Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/17/14 at 06:37:07

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
DECWARE ZEN FEST 2011 (Read 15104 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DECWARE ZEN FEST 2011
08/12/11 at 06:31:45

« Last Edit: 08/28/11 at 15:57:09 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

What Are Details on 2011 DECFEST?
Reply #1 - 08/11/11 at 23:28:12

Just wondering what the dates are, etc., and what to expect from this year's meet.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Re: What Are Details on 2011 DECFEST?
Reply #2 - 08/12/11 at 03:24:26

"Oct 7 ~ 9"
"Decfest is always the first weekend of October, Fri, Sat, Sun."

Found in this thread page 2:
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1306324417/15

Lin

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 08/12/11 at 03:24:37

RR,

In Steve's last post  Oct 7-9  I guess the biggest things will be the FRX driver and the new DNA horn and a lot of fun to be had by all.

It would be great if you could make it.....If you fly into Peoria I'll make sure you get a ride to the fest.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 08/12/11 at 03:26:04

Lin,

Looks like you beat me to it. Are you going to be there again this year?

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/12/11 at 03:38:01

Hi ZYGI,

Yes sir!
I don't get too many opportunities to hang out, talk and listen to music with a bunch of audio geeks. Cool

Lin Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DECWARE ZEN FEST 2011
Reply #6 - 08/12/11 at 17:08:16

Hi everyone!

As you can see, I've spliced two threads together here and we'll make this the official Decware Zen Fest thread.   AKA ZenFest, DecFest.

Last year we had about 75 people attend and all three days went smooth as glass and the sound was also great the whole time.  (Father Murphy must have had another event to attend)

This year should also be pretty cool!  Our staff has grown and we're adding more space to our building so we can build more amplifiers.

It won't be done, but we've gotten a good start on it.

As far as what to expect this year - really great sound!  

New stuff that will be here this year include both speakers and electronics.   For speakers we have Bob's new desktop speakers, called the Trapeziums (traps for short), and the new DNA Horn.  If anyone has similar small horn speakers they would like to bring for comparison, I highly encourage it!   Also in the category of speakers, we will be demoing the new FRX drivers in the Zen Open Baffles.

Electronics will be the new Zen ULTRA 6 channel tube preamp.  One of things I will be doing possibly all three evenings as soon as it gets dark, is demoing the ULTRA in it's full glory on some short movie clips and music videos in a 100% tube 5.1 channel system with HD projector.  This will be a great break after a day of swapping gear around, and set the stage for another evening of serious listening afterwards.  

I'll probably also set up my vinyl rig this year and we can all get in the groove!

Also, a surprise (there always is one) is that I've spent all year developing a TUBE SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER of which there is a desperate need for.  This will be here in it's pre-production prototype form sounding rather amazing too.

Also this year, we have a Karma catalyst named Nee'ko - a Zen Cat, who we've added to the family!
He is a Bengal breed which is a domesticated Asian Leopard.  With the personality of a Dog, fascination with water, and a love for people, he is sure to be almost as interesting as the audio gear.  With a pelt rather than fir, people with allergies to cats (like me) have nothing to fear.

http://youtu.be/-nYYTlNh10M  Youtube video of the cat!

I'm toying around with a few more possible things that if I can pull off, I'll report here.

-Steve

« Last Edit: 08/12/11 at 18:22:20 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 08/13/11 at 03:14:52

Seeing that the Zen fest was on my birthday weekend, I told my wife that I either wanted a Omega Speedmaster watch or to be able to go to the fest. She told me to have a good time at the fest. So if you see a red Jeep, don't shoot.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 08/13/11 at 05:06:59

Cool, and happy birthday!  I'll make sure you don't regret it!

Also, for those who have never been here, I added a new post here with a bunch of pics of our most recent listening room...

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1313205191/0#3

-Steve

« Last Edit: 08/28/11 at 16:01:43 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 08/14/11 at 02:08:58

GREAT NEWS

Looks like I will be able to broadcast this years fest LIVE in 1080p High Definition Audio and Video!

http://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfest2011.html

I'll be running a test feed on and off between now and then...  got the video set up and working, so now it's on to setting up the hi-def recording process for the audio feed.

Steve

« Last Edit: 08/28/11 at 16:00:41 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 08/14/11 at 02:55:34

I guess I will have to lose some weight so I will look good to everyone that will be watching the video feed. "Is it time for my closeup, Mr. Deckert?"

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Rollin
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 08/14/11 at 03:09:34

WARNING: Thread Highjack Wink

Very cool cat. Your play area inspired my wife to build one downstairs.

Our Talie doing some serious listening today:

« Last Edit: 08/14/11 at 03:24:08 by Rollin »  

-- Decware Torii #14 --
Speakers:Turning Point Audio HR-ONE's in Red
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 08/14/11 at 03:37:00

Cute! I miss my cats! (They've passed on).

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 08/15/11 at 05:16:14

http://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfest2011.html

OK,  I'll record in 1080p, but I just figured out how much bandwidth that is with 100 people watching and the cost....   whew.   Adjusting down to 720p for the video... saw no change on the display.

Tonight I'm testing the initial audio feed setup.   Damn firewire cables... let's see... how many different firewire cables are there now???  Too damn many, of course I have to order the right one so we're using the IMAC sound card for now.   I've got the audio set for 320kps AAC similar to itunes, and I have to say there's some really good things happening with the sound feed.  By the time the fest happens it will be worth recording.

Based on my first experience a couple years ago with the live broadcast, I found that recording the room vs the speakers was surprisingly the secret.   Hanging the microphones 9 feet off the floor in a stereo pair at a 50 degree spread just above the typical speaker location on one end of the room allows you to clearly hear everything including people talking anywhere in the room.  The microphones are gained up as high as they will go, perhaps 4 times hotter than you could do on stage.  It truly is a recording of the room and everything in it.

The highs are rather incredible as is the entire frequency balance.   I wonder if it would sound this good in the listening chair if I hung the chair 9 feet off the floor from a 17 foot cathedral ceiling?

I'm listening to the live broadcast as I write this post and interestingly.... the difference in recording quality (and venue) from one song to another is amplified.  Or perhaps "simplified" is a better term for it.  It's incredibly easy to hear the difference in recording quality compared to in the sweet spot down in the room... not that it isn't easy there too, just exaggerated on the broadcast.  Ideal.

Gotta admit... I'm really enjoying this... and on a mac sound card no less.  I'm going to be using a firewire mixing console set up at 32 bit 192khz and then we'll down-sample it to 48khz for the broadcast.  The broadcast I'm listening to now is averaging 342 kps, and it will likely end up being higher.   I'll evaluate several bit rates before the fest and see where the point of diminishing returns is.

I'll be using closed back headphones for the mixing... that means I will be adjusting the mix for this type of phone.  Open back phones will sound slightly leaner that it actually was.

Ahh, the real test... classical - nice.  Yes, this is going to work very well. Tonight I have the Zen TORII playing on the DNA horns...   I'll be testing different speakers - all of them on this configuration to be sure there are no problems with mix.

I'm listening to my itunes library in random play - and String Cheese just came on - a live recording...  and I just realized it's hard to believe the sound I'm hearing in these headphones is all coming from a pair of 5 inch full-range crossover-less drivers... in the DNA horns.  I just doesn't sound like anything is missing.  I sounds like I'm listening to the live concert... the bass is frikin perfect...  amazing!    This is going to be fun...  

=Steve

« Last Edit: 08/28/11 at 16:00:11 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 08/15/11 at 06:03:03

The play area... for the cat (see youtube video) !   Wow, it inspired your wife to do one downstairs!  That's cool.   I started looking at cat trees on the internet after seeing a selection a over priced crap at the pet smart.   I mean give me a break - several hundred dollars for a 6 foot cat tree made from cardboard with rope glued to it?

I had a branch growing from the tree in front of the shop that was starting to scratch the roof, so I cut it off the tree and size it to fit between the floor and the ceiling, then wedged it in there.  

Regrettably now when I take the Bengal cat out for walks by trees it climbs them like a squirrel.  This can be a real problem with a leash on.  The other day he did that and was 25 feet (the length of the leash) up in the tree and getting ready to hang himself on a branch by going on the wrong side...  I was actually able to talk him down - this would never happen with a regular domestic cat... trust me I've had regular cats my whole adult life...  Bengals are too cool to believe!  This cat has already added several years to my life.

Here he is at 6 months sitting on my lap, crammed between by belly and my desk.  He follows me everywhere I go.  He starts his day by jumping in the shower and watching the water.  I make sure he gets wet, and he actually likes it!  What a trip.

Steve

« Last Edit: 08/15/11 at 06:12:47 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print