Send Topic Print
MUSIC SERVERS (Read 7068 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: MUSIC SERVERS
Reply #75 - 09/12/11 at 18:35:15

Will wrote:
Quote:
Greg, Have you ever listened to your HiRes files at 44.1. Not that you would necessarily want to, but I wonder if they sound better than Redbook since they start with so much more data even if not played at their native res. The PerfectWave might be a great unit to try this....just for fun.

Other than accidentally one time when I was first working with my Audiophileo M-1, no, I haven't listened that way, but I agree that the PW DAC should make this an easy thing to try.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 09/12/11 at 20:34:52

If and when anyone else decides to take the plunge that Lon did with his PerfectWave Combo, or that I did with the PW DAC, make sure you do your research. Most dealers sell these at retail, though occasionally some well-known dealers like Music Direct will feature a combo pricing, or sweeten the price with extreme discounts on really high-end PSA cables (I think Lon can attest to that).

In my case, I found a number of deals in various places, some of which featured full USA warranty, and some that are likely gray market. In any case, the PSA PW DAC/Bridge combo normally retails for $3699-$3799, and I was able to glom on to a really good deal, in which I saved well over a grand. Good deals are out there, and when one factors in upgrade paths, the likelihood of PSA PW upgradeability, and the ability of Decware Zen amps to reveal improvements in your system, I recommend considering the investment.

Cheers!

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #77 - 09/14/11 at 22:39:01

As of yesterday, digital (fiber optic) service was installed all the way to my house. Who knows, but it may be a good diving board into digital servers, streaming, etc. Also, I am not streaming using my wireless router. Instead, I was able to hardwire the ROKU device that I am now using. Of course, I am sure that there are better devices than the Roku, but for now, this seems to be a start.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 09/18/11 at 15:22:00

In case anyone remains interested, there is an excellent deal on the PW Transport on eBay right now, with a starting bid of $1600 and a BIN of $1999. It's new, and black. I chose silver for my DAC/Bridge, so I wouldn't be interested in this one, but it looks like a heckuva deal. You could easily spend more on any one of a number of disc players and get much less. It's here.
Cheers!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #79 - 09/18/11 at 16:28:19

BUT do note that the PW Transport has no built in DAC.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 09/19/11 at 01:25:30

Absolutely, a step into the PW Transport is an implicit commitment to either eventually get a PW DAC , or to already havie a great one.

IP Logged
undertaker
Verified Member

Reply #81 - 09/19/11 at 09:02:52

I alluded to earlier, the Mini apparently inadvertently presented a new range relative to sound quality. The very solid aluminum body, and very simple design with efficient low heat (quiet) parts are aspects of this. I started music with a Macbook Pro since we had one, and when I shifted to a dedicated Mini my sound  got more solid, transparent, and analog. Then when I got to tweaking it, it got notably more musical again.

-----------------------------------------------
ipad 2 accessoryipad2caseipad2 cover

« Last Edit: 09/19/11 at 09:03:12 by undertaker »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 09/19/11 at 14:38:20

Undertaker, what are you using to:
(1) what format are your files in;
(2) what do you use to play the music (iTunes or Amarra or Fieelia or Audirvana, etc.);
(3) how are you getting your music out of your machine, e.g., USB, Toslink, etc.;
(4) what DAC are you using;
(5) did you run your MacBook Pro on battery, and did you also tweak the system to strip it down to as basic of an audio player as possible; and
(6) which MBP, and what processor was in the MBP versus which mini and which processor?

All those factors are more likely to make a difference than simply switching between the MBP and the mini. The current MBP actually is a more solid piece of aluminum and is certainly built with low-heat, low-power components. I have owned each generation of both for the last few years, and it would be necessary to equalize them before concluding tha one is better than the other. BTW, I prefer the mini, too, but largely because in my office rig, I like to use a separate screen. Conversely, I am aware my use of BT keyboard and trackpad introduce some possible issues, bu I am unwilling to sacrifice their convenience. At home' I have now dispensed with the Mac altogether, except as an iTunes management device for the home library.

Cheers!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 09/19/11 at 18:43:01

Pale Rider, From Undertaker, that is quote from my post #27 in this thread. Don't know where Undertaker was going, but hopefully we will hear back.

For me, there was an improvement going from our Macbook Pro on battery to the 2009 Mini plugged in. Both were running from internal drives, and without tweaks at first, but without anything else on....no net, no time machine, no bluetooth, and therefore less background processes, but the mini did have the USB keyboard and mouse. I can't recall the processors for sure, but there was enough for only playing iTunes and they were similar...both 2 core duo and in the low 2 Ghz.

Then there was a bigger difference between the 2009 and the 2010 Mini, but at this point all was tweaked out on both computers, they had good sounding feet, and I was using Pure and Fidelia.

Files were all uncompressed and error corrected 16/44.1K, first WAV and later AIFF.

Same ZDAC throughout transitions.

Cable was USB Starlight throughout.

Each stage of the progression brought with it more body, more liquidity, less glare, more inner detail....a more analog sound.

I have not compared the new MacBook Pros, but our 2007 (all aluminum, but I would not say as solid as the 2010 Mini) taught me I wanted to switch over to error corrected files from my Rega Apollo, and the Minis each made that a better decision, the 2010 being quite a little sever.

Why the MBP did not sound as good, I can't say....there is more going on in it with directly connected keyboard, monitor and fans.

« Last Edit: 09/19/11 at 23:15:03 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #84 - 09/19/11 at 22:58:27

Pale, Will,
I'm pretty sure that Undertaker is just a spammer trying to get us to hit his link. Bastards, I say we hunt him down and shoot him. But that may be a little harsh.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 09/19/11 at 23:13:14

Donnie,

Good point! We'll see if Undertaker shows up again, and if not a spammer, it might be interesting to get comments!

« Last Edit: 09/19/11 at 23:18:43 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 09/20/11 at 04:07:20

Thanks for the clarification Will. My apologies for my confusion.

I agree the 2010 mini is a very nice server, probably better than a 2007 MBP.

Greg

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 09/20/11 at 19:23:32

My PW DAC did in fact arrive yesterday, pristine in its top-notch packaging, white gloves and all. Setup took about 2 minutes from unpacking to playing first track on the network, using their iPhone app. It just works. Zero configuration issues. Haven't had a chance to crank the system, but it works and sounds great at low levels. In retrospect, I would probably have preferred the finish in black, but the silver is quite tasteful, and the top is itself in the same piano gloss black finish as the black one. So, it makes a nice unit to have at the top of an equipment rack. Build quality seems very solid. [Taking this unit in silver was a significant $ savings.]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #88 - 09/20/11 at 19:52:59

Glad it's there, set up and works. Give it about three weeks or more and it will really sound fantastic.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 09/21/11 at 06:27:59

Thanks Lon. Looking forward to it. FWIW, there is another very good deal on a black one here. Apparently plenty to go around. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print