11/25/14 at 00:55:35

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CSP2+ and Grado? (Read 7878 times)
gatornavy
Verified Member

Re: CSP2+ and Grado?
Reply #15 - 10/18/11 at 16:24:45

PM sent. I really like the styling of the carved/molded base that is in so many of the pictures. Is this extra? I didn't see it on the list of options on the ordering page.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/18/11 at 20:28:48

Got your PM. Will respond to that shortly.

The figured base is standard on the amps, and I think is only in black. I opted for a cherry base on all my equipment, except for the ZSTAGE, which is small and only comes in its metal enclosure. I think same is true of ZBOX.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 10/18/11 at 23:06:25

A different colored base is only a rattlecan away!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
gatornavy
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 10/20/11 at 05:39:28

Thanks again! I saw the option for the black figured base. I think of figured as like birdseye or flame maple, so I guess that's why I got confused. And, I wouldn't have thought that sweet looking, fancy base was standard. That's pretty awesome. I can't wait to place my order. I wish the headphone option was standard, and I'm not sure that I like that lucid mode is selected at all times with the headphone option installed as I will use this to drive speakers as well. Oh well, guess you can't have it  all.

Greg: You said you've seen the Taboo drive Grado's, right? Did you listen, and if so, what was your impression? Do you remember what model Grado's they were? Thanks!!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/20/11 at 22:09:07

Lucid Mode is defeatable, even with the headphone option installed.

I didn't listen to the Grados much, mostly because my friend was having too much fun, but also because I am not a big fan of the Grado sound. To each their own!

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 10/20/11 at 22:53:39

I thought lucid was the only headphone mode with this modification whereas it can be switched off at the speaker connection.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/20/11 at 23:46:54

Not sure where that is coming from. Lucid is switchable while listening to cans.

IP Logged
gatornavy
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 10/21/11 at 00:30:04

In the overview for the Taboo it states:

"It features a completely unique thing called "Lucid Mode" that can be switched in and out on the fly when configured for loudspeakers and is permanently engaged when configured for Phones. "

I guess that is why we assumed that if we opted for the headphone option it would be permanently engaged. It's nice to know that's not the case, and eases my mind about purchasing. I cannot wait to order. I've been reading all the articles on the page and am more impressed than ever with Steve and his products.

I don't know how anyone could not like the higher end Grado's, but some Planar Magnetic phones have got me curious. The Grado's are the best I've ever heard... but then I haven't had a chance to check out anything else in the mid to high end range.

« Last Edit: 10/21/11 at 00:39:42 by gatornavy »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/21/11 at 06:43:22

Yeah, I went back and looked and saw that, too, but can assure you that my Taboo switches in and out of LM with ease! I would make sure to clarify that desire when ordering, especially if you plan to use it for both speakers and headphones.

Perhaps Steve can jump in here and clarify. If it is switchable, as is mine, and that is in fact the way it is supposed to be, seems to me the website should be clarified.

As for Grados, meh. I have listened to Grados, originally on the advice of Frank Van Alstyne, priced from $60 to $1100. Never did it for me.  

IP Logged
agustinf
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 10/27/11 at 03:40:44

And in case you'd consider driving back to the CSP2+, I'd say it loves Grados. I've found it goes well with Grado's, Sennheiser, AudioTechnica, Precide, Beyers, AKG, less so with the AT and AKG in my opinion. Always better the higher the Ohm rating of the headphones? not really.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/27/11 at 11:29:36

Grados have a signature sound, which you may or may not like. I liked them for use in an office setting simply because they were more like a speaker next to your ear. If you were being paged, you could hear the intercom with the Grados. Another type of phone with a closed ear might now allow you to hear the ambient sound.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
gatornavy
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 10/27/11 at 13:13:14

I love my Grado's. They aren't the best for listening in my rack at night with 20 other people near by trying to get some sleep, but they are great for their level of detail and response. I am driving them now with the Grado RA-1 (AC version) amp. Sounds great, but I am dying to get into some higher end tube stuff. I just got reminded that Christmas is coming up, so I'll probably have to wait until the tax return comes in now. The wait is killing me.  :)

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

LUCID MODE
Reply #27 - 10/28/11 at 18:05:24

Lucid mode on the Taboo is switchable ON/OFF with loudspeakers.  With headphones, lucid mode must be left ON at all times.  When it is turned off, the headphones will see a ground from only one channel and the imaging will be compromised.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
gatornavy
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 11/17/11 at 11:03:34

Thanks, Steve!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print