Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/01/14 at 09:17:07

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Ordered my Zen Torii MK III (Read 9855 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Ordered my Zen Torii MK III
08/16/11 at 19:36:23

I am pleased to have finally been able to order this Amplifier. I have enjoyed my Zen Select for over a decade (mid May 2001 received).

The CCE mod, no negative feedback with pentodes and everything else that comes with this Amp.....I look forward to enjoying. What is the current lead time?

Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Ordered my Zen Torii MK III
Reply #1 - 08/16/11 at 20:03:47

Stone, I look forward to your impressions after so many years of the select! I would call Sarah for a projected date.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 08/17/11 at 01:22:57

Hi Will, I will call Sarah and get the skinny.

I have heard the II a couple of times at ZenFest 2005 and 2008 I attended and liked it then. Now with the Hazen Grid mod and further tube regulation, it should be a lot of fun.

I currently live in a brick sh_t house apartment/meaing I can play my music pretty loud if I prefer. However, I prefer 76db SPL on average with peaks of 82 db SPL. Most audiophiles listen to thier music to loud IMHO.

I have a good front end I have owned for 16.5 years and my cables owned for 11 years. I do look forward to comparing the III to the mighty slayer Select and posting some impressions. Both will remain in the stable of my system until I cack.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/17/11 at 04:27:11

Congrats Stone! Let us know what you find out and what options, if any, you choose.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/17/11 at 05:30:27

Stone,

I look forward to your perceptions. As you have heard, though the Torii is very SE like, it is also a little different with its particular weight, speed, definition and bass presentation. And with its adjustability and outrageous tube rolling possibilities, it is an amazing amp.

Though I have no meter, I guess I am among those who listen a little loud finding that place where everything comes out with distinction, but my setup is very good quieter as well and I think you will appreciate the feel of it.

And I totally agree with PR, please keep us apprised of anything you come up with that makes it all just right!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 08/17/11 at 18:38:12

Thanks PR! I went with the Stnd. options and the walnut base. Now I have the wait  :'(, which is understandable of course, for this fine hand built MUSIC making machine. So PR and Will, I will chime back in after receiving and some burn in down the road.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 08/18/11 at 19:07:54

Stone! So happy you are getting a Torii! I GUARANTEE you you will be boogying mightily with a heavy grin when it arrives!

What will says is true about the SET and Torii comparisons. I recently put in (and kept in for now) my SE34.2 (non CC mod) Integrated in the place of my Torii Mk II in the bedroom system, and the differences were intriguing. (And I confess I missed the full-blown SET sound a bit). No matter which way you lean in Decware amp land, you're on solid ground!

Lon (from my Dad's laptop in Bay Village, OH)

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 08/19/11 at 11:39:45

Thanks Lon! I look forward to those differences in Amps with that common thread of transparency and the continued beauty of no grain. I have enjoyed your reviews of it and now I am counting the days like a kid waiting for Christmas and the CCE mod.......ha.    

Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 10/11/11 at 05:08:33

Okay, I'm watching and listening to the recorded DecFest and realized today marks the 8th week since I ordered my Torii and I am getting excited. I always love having something to look forward too and realize it could be another two to three weeks before I receive it..........which is fine. Your early Christmas present is coming Larry, so just exercise patience.

Stone of Tone

« Last Edit: 10/11/11 at 05:09:36 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 10/11/11 at 14:56:02

Hope it comes soon Larry. That anticipation is fun for a while. . .but after four or five weeks I WANT IT BADLY!

You're going to love that amp.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/11/11 at 18:30:06

Lon opined:
Quote:
You're going to love that amp.

Indeed.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 11/02/11 at 07:52:43

Got the word today, the Transformers are being wound!

Man, I hate solid state! I switched my Zen Select out today to throw a little more juice at my Vintage Polk SDA 1's (1984/85) with my Rotel Integrated RA-1062.

I use the SDA's in straight 2 channel stereo, but also plug in the Stereo Dimensional Array occasionally. On some recordings it is quite the illusion. (However, in straight 2 channel stereo these speakers are wonderful and the Zen Select can drive them in all its glory at 76 to 82 db SPL without clipping).

It was not long though, and I put the Select right back in............and the music returned.

Bring on my Torii MK III!

Stone of Tone

« Last Edit: 11/02/11 at 07:55:25 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 11/02/11 at 15:48:20

Hopefully it won't be too much longer now!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 11/14/11 at 17:56:11

Okay, I should just shut up and wait until I receive it and break it in for 3 + months then comment?! But, I am so excited! My III has passed QC and is being packed!

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but do the Tubes come in a separate package? I do believe I read that.......... .

If I receive it by the 23rd......I might catch a cold  ::), and have to stay home the four long days with my new Torii III. Oh well............  ::). I can visit my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas  ;D.

Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 11/14/11 at 18:41:21

Awesome! Won't be long now!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print