Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/24/14 at 20:26:43

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ordered my Zen Torii MK III (Read 10747 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Ordered my Zen Torii MK III
Reply #15 - 11/15/11 at 03:10:33

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but do the Tubes come in a separate package? I do believe I read that.......... .

With mine the tubes did come in a separate box, but luckily, they did arrive at the same time as the amp. I seem to recall some poor guy on the forum getting tubes later....UPS seems slacker all the time.....Hope this does not happen with yours. That would hurt! Have fun!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 11/17/11 at 07:21:41

Thanks will.....yea I hope it is not a split on the shipment from good ole' UPS. I have not purchased any other tubes yet for it either? Anyway, it is scheduled for arrival on Friday!  Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 11/18/11 at 23:31:44

Got her and she is gorgeous. Loving the direction it is headed in with the waxing and waning. She was packed excellent and the fit and finish is sweet.

I called Steve a couple of times.....and for him to say thanks to DeVon, Sarah and the Decware crew.

Have a great weekend all.

Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 11/19/11 at 05:12:04

Fantastic Stone! I'm so happy it's in your home at last! Tell us about it when you can tear yourself away.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 11/19/11 at 22:47:25

Had it in my main seasoned rig. This morning I moved it to SeriusXm/DishNetwork and my DAC Magic driving the Iron of this Amp hard thru my Rotel as a pre........the break in blues with some Live Fogerty right now........fun. The guitar AMP from Woodstock for John.......... .  Retubed a few times I am sure Smiley.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 11/19/11 at 23:17:06

I can tell you're having fun!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 11/23/11 at 18:26:54

Ahhhh! Just past 50 hours on her and driving her direct (got the bloody Rotel out the chain as a pre).....not even using my best front end and she is blooming and has Larry Carlton, Chris Potter on Sax and Ricky Peterson (from Minneapolis/Bloomington) on the Organ......in the room with the extended version of; "Put it where You Want iT". Chris is great doing straight ahead or pop/contemporary jazz...... .

Cheers, Happy Thanksgiving......Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 12/03/11 at 19:46:00

Aahhh, the Majesty of the power with just about all the attributes of the SE84CS. I now have over 120 hours on my T3 and I am very pleased.

As tonepub stated in his review; ".....the Torii strikes a perfect balance of rendering additional tonal richness without
altering the music’s fundamental character.
Via the Torii, Moraine’s “Uncle Tang’s Cabinet of
Dr. Caligari” from Metamorphic Rock is an absolute
prog freak-out, with layer upon layer of maniacal
synthesizers and overdubbed guitars all kept in order
with larger-than-life drums. Whatever your taste
in complex tunes—be it prog, metal, or full-scale
orchestral music—you will find intoxicating the
Torii’s ability to maintain musical pace".

For me, Solid State with its grain, etch and haze need not apply in any price range.

So I can do comparisons with my SE84CS, I have it with the following, even though this system is different, I am enjoying the synergy here, as I do with my Signature ref system synergy (listed below) with my SE84CS. Though, I now use a pair of Polk SDA 1's without the SDA function.....the SE84CS drives them with aplumb within reason. This within reason can get quite loud too before compression or clipping and maintains all the nuance, tonal character, timbre and transparency that the SE84CS delivers like magic.

System is: Sony DVP-NS57P as transport > Stereovox XV2 digital cable > Dac Magic (soon to receive new power supply designed by Peter Madnick) > Kimber Silver Streak Interconnect > Torii MK3 > Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable > LS90 with Kimber 3033 Low Pass jumpers.....after market XLO Pro Power Cord to MK3.

In comparison, the SE84CS has the extra special Lit from Within and Transparency to die for..... . However, the MK3 is so close and so beats solid state with its realism, organic and yet powerful presentation (and I have heard some upper price solid state through the Audio Society of Minnesota at the Pavek Museum in St. Louis Park) that I look forward to enjoying both for many years to come. All I need to do is swing my Listening Chair to the System of choice for a particular disc and just enjoy.

Please stop in and play our original 1929 RCA Theremin, listen to our Western Electric theater speakers, or perform live radio shows in our 1960s era studio.

http://pavekmuseum.org/

Cheers, Happy Holidays.......Stone of Tone

« Last Edit: 12/03/11 at 23:31:20 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 12/03/11 at 19:58:00

Awesome Stone! Indeed, with your two amps you have so much! Enjoy the music deeply!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 12/03/11 at 23:53:07

Yes Lon indeed! I wish I had your new front end though (I'm jealous).

Well, since it is snowing to beat the Band on this fine Saturday evening.......instead of going out and chasing my other passion....(I've been divorced for awhile now and going lady chase crazy)  :-).......I am going to try a pair of NOS 6922's (actual Sovtek's from the 80's if that can be actually considered NOS now).....in place of the 6N1P-EV's that came with.

Cheers, Stone

« Last Edit: 12/04/11 at 00:07:05 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 12/04/11 at 00:08:35

Let us know what you think of the 6922s. I've always preferred the 6N1Ps, but each room and amp and taste is different.

I found a cryo'd 6N1P from cryoset.com that though taking criminally long to burn in really sounds great now. I've not been rolling tubes for a month or so, which is not usual. Wink

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 12/04/11 at 02:04:04

Thanks Lon for the site. If you have not been rolling in awhile.....these Cryo 6N1P's are now on the Christmas List. Hint: Julia & Brie my daughters!   Stone

Lon, which ones do you have or prefer?

Granted, I realize, the whole gamut of the other tubes can influence. However, I figured I would start with this........ the input tube variable.

« Last Edit: 12/04/11 at 02:12:26 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #27 - 12/04/11 at 02:45:17

I bought a pair that was very similar to these they are now offering. . . I think this is the same tube, but they had different text about it when i ordered it. It's the Super Cryo tube they offer.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=263&osCs...

I must add this caveat: the pair I received took a month to really open up and deepen. There was very little bass for alarmingly long. Once it got there, it's been a great tube, with a sweeter treble than some other versions.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #28 - 01/10/12 at 00:25:52

Thanks for this site Lon. I have it book marked. No Tube rolling as of yet. I need to know the Torii longer then I will start....... .

Anyway, I broke out my Mirage OMNI 150's (Omnipolar 2-way Speakers). I am glad I am to stubborn to sell anything and I might need it? Well, I needed these and glad I kept them! Great soundstage with IMAGES with image!  Great tone and timbre too with the Torii. For a diminutive inexpensive speaker it is over-achieving as I type. It took the Torii to tame its brightish tweeter and still maintain its treble extension.

Cheers, Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #29 - 01/20/12 at 00:08:55

Okay, it took me two months to find the right combination of Interconnect, Speaker Cables, Digital Cable and which DAC with the right Speakers........but I have some damn good ORGANIC'S going on now with the Torii 3 (plus its break in). Dynamic and detailed to say the least with my overachiever RTiA1's....and did I mention Organic?! Mirage's, out/gone (an experiment).

Cheers, Stone......time for a Summit EPA and some more tunes w/Torii!

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/908polk/

YES, take reviews with a grain of salt. The only reason I post this review is to give the Speaker a point of reference. I aspire to better by the Torii, however, these Speaks' truly are overachievers. Now, the reviewer (Reina) raving about them with Creek Solid State which I have heard is okay?  But, for the price of that Creek Amp ($2395 then/more now).........you can get the Torii 3....which destroy's the Creek period. You have not heard the extended Treble and detail, besides the impeccable midrange......until the Torii drives them.  

« Last Edit: 01/20/12 at 00:52:17 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats