Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'll show you mine... (Read 5439 times)
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

I'll show you mine...
10/23/11 at 02:29:56

Latest incarnation. One that I will be sticking with for a while I think:

Dynavector DV20XH > Roksan Radius 5/Nima > Consonance PM2 > Audion Silver Night MkII Anniversary w/ Fullmusic 300B/c & Siemens Halske CCa > Decware ERR

Also Consonance 2.2L Linear for CD, and HiFiman 801 for 24bit files.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: I'll show you mine...
Reply #1 - 10/23/11 at 13:19:41

Are you sure that the tubes won't cook the turntable?

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/23/11 at 15:40:00

Fair point. The valves are positioned under the forward edge of the TT shelf, and this room is pretty cool at the best of times. It's true that I designed this arrangement back when I had a solid state amp, but all seems ok so far.

Dynavector DV20XH > Roksan Radius 5/Nima > Consonance PM2 > Audion Silver Night MkII Anniversary w/ Fullmusic 300B/c & Siemens Halske CCa > Decware ERR

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/23/11 at 21:05:43

You could apply some heat reflective material to the underside of that TT mount

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 10/23/11 at 22:51:28

There should be no need for any special treatment. I've used the exact same configuration for at least 5 years, haven't had a problem.
don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/12 at 17:20:01

Breaking news:

I found an SE84ZS on Ebay over here (UK) and couldn't resist finding out how my ERR would sound with an actual Decware driving them.

This means it's now engaged in a direct shootout with my Audion. The loser gets sold.

To be fair to both I'm not even going to give you my first impressions until I've had several good long listens over the next few days. Tense, isn't it?

(footnote: I've just spent ten minutes trying to include a photo with this post, but I keep getting "31 kilobytes and cannot be uploaded" when the jpg in question is 48KB)

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 02/25/12 at 19:52:38

Do tell.  Make sure you have a fresh rectifier tube for the Select and the rest of the tubes for that matter. You don't want any dead "SAG" from the rectifier. I noticed the Audion uses solid state diode rectification.  

Cheers, and let us know.    Stone of Tone

« Last Edit: 02/25/12 at 19:54:43 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 02/25/12 at 22:07:10

Be sure to let us know Nick. I love my ERRs. Best damned speaker I've ever had.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 03/09/12 at 11:46:04

Just a quickie to say that I agree with the previous comment: the ERR are my favourite speakers too. Quite something considering their predecessors in my living room were the extraordinary Hyperion 938.

I also have to report that the amp battles so far have been shaded by the Audion. I'm convinced that there's a lot more to be had from the Decware but the valves that have arrived with it aren't great and will need some rolling before we reach optimum listening pleasure. Plopping one of my Siemens CCa into the input valve position pretty much doubled said pleasure. What combinations of valve to people like in the SE84ZS? And can anyone tell me anything about AEG ECL86 valves? My Ebay seller included a pair, and the internet on this occasion doesn't have too much to say about them.

IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 03/21/12 at 11:49:35

IP Logged
63pontiacgp
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 11/03/12 at 00:02:45

Very nice.

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print