Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/14 at 09:11:16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ordered my Zen Torii MK III (Read 8810 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Ordered my Zen Torii MK III
Reply #30 - 01/20/12 at 01:24:30

Glad you're happy and digging it Stone! I'm that happy with my ERRs and my HR-1s driven by the Mk III (I'm just addicted to the Radial sound, will accept no substitute these days!) . . . The Torii is just a magnificent amp, it can drive so many excellent speakers. Definitely versatile!

« Last Edit: 01/20/12 at 01:27:42 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #31 - 01/20/12 at 17:32:22

You are so right Lon, the Torii can drive so many speakers to near perfection. I am glad I got over my momentary lapse of reason to sell it. I know now I would have regretted it. I am going to hold off on tube rolling while the Torii burns in further and I know the Amp well. The ERR's and Steve's new DNA Horn are still in my sights for this fall. I hope to go to DecFest or road trip this late summer to hear them (7.5 hour drive, St. Paul to Peoria/no biggy). I went to the Fest in 2005 and 2008 and enjoyed it very much. DeVon, Steve and Ziggy - good people.

For the next 7 to 8 months though...I am enjoyng my SE84CS, Torii 3 and SeriusXM/Dish Network. When I can't be in front of the Select or Torii, I have SeriusXM, with Real Jazz ch.6067, Contemporary Jazz ch.6066 or Classic Rock on ch.6025 & 6026 and other smatterings of stations/Blues too playing. I get new music idea's from Real Jazz 6067. I always have it scrolling/playing thru my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's. I use a .5 meter Kimber KCAG out of my DVR...nice for the 1.2's.

I'm listening to Hank Mobley right now, Bouncing with Bud. SeriusXM is always keen to recognize that while I am listening to Real Jazz right now I probably love other genre's too? They just promoed, BBC from the Vault tonight.....Led Zeppelin at 5pm central. So, lets just say I am in the sweet spot in front of SDA 1.2's at 5pm sharp and they will be utilized in all their glory! I will record it too/hang on to it for a while..... .

Anyway, cheers to you my friend. I do/have appreciated you're insight on the Torii 3 and tube rolling advice. Enjoy the weekend with great tunes!    

-Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 01/20/12 at 18:34:51

Definitely happy you kept the amp and gave it a good shot! It will keep sounding better as time goes by. I was bowled over AGAIN by my amp a year ago. . . and it sounds even better now.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #33 - 01/20/12 at 22:01:41

I believe you.....it will sound even better in time. I have made my mind up to visit Decware and bring my Front End,  speaker cables and listen to the ERR's and the DNA Horn come September or October.

I was looking at what UpScale Audio has left of the Cary SLI 80 Signature ($4300.00). I lose no sleep owning the Torii 3 which I believe is a better topology, yielding better sound qualities. I purchased my Torii 3, Vintage Polk SDA 1, Vintage Polk SDA SRS 1.2's.....with 85 bucks to spare under $4300. I am not saying the Cary is not good. Someone on the Forum owns one and now has the Torii 3. He prefers the Torii 3. I should find/quote.

Cheers, Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 01/20/12 at 22:09:36

Yeah, Cary's are nice; a friend of my Dad's had one when I was first interested in SET sound and his machine made me a believer. I bought my first Zen amp (#27, later turned into a Rev. A version) and thought it sounded a bit better, but there were 1500 miles between the two amps so I never directly compared them. About seven years ago I loaned #27 to a friend who also has a Cary 300B integrated amp. He still has the Cary, but I've never gotten #27 back yet. Smiley Maybe one day soon, he finally got off the bus and ordered a Taboo and the portable headphone amp.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #35 - 01/23/12 at 23:09:31

Lon, you need to get your #27 back now that he has a Taboo in the works! That is right.....you have been with Decware products since 97 or 98. Way cool.

Well, the light bulb went off today....and I said to myself, the Torii should not be hooked up to a restricted low frequency (bookshelf) speaker. The Torii needs to BREATH. I have my SE84CS properly set up and my SDA 1.2's as well (far as solid state goes). So, I moved my LS-90's eight feet over in front of the 1.2's and just out to the left and right of the 1.2's as not to block them when in use. This opened up space to rear.........and with the bass management pots!......I have the Torii dialed in with tuneful bass and great tonal balance. I finally have heard what the 3 is capable of.  It is a SET on the TOP frequencies with BASS/tuneful and articulate. Very pleased. Other than enjoying all three systems.......and some tube rectifier + preamp tube rolling in a few months. I am done for now!  

Cheers, Stone of Tone

« Last Edit: 01/23/12 at 23:13:36 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #36 - 01/25/12 at 08:31:12

Excellent description Stone.   I am comparing the Decware to what some consider to be the best SET, the Coincident Frankenstein mkii and I am selling the Frankenstein.   The bass control on the Torii is amazing, while the intimacy and the 3D Soundstage is 99% as good with the Torii and the Torii is a little less bright, more dynamic,and just more musical on everything from jazz to rock to electronica to vocalists.   And the bass and treble knobs and endless tube rolling makes it so easy to customize it to my speakers and room.  And the combination with my Tekton Pendragons and Dodd Battery Pre-amp mkii is simply stunning.    :P

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #37 - 01/30/12 at 05:07:10

Very sweet set up Morganc and the Torii edging by the Frankenstein says a lot. I just moved the Torii back in to my main Rig after another 80 hours on it with secondary Rig. It needs to stay with my Select Cables and my AA front end with SDA 1's main Rig. I am very pleased. You do not want to turn this Amp down!
My system is configured on the floor.....so the swap out with my SE84CS takes all of 10 minutes. I feel I have two of the best Amps on the planet.   -Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #38 - 02/05/12 at 18:33:45

I think the Caps are finally burned in..... . Steve's choice in Caps are just fine with me. The Aural Matrix of this Amp is blowing my mind right now! NO, I have not been drinking. I do not pop the first bottle cap on my Summit Extra Pale Ale(s) until 5pm CST prior to the Super Bowl.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #39 - 02/05/12 at 18:53:16

I agree, Steve's choice of caps are awesome. I wonder sometimes what they would sound like with the V-Caps but I soon forget just sinking into the wonderful sound of the stock Torii.

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #40 - 02/06/12 at 05:59:23

What are the stock caps btw?   I'm sure loving mine too!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/06/12 at 06:27:52

Morgan, This is from the Torii page near bottom of Steve's explanation. I think MkIIs may have used a GE cap.

"Decware has it's own time coherent polyurethane film & foil coupling caps made to the FKP-1 specification by WIMA in Germany.  These are standard in all Zen TORII's.  Since many audiophiles are unfamiliar with our caps (we don't sell or advertise them) they ask about "possible upgrades" for these caps and list of a whole host of boutique audiophile caps they think may sound better.  Virtually all of them have been tried in house, and most are at best a sideways move, many sound worse.  The ONLY cap we have found that we feel is justifiably better than our stock offering is the Teflon Tinfoil VCAP's."

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/06/12 at 22:11:01

I am actually thinking of getting a third Torii, because I am becoming convinced that the SE84ZS just doesn't have the same "authority" on the center channel ERRs as the front and rear pairs get from the two Toriis. I have some listening swapping to do, but that seems to be where I am headed. And while I would be tempted to try the Torii without the VCAPS, just to hear the differences, I have been very happy with mine so far, and would be inclined to keep them all the same.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #43 - 02/06/12 at 22:24:45

Interesting. I can see your reasoning indeed, and it doesn't surprise me that the Zen amp may be running out of steam.

Have you tried just four ERRs and two Toriis, is there a way the center channel could be blended into the left and right front?  I don't know enough about surround technology, but my two ERRs in two channel setup, firing away from the TV, give incredible sound, deep and holographic and the dialog is clear and very audible. . . .

« Last Edit: 02/06/12 at 23:19:50 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 02/07/12 at 03:11:52

Lon, one Torii and two ERRs make an incredible soundstage. And I suspect that a 4/2 arrangement would be very nice as well. In fact, I am using that arrangement for the most part on many Quad 4.0 recordings.

But if I want that center channel to really sing, remember that the tweeters are firing at the screen away from the listener, and so are reflected off it, I think I need a bit more oomph. On some of my 5.1 recordings, especially for example the AIX recordings, the sense of heft is missing a bit from the center. I am not complaining, just speculating.

In fact, once the subs are done, the next step will likely be a choice between Torrii and DBQX.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print