11/26/14 at 10:01:33

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
CD Player Advice (Read 6175 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: CD Player Advice
Reply #15 - 01/25/14 at 14:31:38

Yes, all things mechanical/audio can have problems...I've had a couple CDPs malfunction and I usually just buy a new one rather than have it repaired.  I still have them...I never throw anything away.  I'm a little OCD like that.

I will add a couple caveats to my comments.  First, this model has been discontinued and replaced by the more expensive..."Better"? JOLIDA FUSION DAC & TRANSPORT.  Second,  I read that the transport in it was not going to be manufactured anymore.  So replacement parts and repair may be an issue in the future.

Mine had been recently sent to Jolida for service (I have the receipt) but the seller didn't tell me for what.  Nor did he know the year of original purchase or manufacture. I got the impression he wasn't the original owner although he didn't come out and say so.  Regardless, I plan on buying another.  Mark

« Last Edit: 01/25/14 at 14:32:37 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 02/16/14 at 19:20:49

Mark,
 "The enemy of good is better" Maybe I will have that put on my grave stone. Or maybe I will just stick with, " I told you I was sick".  Either way, good stuff.
 Now, I still have the Cayin, BUT I have been using a 'new' Yamaha SACD player, AND a 'new' Yamaha MX1000 CD bank, at least that's what I call it. It stores all of my Cd's in memory. It sounds ok, but for more serious listening I like the SACD. I have not compared the Cayin to either, but I can readily say that I like the Cayin sound over the Yamaha MX1000. Sometimes you don't have to have a horse race to know who will win.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/29/14 at 19:56:19

Just thought I'd give an update.  I've been using my silver faced Jolida 100 for seven months and recently bought a second one...black faced...on Audiogon.  Both are unmodified except for a pair of 1950's Black Plate Baldwin labeled Raytheon 12AX7's (Not the expensive ones with windmill getters but the ones with halos)...they are a great improvement. This past week I moved the new/used Jolida 100, Taboo MK III and Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones with Silver Widow Balanced cables from Toxic cables to the den where I've been enjoying them immensely. I paid about $507 for the first Jolida CDP and $450 for the second including shipping so it's not a huge risk/investment.  I'm sure there are better players but this one is very musical and simple to use.  For the money, those on a budget or not...should consider picking one up.  Mark.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #18 - 03/29/14 at 20:14:12

Interesting ... I just opened up my second one yesterday to check what kind of tubes were in there. When I bought it (used) the seller told me there were Sylvania tubes in there.

Low and behold, they were Baldwin organ tubes as well. Mine have the green label on them (I heard they can also be yellow).

The manufacturer code on the suggests that they are in fact made by Sylvania.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 03/29/14 at 20:46:17

mark58 wrote on 03/29/14 at 19:56:19:
Just thought I'd give an update.  I've been using my silver faced Jolida 100 for seven months and recently bought a second one...black faced...on Audiogon.  Both are unmodified except for a pair of 1950's Black Plate Baldwin labeled Raytheon 12AX7's (Not the expensive ones with windmill getters but the ones with halos)...they are a great improvement. This past week I moved the new/used Jolida 100, Taboo MK III and Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones with Silver Widow Balanced cables from Toxic cables to the den where I've been enjoying them immensely. I paid about $507 for the first Jolida CDP and $450 for the second including shipping so it's not a huge risk/investment.  I'm sure there are better players but this one is very musical and simple to use.  For the money, those on a budget or not...should consider picking one up.  Mark.

Glad you're happy with it Mark, and it's nice to have TWO. Smiley

I have too many players, and I hope I'm done buying them. DACs. . . that's a different story. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/29/14 at 20:48:40

Baldwin had tubes manufactured by different companies so each color printing was usually a different company.  Green...Sylvania, Yellow...Raytheon.  I think Brown were Japanese tubes. How do your's sound.  The Raytheons are great...I also have a pair in my ZP3.  I've ordered four GE Triple Mica Black Plate 5751's to try in the Jolida 100 and ZP3.  Mark  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Raytheon-Baldwin-12AX7-ECC83-Stereo-Tube-1962-11...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-Baldwin-12ax7-tubes-Matched-pair-same-codes-w-m...

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #21 - 03/29/14 at 21:00:51

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

The CDP sounds remarkably good. Tons of tone... smooth... engaging and musical

My previous Jolida came with the crappy stock Chinese glass. I swapped in a pair of matched JJ 12AX7 and the sound difference was actually stunning. And I'm not even a huge fan of JJ tubes!

I haven't tried 5751 tubes in it yet, but I've read that they are a good choice for this CDP.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 04/01/14 at 01:56:31

The Cayin that I have still has Tele-funkin tubes. I hope that they last forever, as they worked perfectly in this system. I liked the Cayin to begin with, but the tubes are an added bonus.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23 - 05/08/14 at 04:02:14

Well, the Cayin kicked the bucket. Pretty good run for 12 years, and it was used when I bought it. I am seriously gonna buy a Emotiva erc3 tomm.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #24 - 05/08/14 at 22:19:38

Sorry to hear about the demise of your Cayin. But 12 years ... ! That's pretty impressive. Most things today are made to last a year or so, tops (except for Decware, of course).

I wasn't aware Emotiva still made the ERC. What made you decide on that one?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #25 - 05/08/14 at 23:56:20

KB,

Tough to say why I make some decisions. I did read  a few good things about the ERC3. Probably budget has as much to do with it as anything. Maybe a Rega Apollo will pop up that I can afford instead. It sounded most like the Cayin. Funny how some components will give you a warning shot, maybe two, then 'bye bye' for good. I have also heard good things about the 'Ah toeb' player.

IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #26 - 05/09/14 at 00:43:32

Probably a good idea buying a new CDP, with warranty.

I have the feeling a lot of used CDP's on the market are ones that have fired "the warning shot" (ie... skipping or non-reads), and the owners want to unload them.

« Last Edit: 05/09/14 at 00:44:38 by KobeeDog »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #27 - 05/09/14 at 01:02:24

KobeeDog wrote on 05/09/14 at 00:43:32:
Probably a good idea buying a new CDP, with warranty.

I have the feeling a lot of used CDP's on the market are ones that have fired "the warning shot" (ie... skipping or non-reads), and the owners want to unload them.

Well, I actually know a few people who sold theirs recently because they have switched to those silly new-fangled digital files. Smiley

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #28 - 05/09/14 at 01:13:14

There's always that too.

I actually went the other direction... I had a pretty nice PC/DAC setup, but I went back to spinning discs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 05/09/14 at 01:26:31

I just cut out the middle part of that cycle. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print