Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/28/14 at 07:30:54

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
SE34i.2+ being discontinued! (Read 16799 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: SE34i.2+ being discontinued!
Reply #120 - 01/07/12 at 17:28:27

opnly_bafld posted this link:

Quote:

This is a good summary. I have a lot of respect for Geddes' work, and I have heard some of that theory in practice. Some very good speakers. But I have always found his multi-sub approach especially interesting, particularly his advice not to high-pass your main speakers. A lot of other writers seem to recommend high-pass specifically to reduce their bass load. I am probably more in that latter camp as well.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #121 - 01/07/12 at 20:04:31

opnly_bafld, found the article, thanks.  Pale Rider, your link is broken. Could you check it out?

Anyway, the matter is much more complex than I thought. I think I'm going to experiment when the time comes.  In the mean time, I'll stick to a single SUB, linked through the DAC and will adjust the volume at both sides of the equation (amp and SUB) for volume adjustments.

If it sounds good enough, fine.  If not, I'll start researching the subject more thoroughly.  Thanks to all for your assistance.

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
MarkBlair

Reply #122 - 01/07/12 at 20:38:15

Fireblade -

In essence, my DAC (with its volume control) is also acting as a pre-amp.  So if your DAC doesn't have a volume control, I suggest (as you thought) splitting off your pre-amp outs to control both the subs' and amp's volume at the same time.

And you can certainly survive with just one sub -- but it's a myth that low bass is mono.  And so there are two arguments for multiple subs: 1) you can achieve a more uniform bass response (in this case, the two or more subs usually work with mono bass), and 2) you can achieve true stereo bass with two subs (or multiples of two if you're particularly adventurous!).

In my case, I was actually able to achieve both goals -- true stereo bass and a pretty darn flat response (but only at my central sweet spot) down to 30Hz.  Most folks are happy achieving goal #1 (which is certainly not a trivial accomplishment).  That was my primary goal (an even bass response).  But since I was able to accomplish that with my subs symetrically placed just in front of my nearfield monitors (but on the floor), I was also able to get true stereo bass.  And for true stereo recordings from an actual venue (as opposed to being synthesized with an mixing console and added stereo effects), you can certainly hear the difference with stereo bass.

Again, I've been very lucky with my setup.  BUT -- if I hadn't tried it, I would have never known it would work so well.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #123 - 01/07/12 at 22:13:47

For true venue recordings, as you call them, theoretically a stereo bass audio system (objective 2) should reflect a time delay from one side (channel) SUB to the other, unless the recording of the bass happened to be in the exact middle of the physical soundstage.

This, because lower frequencies travel much slower (relatively speaking) and true stereo should reflect the distance from the bass player to either channel.  Is this the bass stereo effect you're referring to?

When you refer to uniform bass response (objective 1), isn't it equivalent to having a single SUB that does not peak or dip relative to the rest of the frequencies (i.e., the proper relative volume setting on the SUB)?

Trying to understand this ... thanks for your patience!

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
MarkBlair

Reply #124 - 01/07/12 at 22:33:48

Fireblade -

Sounds like you're on roughly the same page as I am (but bass doesn't travel slower than treble -- the wavelength is just longer).  But I wouldn't obsess too much about stereo subs.  That could be left for a future enhancement.

But getting a consistent bass level (objective 1) would be a huge accomplishment -- so mayble it's a good idea to proceed in phases.  I started with one mono sub before I realized I wanted to see if I could make stereo subs work.

So yes, I'm talking about uniform bass levels -- and I think that's what everyone wants.  I was able to get that with one sub -- but only within a relatively small sweet spot (again, I use nearfield monitoring).  Typical mid-field listeners (which I define to be roughly 8-10 feet away from the speakers) who want a sweet spot that can acommodate more than one person will -- in my opinion -- be hard pressed to accomplish that (a uniform bass response) with just one sub -- particularly in a room of less than 2500 cubic feet.

This is just my opinion, so don't let that stop you from trying!  And you know what?  Uniform bass response, stereo subs, etc., are NOT CRITICAL to getting great enjoyment from great music.  So -- don't sweat the small stuff. Wink  

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #125 - 01/07/12 at 22:55:40

Agreed, Mark and thanks!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #126 - 01/08/12 at 03:29:51

In the Homebrewer hobby, where some of us can get truly fanatical and build/buy full barrel microprocessor-managed, digitally controlled brewing systems, we have an internet acronym: RDWHAHB, which stands for Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew. Sometimes I have to remind myself of the same thing here. I still remember listening to my little transistor radio as a kid, and simply loving the music.

The problem with high-fidelity is that once you start, it is very important to try to keep one's sense of perspective. Having said that, I think what Mark says is right. You can enjoy the music without perfect bass, though I do believe good bass is very important to a well-rounded, accurate, believable system. But taking it in phases is probably a very good suggestion. I would add the further suggestion to try and map a path that facilitates growth or improvement, without the requirement of throwing out or selling stuff. Experimenting with subs and separate amps can get pretty expensive. Given my decision to go with a dual servo sub approach, I now have some extra items I don't need. Funny thing is, the Rhythmik servo approach is where I was first inclined to go, before I got sidetracked and then returned to a variant, still servos but in custom cabinets.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #127 - 01/08/12 at 15:47:12

Home brewing must be exciting ... Though I'm a wine guy myself. I wish good wine could be done at home too.

I also remember as a kid all the pocket, leather-bag small transistor radios we used to cherish.  

You know, that's absolutely right. I plan to give the basic system a chance, while trying to improve on speaker positioning, limited room conditioning and SUB placement.  After that, we'll see. I know once you get used to a sound quality level, you always want to improve on it.  As there are always opportunities (though at diminishing returns for the investment), the curiosity and  ever present aim at the wholy grail of sound is a perennial, addictive temptation.

In the end, what I enjoy most is the music, and this ought to be the objective that hopefully will help me control those urges.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 01/08/12 at 22:06:01

Between Ultra, Torii, and ERR break-in, Bob Z. suggested to me I take my time. He's right. I remember the day "the bottom fell open" on the ERRs. Very rich in the bass. And the Toriis continue to bloom.

Right now, I have very good, solid, articulate bass in the system, but I will eventually get the subs done, and then we shall see what we have next!

P.S. I am also a wine person, but wouldn't dream of trying to make it. Had a brother in law once who did, and he did it about as well as possible, but still..........meh. But it is possible to make superlative beer.

« Last Edit: 01/08/12 at 22:07:57 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 01/08/12 at 22:26:03

Wine gives me a headache. I am a beer person. At DECFEST they serve beers that you have never heard of.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #130 - 01/09/12 at 03:54:34

Don't get me wrong. Although I prefer wine, I can enjoy a well brewed beer too.  The best I've tasted was in Sao Paulo, in a pub that made their own beers.  I spent two years living there, so I developed a taste for this wsell-known special black beer from the house, that I simply loved.  Problem is, I don't find these around anymore.

While working in Cologne, years ago, a german co-worker made me taste several types.  Good beer, although strong and at room temperature.  This way you can really taste the ingredients, but those weren't for my.  Funny!

IP Logged
Hank
Verified Member

Reply #131 - 01/10/12 at 20:43:10

Really sorry to see this gone from the lineup.  I got one about a year ago and set it up on a finished piece of wood like in the documentation.  Great if you don't mind the "science fair" look and no one around to put fingers where they shouldn't. Sounds absolutely wonderful with a pair of Tekton 8" single driver speakers.

I have the CSP-2 or ZenHead for a pre-amp stage, but it sounds best without.

i was thinking getting another one for case mounting...oh, well  :(

Regards,
Hank

Decware SE84DIY amp, TABOO, CSP2, ZenHead, Mini TORII SE-X. SE84CKC SuperZen
Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable.
Bellari Tube Phono Preamp
Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
Tekton 8.1en Speakers
Tekton 4.1 Desktop Speakers
Grado SR60i phones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #132 - 01/10/12 at 20:45:59

I feel your pain Hank!

I do expect that the new replacement with one or two more regulation stages will be an improved one, and likely a sonic wonder. And I bet if you seriously wanted another to match yours that used ones will become available.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #133 - 01/10/12 at 20:48:37

Expect the new replacement by the end of spring, according to Steve.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #134 - 01/23/12 at 01:08:36

Actually, to my pleasant surprise the new amp is happening with some divine luck at a much earlier time than expected.  I'm listening to it now.  I made a post in the SE34I.2 forum.

Here's what shook out...

New integrated sounds better than the old ones do, in part from "lucid mode" being the foundation of it's design.

The price is staying the same and my even be offered with a single pair of inputs for less money still.

That puts it in a similar sonic league with the Mini Torii, but at a lower price making it an easier choice when trying to decide between the two amps.  It works well without a preamp, as it always has.

Steve

« Last Edit: 01/23/12 at 02:55:59 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print