12/18/14 at 21:02:46

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NAUGHTY NEWS (Read 3911 times)
Damien
Seasoned Member

Re: NAUGHTY NEWS
Reply #15 - 09/25/11 at 00:49:33

Still waiting on my DFR8's so no experimenting yet for me.

Looks like you did a nice job with the attachment, gonna try those on the FRX's?

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 09/25/11 at 01:17:58

I probably will try them, but I bet that I won't need them. You just got to go through that door sometimes, or you won't know what is on the other side. In my case burnt speakers. Yet, there really has been significant 'adventures' .  BTW this photo doesn't represent what you would normally see. In fact, there is no conscious knowledge of the reflective top coat. Somehow though, there is an appearance of depth after the top coat is applied. I will most likely apply another coat sparingly to even out the reflective properties. It is difficult to see where the paint is being sprayed when it is clear.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #17 - 09/25/11 at 02:07:17

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 09/25/11 at 02:08:02

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/25/11 at 02:31:20

I like the bevels on the front baffle

WWW k919596   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 09/25/11 at 03:20:04

Yah, those were scary to cut. I mean, Ya can't uncut a mistake like that.
 What you can't see except from underneath the speaker are two very long bolts that hold the bottom of the baffles tight to the resonating chamber. They were drilled at an angle from the bottom of the chamber to the back of the baffle. I had to use special lag screws(10" long) and the cut them to the perfect length(or everybody would know the error  Heh heh).  
 I am anxious to see what you come up with since you have waited long enough to get this project playin.

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/25/11 at 11:26:42

The boxes are near done. Cutting the speaker holes, attaching the front baffle and some work on the adjustable baffle are all I have left.  I put them on hold to build a piano you can see here   http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1313972267 but here's a pic of them near done. The last piece of the walnut frame is not yet attached in this pic. The veneer is Birds Eye Maple. As you can see I have a sad lack of photography skill

WWW k919596   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 09/25/11 at 15:07:49

Your a talented guy. The piano idea is just what I like to see. Unconventional and practical. Too much 'ordinary' thinking out there.
 The baffles you made look to be robust, and I think that is key to their performance. Keep me posted on whats next.

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 09/26/11 at 00:29:55

That piano was painted green when I started. I now hate green!

WWW k919596   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #24 - 09/26/11 at 01:25:21

could have been worse....no, no maybe not, I hate green more than you.  
  Will be  drilling holes for the FRX driver soon. I use insert similar to T nuts, but w/o the teeth. They keep the bolts tight that hold the drivers. Also, for the bolts, I will try to find a black pan head allen bolt. Looks are important when they are up front.

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/03/11 at 22:38:02

Hey 4krow, did  you get your FRX's installed? Any report yet?

I just received my DFR8's a few minutes ago, sadly I have to work 12.25 hours tomorrow but will get them installed Wednesday.

I have to work all weekend during Decfest as well. Next Year though...

WWW k919596   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #26 - 10/04/11 at 00:32:12

Naw, the nasty truth is that FRX drivers couldn't be repaired, and I will have to wait for another pair to be made. That will be a LONG time if ever. However, the AN drivers are adequate and getting better as I tweek ahead. The bass is really cool, but the treble can be a bit much. All of that depends on the recordings a s much as anything.  I will probably have Steve send back the dead drivers though and see if I get any new insight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print