Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/29/14 at 13:44:46

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
SE34i.2+ being discontinued! (Read 16846 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: SE34i.2+ being discontinued!
Reply #30 - 12/29/11 at 21:33:04

Ha! I'm 56. I don't know, I know I'm different (pretty much always have been) but the joy in speeding along really diminished with me about 20 years ago. I'm glad. I get into enough trouble obeying the limits! Smiley

I do love being on two wheels though. Was just out admiring my old R90. Hasn't run for over twenty-one years. . . except in my imagination!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
don pettit

Reply #31 - 12/29/11 at 22:17:05

hi fireblade,  i often use my 84c+ to drive my 95 db efficient audio nirvana 12s. small very irregularly shaped room.  i do use a csp2.  also use a zbox i just got from lon (thank you, lon).  the zbox seems to eat up some output power so i do have to turn up the whole kit and caboodle to keep up loud sounds.  my experience is that the zen is reaching the limit of it's strength without the csp2.....my experience may be being influenced by my unwillingness to turn the zen all the way up.  just me?? so at that point i hook up my pre-owned se34.1 (highly modded by steve to be basically a power amp.  do not know the power output.  just forgot to ask steve.  mystery to me.  just know that decware has started to pull me out of my profound state of audio ignorance......possible suggestion: there is a feature on audiogon  that allows one to  list one's interest in a particular item.  go to the decware section, find the wanteds and proceed.  good luck, don

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #32 - 12/30/11 at 01:02:09

If I had to speculate (and I will so here goes...) The integrated is being discontinued because it's based on the old chassie design. áThe other thing is that the Mini Torii is a competing amp at that price point and that tends to confuse customers. á
The Mini torii has quite a few design updates such as the voltage regulation and I think that is probably more than worth the $200 difference (at least until the end of the year).

If I was in your position I'd jump on a Mini Torii. á
Second Choice would be a Torii III and then you can wait in line with the rest of us. á á Wink á

« Last Edit: 12/30/11 at 01:03:43 by Jason »  
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 12/30/11 at 01:38:36

Fire:

Before buying my little ZEN SE84C+ in October I owned a TABOO and a MINI TORII. I must confess that the SET magic of the little ZEN amp took me by surprise. Not that it is "better" but different in a certain captivating, involving way. For example, I took two weeks off for the holidays and brought the ZEN home rather than leave it at the office.  

Now I am thinking of someday acquiring another ZEN to create monoblocks, or two ZEN SELECT SE84ZS to monoblock, or the ZEN SE84ZTM MONOBLOCKS with the tube regulation. I might just do it.  Therefore, I think you are on the right track to begin with an SET amp. I should have.      

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #34 - 12/30/11 at 03:24:58

Donnie, you mean the high level speaker input in your Sub, right? That is, a pair of speaker wires (L+R) from the amp's speaker OUT to the high level speaker IN of the Sub?  Thanks.

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #35 - 12/30/11 at 03:39:19

Thank you, Don Pettit. Now this is not good news. My listening room is small also and somewhat irregular (opening on one side) 15' x 10', so I may need more power also (same 95dBs).  Unless the Nirvanas have a complex crossover and/or an odd impedance curve.

I don't understand the ZStage consuming output power? I thought the whole idea of that box was to increase gain and to boost the amp's output/dynamics/performance, with an added tube flair. How come it is doing the opposite?

I think that adding a 2nd ZEN in a 2-monos config should be even better than adding a preamp to a little guy like the Zen. I mean, it does not need really any further tube flavor, what it needs is a buddy to carry the load!  Although the gain stage of a CSP2+ helps (as should the ZStage), there's no substitute for power in this case.  And it's even cheaper ... Am I wrong here?

Thanks ang good listening!

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 12/30/11 at 03:46:31

Don was talking about the ZBOX which is different from the ZSTAGE. The ZBOX is a unity gain buffer amp, not a preamp.

When you really need power, nothing else will really do. But the CSP2+ or the ZSTAGE bring many benefits to the table. If you look at the owner's manual for the ZSTAGE there's a section where Steve writes about "riding the gain." A fascinating and fun process whereby weight and dynamics can be added (or subtracted!) from the sound. I love my CSP2!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #37 - 12/30/11 at 04:07:50

Hi Jason, thanks for joining in!  You may be right on the first assumption, but it seems to me these are two distinct niches:

1. The Mini Torii is a technological show-case (the jewel of the house). Boasts all kinds of engineering tricks, including miniature dimensions. It's like two Zens sharing the same chassis, but with many non-standard features. Only 4 W/c (8 Ohms)

2. The Zen Triode is a classical SET amp, which when bridged provides 4 W mono (8 Ohms). With larger tubes this power goes to 6 W mono. Sharing the same chassis, these two monos act like an integrated amp.  More power and convenience, no extra features but without the need of a preamp.  Classic design integrated SET.

Regardless of pricing, these are distinct offerings to satisfy different needs.  I bet the new chassis is part of an upgrade, as you said, and maybe a price increase justification over the SE34i.2+.  I doubt and hope this model won't be discontinued indefinitely.

That's just my ill-informed guess, so take it with a grain of salt. I like the Mini-Torii but I can't jump on it before talking to Steve about my real options. He's coming back after the offer has expired, but cÚ la vie!

Take care now ...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #38 - 12/30/11 at 04:18:20

Thank you Rivieraranch, for sharing that thought. I always wanted to try a real SET (a purist audiophile dream). I think this is my opportunity. The same price would get me a full blown 35 W/c all tube PP AB1 amp, fully upgraded, including a step attenuator and even a tube rectifier, on a time-proven amp like Bob Latino's Dynaco VTA ST-to, but is not the same.  

I rather spend in sensitive speakers and a Triode SET, and get more sound quality at same levels of Sound Pressure (SPLs) not power.  Thanks again. Great listening ...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #39 - 12/30/11 at 04:30:12

Hi Lon, thanks for pointing that out. It seems I keep confusing all this weird names .. He He..! (maybe Alzheimer's is getting close?  HOPE NOT!!)

Indeed I meant the ZBox. Just replace that name where appropriate in my previous discussion, thats exactly what I was trying to say.  

BTW, my ex BMW R1200C will become a classic in due time, just because of the odd and unique style (and 1st and last Cruiser from BMW). I purchased the first one that came out in 1996/7.  The R90 was similar to one of my first bikes, a Moto Guzzi 850 T (1975 model). God I'm old!!  Cheers,

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #40 - 12/30/11 at 10:13:09

This is to correct some statements I made in a previous message: I inadvertently assigned the ZBox attributes from the ZStage. My apologies.  The ZStage is the one that could help boost performance and dynamics when amp's power is in its limits, no the ZBox, sorry.

Later ...

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #41 - 12/31/11 at 15:26:28

Hey Fire.  You are right in that the Torii platform is technologically different that any of the true SET's.
Quite honestly, if I was trying to choose M Torii vs Integrated, I'd like to have an integrated myself.  In fact, I would trade my first gen Torii for an integrated.
I started off in Decware land with a Torii because of the power but along the way I did have a Zen Select for a while to compare it to.  Had to have one just to make sure I wasn't missing something.
I owned another SET along the way too.
In the end the bigger Torii's won out as being best overall amp.

I hope if the integrated lives on it will be on the new platform with the OA3 regulation added.
I will be sorry to see it leave if it doesn't return.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #42 - 12/31/11 at 15:45:54

Hey Jason, you're right, an Integrated on the new platform with a few more regulation stages would be a natural evolution of the product, and a fine machine. But I think that the "line" could use an Integrated at the price point the old one held; I think such a new one would be a bit more expensive(?)

There are many wonderful choices in the Decware catalog. You can really suit your room and power needs and always have a quality amp with great sound.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #43 - 12/31/11 at 19:05:25

Hey Jason, what exactly is the OA3 regulation? I'm glad you like your big Torii. Have you had the opportunity to compare the Zen Triode (SE84C+) with your Zen SELECT? Are there great differences? I think Lon mentioned that this was kind of an upgraded version of the Zen Triode?  I'm curious about these upgrades.

Regarding the integrated, I hope Steve offers some fast replacement at reasonable prices.  Also, could you tell me exactly why you think the big Torii is a better amp overall (other than power)?  

I hear you Lon, and agree with both statements. Later ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #44 - 12/31/11 at 19:19:27

An OA3 is a voltage regulator tube type. This is one of the tube types you can use in the voltage regulator stage of the Torii.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print