Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/07/15 at 05:18:09

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
P1324 Assembly & Questions (Read 4696 times)
Verified Member

P1324 Assembly & Questions
09/14/11 at 07:21:26
I just received my very heavy P1324 diffuser and all the parts look great.  I like the way it's "mostly" assembled with the risers and strips set into the channels.   However since there weren't any printed instructions I was somewhat reluctant to just "flip it over" and dump out all the wooden parts onto the floor.

So, I decided to see if I could figure out what the QRD design was "supposed to be" by inspection and using the QRDUDE.EXE V3.0 app to find the P1324 design pattern.

For all of you that are curious, the P1324 appears to be a "Standard N13+0,0" type panel (from bottom of QRDUDE), but with a full width edge at depth 0 (usual is half width).  

To see this design,
select "Number of wells": 13
select "Deepest 1D well in inches": 2.99
set the "Recommended well width": .74
set the phase wheel and offset both to: 0

QRDude Result: Scatter 1049Hz, Diffuse 2098 Hz, HF cutoff 9052 Hz

One thing bothered me though, if you then set "Auto-optimise phase wheel rotation for shallowest 1D panel in advanced mode" in QRDUDE, you actually get a different and perhaps more interesting panel.  It's EXACTLY the same width and depth, but has a lower scatter and diffuse limit.

Advanced N13+4,3 panel:  Shifted down 4 depth units and left 3 well units.

QRDude Result: Scatter 694 Hz, Diffuse 1388 Hz, HF cutoff 9052

Do you find QRDUDE to be useful / reliable?  Is this a possible design improvement?  Or was it evaluated and rejected for some reason?

P.S.> I did eventually find the online instructions at http://www.decware.com/newsite/diffuser%20instructions.pdf
« Last Edit: 09/14/11 at 07:37:01 by Sorbe »  
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: P1324 Assembly & Questions
Reply #1 - 09/14/11 at 15:58:00
I have no experience with the software you've listed, but can tell you the current version was chosen over the alternate (offset) because it's diffusion develops faster - ie., you don't have to be as far away from it.  Typically you have to be many feet away from a diffuser before you measure a diffuse sound field.

WWW   IP Logged
Seasoned Member

Re: P1324 Assembly & Questions
Reply #2 - 12/22/13 at 03:31:15
This just answered a long time question I have had for a long time! Steve, I recommended you mention this in your ad for the your diffusers. Of course had I payed better attention to the forum, I would have found this section years ago!!  Knowing you can be closer to these diffusers vs. others is is grand.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print