Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/21/14 at 06:59:50

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Which amp for Audeze headphones? (Read 4348 times)
Don W

Re: Which amp for Audeze headphones?
Reply #15 - 09/25/11 at 02:42:34

Hi Steve,

Since it is what I have now, what about using the Burson HA-160D Dac/Pre to drive the Taboo. (Solid State. Output impedance is 60 ohms) I understand it wouldn't be ideal, but would the flavor of the Taboo come through if I were to audition one (using Auzeze headphones)?

Thanks, Don.

« Last Edit: 09/25/11 at 02:44:10 by Don W »  

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #16 - 09/05/14 at 11:11:25

hi guys
This question might have been asked and aswered in other threads but couldt find any clear answers. The mini torii (2014 build) should do pretty good with LCD-2s right? of course there might be better option available (thinking new taboo) but even if on my wishlist im not in a postion to buy one at the moment. so i guess I am hoping for more than just good, but im not expecting the combo to be the ultimate
Q: 2  
Should speakers be connected aswell, as in all the time? Asking because i have heard those cans can leak a little sound, and I might want to pick the amp up and go to another room  sometimes, but my speakers isnt exactly just a pick up and move object. will the amp be damaged if not hooked up to a set of speakers?

Q.3; in your experience is a upgraded cable (for the cans) close to necessary? if so, any recommondations?
Have a nice day all of you

IP Logged
Don W

Reply #17 - 09/07/14 at 20:38:22

Hi Jorgen,

The Mini Torii does great with the LCD-2's. The only real difference quality-wise between it and the Taboo is the Taboo has Lucid Mode. And if your source is digital and you use music server software such as JRiver Media Center that supports VST plug-ins, then it is possible to have the cross-feed added in the digital domain. Tone Boosters makes a really good plug-in for just that. Look for their TB_Isone module if you are interested.

It doesn't matter if speakers are connected when listening to headphones. It works just as well either way.

Upgraded cable is not really necessary. But it is nice. I got a q-cable for my LCDs several years ago and still think it is great. Q cables are unlike any other in the way they get out of the way, physically, when in use. Here is a link to the website: http://theaudioguild.com/the-collection/#/q-cables/

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #18 - 09/08/14 at 13:11:53

Hi Dom and thanks a lot for your answers.
Yes I'm using digital source and will check out JRiverJRiver and VST. I'm currently on the lookout for a pair of used LCD2 cans, will get a pair this or the next week. They are pretty expensive  here in Europe so I need to be sure they will be a good fit with the MT
Any alternative to match quality of sound?

IP Logged
Don W

Reply #19 - 09/08/14 at 20:32:01

I've haven't heard any headphones that would be considered to be in the same class as the LCDs. There are some out there, just never heard them so can't compare. Check out Head-Fi.org as resource for everything you ever wanted to know about headphones  :)

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #20 - 09/10/14 at 21:42:13

Hi all
Got me a pair of LCD 2 today and first of all; wow!!!  Not to the cans but to my wife who bought them to me! Then wow again for the sound even just out of the box. Just wow. Then third; the MT with omega speakers  is really good. Even though a totally experience with speakers vs cans, I just know and feel how much I enjoy my music when reproduced with gear like this!

But of a question, and I feel kind of stupid right now.. I thought that when connecting headphones there would not be any sound from the speakers.. so if this is correct, I feel stupid for not knowing this, or if there is something I need to do I feel stupid for not knowing this.... In case speakers and cans works at the same time what can I do, do you guys just disconnect speaker wires if you just want to listen to headphones? Just to be certain, that would be completely safe?

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #21 - 09/11/14 at 09:53:34

Decware tube amps are very tough.

However, for any tube amp, the general rule is that it is preferable to leave your speakers connected all the time.

Otherwise, the output transformers will be unduly stressed out.
On lesser tube amps, the output transformers will be damaged.

IP Logged
Don W

Reply #22 - 09/11/14 at 18:17:24

It is normal for the speakers to play at the same time as the headphones. That is a design feature! Just unhook the speakers. That is what Steve told me to do.

IP Logged
jorgen

Reply #23 - 09/11/14 at 23:01:36

Hey
Actually I called Steve earlier today, and he told me the same, just unhook the speakers, shouldn't be any problem. I just needed to be sure.
So cool of Steve to take the time and be available also for his customers. Thanks to you guys as well for being helpful

Have a nice night and enjoy your Decware

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print