Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/29/14 at 09:44:45

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print
SE34i.2+ being discontinued! (Read 16841 times)
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Re: SE34i.2+ being discontinued!
Reply #15 - 12/28/11 at 23:25:28

I see, I took it to mean that at some point in the (near?) future it would no longer be available.

« Last Edit: 12/28/11 at 23:26:11 by opnly_bafld »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 12/28/11 at 23:37:35

And we're both guessing! Smiley Hopefully we'll have solid info soon.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #17 - 12/29/11 at 02:31:13

I went the other way around, Lon. From a Cruiser (Moto Guzzi, BMW R1200C) to sportsbikes (Fireblade, Kawi, R1, Fireblade again).

I thought about the single SE84C+ with the assistance of a preamp to boost the input gain and overall output of the little guy, but I'm not sure if my 95 dBs will allow that (listening room is small though).

Ha Ha! ... Ride-On Donnie, good points (especially the Van stuff .. hehe!). Good point on the output voltage check on my USB/DAC: 2.25V full scale output.  Apparently barely enough by itself?

opnly_bafld, those specs contradict literature from Steve on this same site, as noted in my previous post.

Regarding your assumption of my resistance to buy the SE34i.2+, its not. I actually tried to buy through the site and the link was disabled. Sent an email and that was the answer I got from Sarah.  

I would love to be able to get my hands on one of those, as per my needs. Furthermore, I think it is such an important niche, I asume Steve will be replacing it with an upgraded version anytime now (maybe prices will go up with an "upgrade")

Again Lon, your suggestion of a single SE84C+ aided by a preamp (has to be the CSP2+, the ZStage is a Kit and I would not touch it!), makes sense. I read Steve mentioning the boosting properties of this preamp on all Decware amps. Is that right?  Take care now ...

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #18 - 12/29/11 at 02:59:56

Oh wait! The combined prices of CSP2+ and single SE84C+ is $1,670.00, exactly $375.00 more of what I was prepared to pay for the SE34i.2+   and coming short by 2 W/c !! Choice 1

Now, we are in the ballpark of the more sophisticated Mini-Torii at  $1,695.00 at 4 W/c.  Choice 2

Assuming my USB/DAC works with SE84C+ monos, $1,550.00 Choice 3

I think I need to find out if there will be a replacement for the SE34i.2 anytime soon, and the new price.  Choice 4

As you can see, the best deal has always been the original SE34i.2+ at the original price.  Later ...

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/29/11 at 03:28:40

A single Zen SE84C+ and a ZSTAGE would be right around $1200. From all I have read here I think that would do great for you.

I am running a ZEN SE84C+ from 94 db efficient speakers with a 2.5 volt source and I can't turn the volume all the way up without the sound level being uncomfortable.

When I run the ZEN with my 89 db efficient speakers and a 2.0 volt source I can turn it all the way up. It is loud enough and the sound has weight and body.

The MINI TORII would have no problem with a 2 volt signal either  

I ran a ZEN up at DECFEST with a ZSTAGE through 89db efficient speakers and it was incredible; the sound had a lot of weight, authority and control.    

« Last Edit: 12/29/11 at 03:30:02 by Rivieraranch »  

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/29/11 at 04:27:12

FWIW the specs I gave are not something that I made up, but are taken from the product pages.

The ZStage is a finished product: http://www.decware.com/newsite/zstage.html

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 12/29/11 at 13:20:34

Well, just be careful on that Fireblade. I backed off on speeding around because of the danger component. Exactly a year ago I could have been killed when struck from behind by a pickup truck while I was STOPPED waiting to make a left-hand turn.:)

The ZSTAGE is NOT a kit. I guess you were referring to the chassis/box. I agree that the CSP2+ may be a better choice (that huge transformer does something and so does the tube regulation, and you can individually adjust each channel, so you have a very good balance control, and it's BEAUTIFUL) but the ZSTAGE is a fully-assembled fully-realized preamp from the builder.

I really think if you have a small room and aren't partially deaf Wink that with 96db speakers a C+ and a preamp will do you fine. The only real drawback would be if the speakers had a very complex crossover network.

It's time to call Steve!

« Last Edit: 12/29/11 at 13:22:07 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #22 - 12/29/11 at 13:35:51

Hello Rivieraranch and opnly_bafld, these are really good news! Thanks for pointing them out. I could not find the ZStage, as I was looking under preamps. The price total of this combo would be $1,372.00 exactly (or, $77.00 more than the SE34i.2+, which is reasonable).

It's good to hear you can move 94dB speakers at normal listening levels with just the single SE84C+.  Of course, my DAC outputs a max of 2.25 Volts only, so I probably would have to include the ZStage.

It is also great to learn that  the ZStage manages to provide the single SE84C+ (you guys call it the Zen?) the body and dynamics you described, even with 89 dBs speakers!

This narrows the issue to basically two choices:

1. Single SE84C+ and a ZStage Combo at 2 W/c ($1,373.00) = $686.50 / Watt

2. Pair of SE84C+s bridged as Monoblocks at 6 W/c ($1,550.00) = $258.33 / Watt

I need more inputs to make the final decision between these two options now (not financially, that is clear, mind you, but from the perspective of overall performance). I guess I will be asking Steve.

Thank you guys again, these are better news than I thought possible at this point. Enjoy your listening and keep me posted.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #23 - 12/29/11 at 13:49:53

Hi Lon, thanks for your continued support. I know there are risks involved, as everything in life. I've had my share of accidents (one in particular, out of which I was able to walk away, very fortunate indeed.) But you know, I do it with brains and technique, so I don't take stupid chances. Granted, you may not control the other variables, but that's part of the fun out of it. The adrenaline is such a high!

You are probably right about the CSP2+, it would be great, but I think redundant in my case, and too expensive.  The speakers I'm ordering are 95 dBs (not 96) but according to Steve's suggestions in the site, that puts them right in the middle of the ideal range (94-96).

Sarah indicated Steve would be back from holidays by Jan 3rd, so that's when I will be making my final decision.  Good riding ...

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 12/29/11 at 14:29:56

You could just begin by trying a single ZEN SE84C+ to see how it does with your speakers. Then decide on whether to buy another ZEN to monoblock, or whether to buy a ZSTAGE or CSP2+ to augment a single ZEN setup.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 12/29/11 at 14:30:55

Well, ride carefully as well. I just don't get the high from the speed any longer. Happens. . . age makes changes. I may or may not be older than you.:) Happy trails!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #26 - 12/29/11 at 20:40:58

Hey guys, thanks for your advice. That is a good idea Rivieraranch, to order just one SE84C+ and see what happens. I would hate to have to order again, so I'm going to ask Steve what would be my chances of success with just one amp, explaining to him my parasite passive DAC output condition (Music Streamer II takes power from the USB cable directly, no power source of its own).  

I also do not know what the DAC's specs term "maximum output voltage: 2.25 V" means (i.e., it goes from 0 to 2.25 Max, so it's not a nominal figure).  Steve will make sense out of this I guess.

Lon, I'm sure I'm older than you. But remember, age is a state of mind.

Can't wait for Jan 3rd ... Take care now.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #27 - 12/29/11 at 20:57:04

Guys, I had forgotten this and I'm sure you will know the answer:  I usually complement my system with a SUB (Velodyne 60 Watts, decent performance) for the lowest frequencies.  

Now my question is how would I go about connecting it to the SE84C+, as I do not see any SUB OUT in back.  I do not see PRE OUTs either (it does not have a Pre anyway). These connections are RCA (mono or L+R, respectively). Those are about the only ways I have connected my SUB in the past

I know some people hook an extra pair of speaker wires from the power amp's speaker OUT (L+R) and connect them to the SUB's speaker input binders.  My SUB has an active XOver to pre-determine the cut-off frequecy to process only those low frequencies, but I have not used it via speaker terminals, so I'm not sure.

Have you guys done it this way with Decware gear? Could you explain?  Thanks again for your support.  Later ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 12/29/11 at 21:29:37

I neither have a sub nor sub expertise, but I remember reading in the forum that using the speaker wire level connections is BEST. If you do a search, I KNOW there are threads or many posts on this subject over the years. . . .

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #29 - 12/29/11 at 21:30:29

Fireblade,
I have my sub hooked up with speaker wire to the high level inputs. Seems to work pretty well plus you get a little "Tube lovin'" from your main amp. I'm thinking about getting real serious with the sub thing and having ZYGI build me a Imperial SO this coming year. That should put a little rumble in my neighborhood.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print