10/22/14 at 10:50:49

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
JJ 6CA7s (Read 18699 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: JJ 6CA7s
Reply #15 - 09/22/11 at 06:10:47

I think you are on it with the Isotek/Esoteric CD as is...better quiet all night than without and probably considerably better than music since it is designed specifically for fast burnin, covering a huge range of sounds and attacks to flex the system. When I come home after several hours of it playing, the sound seems more improved than several hours of music by quite a bit. Subjective I know, but my impression. I just assume that using it (or music) at various volumes would work the tubes and all else differently, and ultimately better with variety of power and push. But you do what you can.

Looks like the tube companies or vendors could come up with a good, efficient  burnin system and charge a premium for ready to go tubes for us freaks with very revealing systems.

Wink

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 09/22/11 at 15:56:21

Gopher wrote:

Quote:
Really glad about the auto-biasing!  

That is so true. It makes tube rolling in Decware equipment even easier.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 09/22/11 at 17:54:35

An excellent point indeed. These are the only tube amps I have had since I was a kid, so I take the ease of rolling for granted. Especially with new tubes or a new piece of gear, I will roll every day at times, and sometimes several times in a day in looking for that just right synergy/signature. So easy!

« Last Edit: 09/22/11 at 17:55:18 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 09/22/11 at 23:01:40

Well, I have about 17 hours of use on these and I like them. Robust and have that classic chunkiness. Glad I ordered them. Sweeter in the treble by a hair than the Winged Cs. I also like them better than the Tungsol reissues.

« Last Edit: 09/22/11 at 23:02:43 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 09/28/11 at 22:58:51

My JJ's just arrived...

I quickly popped them in and I agree that they are very good indeed. Nice and "tubey".

Any consensus on time for break-in? They sound really tight (not open at all) on the top end, but everything else is wonderful.

Mac Mini (Amarra)>DIY (TDA 1541A, Ian FIFO) USB Dac (Tube Output)>Torii III(V-Caps, Attenuator)>Zen Styx>C3-L Monitors/Model H Sub (plate amp)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 09/28/11 at 23:39:11

I'd say 70 or more. I have about 90 to 100 on mine. They're good. Different than the Winged Cs, seem to have less an open midrange, and perhaps a less warm bass. Top end is very nice. I seem to hear a bit less dynamic range.

Definitely great tubes for the price so far, and none of them have "misbehaved."

I assume that these take advantage of the "Hazen Grid Mod."

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 09/28/11 at 23:53:10

Thanks Lon.

Hoping Steve will maybe step in here and answer that one.

My take is that that besides some minor differences in operating parameters, the big difference lies in that there's some beam forming plates that take the place of that 3rd grid on the El-34.

In my (tiny brain's) opinion, the mod should help in close to the same fashion.  

Also

Mac Mini (Amarra)>DIY (TDA 1541A, Ian FIFO) USB Dac (Tube Output)>Torii III(V-Caps, Attenuator)>Zen Styx>C3-L Monitors/Model H Sub (plate amp)
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 09/29/11 at 02:16:22

I have 150 or so on mine and they seem to be becoming pretty clarified with all the little oddities sorted out, with even presentation and articulation across the spectrum. And a fairly impressive dynamic range, so I am guessing yours may not quite be there yet Lon. I sort of lost track on mine at roughly 130, so they were getting pretty even by then, but I think they subtly improving now and guess they will continue for a while. They are big heavy construction.

Also, I can't imagine that Steve would sell the Torii with them if the Hazen Grid Mod was not functional with them.

Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 09/29/11 at 02:32:50

Well, mine seemed to stop changing yesterday after running them about 15 hours a day since they arrived. But hey i'll be happy if they get more dynamic, but I still have my doubts.

I agree, I don't think Steve would send out tubes with this amp that didn't take advantage fo the mod.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 10/04/11 at 17:58:13

Well, these really haven't changed in about five days of use so I'd say they're broken in. I still feel that they're a smidgeon less dynamic, maybe a bit less "fast" than the Winged Cs, but also present just a smidgeon more of of a classic tube sound which I'm taking these days as a plus. Like these tubes, and the price is really right. I've had no problem at all with any one of my quad.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 10/05/11 at 16:20:11

I put the Winged Cs back in for comparison. I think the Winged Cs will stay in for a while. Ironically the Cs make the Torii sound less like a tube amp, but fantastic. The bass is better. The midrange is so open it's as if you can see way deeply into the music, less so with the JJs. And "faster" and a touch more dynamic than the JJs. Both are great choices, and I can see why given that Cs are harder to find these days Steve has gone with the JJs stock.

I'll use these Cs til they're gone and then go back to the JJs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 10/05/11 at 16:31:11

Whoops. One of the Cs just started going bad. The JJs are back in!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/05/11 at 20:32:47

Winged Cs have gone up but here are some.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/
http://thetubestore.com/el341.html

Don't know why the Antique Electronic Supply (tubes and more) link is not associated with the page i got it from with the Winged Cs, but they have it for about 145/quad.

« Last Edit: 10/05/11 at 20:35:08 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 10/05/11 at 20:40:28

Yeah, I know where to find Winged Cs. I just think that it may now be harder for Steve to get them in the volume he needs and or the best price for stock.

I'm watching my pennies through Xmas so I'll order some next year. I miss the sound. The JJs are very cool, just different.

« Last Edit: 10/05/11 at 20:42:11 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 10/08/11 at 16:36:27

After making that comparison I haven't been completely happy with the JJs. Thanks to a sale of power cords to Greg and Greg (thanks guys, cords are packaged and about to go in the mail) I ordered a "burned in for stability" set from Antique Electronic Supply.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print