii & the DM945's. He explained their features and strong points. Steve seems a very nice guy, indeed.  The problem is, I agree with him, so nobody is going to defend my money  :-/

Well, I need to think about this whole issue for a little while more. BTW, according to Steve, that integrated will be back in a new chassis and probably with the power tube regulation feature, around springtime. That's a long wait for me.

I'll get back to Ben Webster et Al.  later ...

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #78 - 01/03/12 at 22:35:27

Well, there you go. You got the verdict from the big man's mouth. I'd follow it. Smiley

It's interesting to me as for some reason I've no curiosity or interest really in the Mini-Torii. Partly I think that's because I already had interest in the Torii, and because I had really grown a bit crazy from tube-rolling when it was introduced as a great platform. . . for tube-rolling. Smiley Also, in guitar amps, I had most problems both with maintenance and finding the sound I want with an amp I've had that used 6V6 tubes. None-the-less I'm sure it's a fantastic amp, seeing  the devotion that owners have for it, and the glowing reports from those who hear it.

« Last Edit: 01/03/12 at 22:36:28 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 01/04/12 at 00:51:14

Our Man In Panama

The Mini Torii/DM945 combo is one that I had not envisioned. I am sure that Steve, based on what you told him, came up with that to address all your wants.

The main advantage to the Mini Torii is that with changes in tubes you might feel you have a different amp. The 6V6 tube gives a good overall presentation, well-defined soundstage with a prominent midrange and good bass. A 6L6 would open up the soundstage, make it less defined and beef up the bass. You can also play with the inputs as well. A 12AU7 is only a starting place. You could go 12AT7 or even 12AX7.

My MINI is no less than a sonic, thermionic marvel.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #80 - 01/04/12 at 01:11:39

Yeah, funny how things have developed in the last couple of weeks ... From the SE34i.2+ to the Zen Triode monos, to single SE84C+, to single Zen Triode and ZStage ...  and now the Mini-Torii.  Out went the speakers I considered elsewhere too (given the specs).

The point is, the Mini-Torii shares the best of a SET with lots of headroom, pace and flexibility, similar to the Torii (keeping scales out).  I'm not so much into rolling either (never done it), but the opportunity is there anyway, who knows.

I see you play the guitar ... Interesting, when I was a teenager I had a rock band, played the lead guitar (not too good). I then played only for myself and close friends off and on for another 20 years.  It's been over 15 years since I quit playing altogether.  

I'll go check 'What's spinning?' for fresh ideas ...

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 01/04/12 at 01:21:24

If you want to consider the SE84C+ again......

Not sure how you feel about single driver speakers, but I have a pair of Hoyt-Bedford Type 1 speakers (8" 8 ohm 97dB) paired with a 1.7 watt SET and they can get very loud together.

I used to have a pair of Omega Compact Hemp speakers (8" 8 ohm 96dB /same company as H-B above) that I used with my Decware SE84B, that combination also worked very well.

Lin

« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 01:23:50 by opnly_bafld »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #82 - 01/04/12 at 01:21:41

I play a bit of guitar, it's more that I love instruments and their construction and sounds, I'm not good at playing guitar, a bit better at bass, probably a bit better at piano and I'm best at drums, I played drums in a few bands ending 22 years ago. Just play for myself now, it serves as a sort of meditation for me.

I've collected a lot of instruments but I'm not doing them justice so I'll probably seel a number of them soon.

I'm glad you got an answer and the speaker situation was well thought out and prodded by openly-baffled and ski bum, man this place is just amazing. It's been interesting to see the progression of your inquiries and decisions. Hope it all comes together as you'd like!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #83 - 01/04/12 at 02:00:41

Riv, you know, I think he was trying to accomodate the fact that I started looking for the integrated, and he feels the Mini is even better (not as an amplifier, mind you), but in the sense that it offers so much in one package (essentially, a two mono SET in one chassis, like the SE34i.2+, but with the improved headroom stemming from the tube input stage power treatment).

He also stressed the advantages of tube rolling.  It's also reassuring that you really like your Mini.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #84 - 01/04/12 at 02:11:39

I hear you opnly_bafld, and I'm not yet completely sold on the Mini, but it really tempts me. The thing is, playing loud enough is one thing, but having that power reserve is another. The Mini offers both greater power at 3.3 W/c but also the improved headroom due to the tube input stage power treatment.

Steve even mentioned that this is the only way to avoid having to use the PS Audio (something, I forgot), which conditions your main input before going to the amp.  Much of the grainy, edgy sounds at high frequencies stem from dirty mains supply.

The best way to actually get rid of this dirty element is through the power rectification and voltage regulation performed through tube amplification, which is one of the advantages of the Mini.

Economically, I'd rather spend less with a single Zen Triode and try cheaper (but capable) speakers.  I'll take a look at those speakers you mentioned. Thanks for your input.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 01/04/12 at 02:12:03

I bought the third MINI ever produced, a prototype with a painted top plate. It was the first one made using EX transformers. At the time they were deciding which transformers to use and decided that the EX transformers went better with all the speakers. This amp came to me fully broken in and sounded divine! I ended up selling it to turn around any buy a regular factory model with the powder coat top; this was a stupid, cosmetic reason. I am needless to say very happy with the new MINI TORII I bought. The first thing that struck me about the amp was the stunning stereo separation it offered. Technically it is SEP, but it is little different from SET. It is done very well.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 01/04/12 at 02:26:08

"The thing is, playing loud enough* is one thing, but having that power reserve is another."

But doesn't a systems ability to play way louder than you listen translate into power reserve/headroom?
(Not saying the flea watter is the answer for you, I have the luxury of 2 VG systems so I can have my cake and eat it too. Wink)

I won't tell you my 09' Decfest story (it ends with you spending more money). Smiley

*actually I said "very loud" which of course means different things to different people

« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 02:55:26 by opnly_bafld »  
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #87 - 01/04/12 at 02:27:03

Thank you, Lon. You and all the guys in this great forum who have kindly supported me so far, have been instrumental in the imminent definition of a setting that I expect to enjoy for years to come.

Come on, now, your instruments' versatility is uncommon among non-professional musicians, so I think you deserve more credit than you allow yourself.  This makes me remember the tremendous joy I experienced while playing in my teen group.  I think playing in a band (good or bad) is just great fun!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #88 - 01/04/12 at 02:42:07

So there you have it, Riv, a pioneer among us mortals, in the use and abuse of the now famous Mini-Torii. It should feel great to have had that opportunity. And, you're right, it is a Singe-Ended Pentode configuration.  

Steve mentioned that this is the only one (SEP) that sounds the way it does, as far as he can tell. I could feel he was very proud of this accomplishment. He said he had broken several 'rules' when designing it!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #89 - 01/04/12 at 02:51:39

You are probably right, opnly_bafld. Yet, for some reason, Steve insisted in pointing out the special Torii-like (the bigger brother PP design) headroom.  Again, I think he refers to the pristine loudness that may be possible with the input power treatment via tubes (rectification/regulation), that is not present in the Sen Triode.

It's like when he described the DM945 speakers' performance (other than the specs we were discussing about), he talked about the 'body' of the music, as a distinctive attribute from the DM's compared to other bookshelf type speakers.

I think both avenues are a great start, and I'm still considering all corners.  Thanks for pointing this out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print