06/18/19 at 10:16:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Input Tube Question (Read 4898 times)
krell
Verified Member

Input Tube Question
08/07/11 at 14:39:59

Can a E188CC (7308) be substituted for the 6N1P or 6922 on a Zen Torii with no ill effects?
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Input Tube Question
Reply #1 - 08/07/11 at 16:30:36

I believe the 7308 is basically a very high quality member of 6DJ8/6922 family. Same 6.3v heater voltage, and similar current specs. Here is a writeup on the family.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

I have never used one in the Torii myself though, so can't say for sure.

Power-PSA P5/Brickwall/Shunyata Defender+>RevolutionMacMini/Audirvana>Kitsune Singxer>modified Gustard x20pro DAC; Cables: DIY + Pi Audio PCs, DIY: ICs, USB, Speaker; Decware- CSP3, Torii MKIV, HR1-all modified; DIY ZBIT; feet- Madscientist, Archie's, isocups, DIY
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/07/11 at 18:52:44

Haven't used one either, but looks like it ought to be a superb choice. Do you have them, or are you thinking about buying some?

1: Merging NADAC | Merrill Audio Veritas Amps | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Mjölnir Carbon Select | Stax SR-009
3: PSA DirectStream |KGHVSS | Stax SR-007
4: Lumin A1 | Audez'e King | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Audez'e LCD-4 | Senn HD800
NAS: Roon on RS2416+
  IP Logged
krell
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/07/11 at 23:36:35

I have some that i bought in the 80's for a preamp i no longer have.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/08/11 at 00:03:30

Hey Krell,

Have you listened to them yet?

Here is another link with interesting info on them.

https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

Look down the list on the right toward the bottom and glance through the explanations and reviews. It sounds like they could be mighty tubes!!!

Power-PSA P5/Brickwall/Shunyata Defender+>RevolutionMacMini/Audirvana>Kitsune Singxer>modified Gustard x20pro DAC; Cables: DIY + Pi Audio PCs, DIY: ICs, USB, Speaker; Decware- CSP3, Torii MKIV, HR1-all modified; DIY ZBIT; feet- Madscientist, Archie's, isocups, DIY
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/19/11 at 00:37:03

I have a set of Amperex PQ 7308 tubes on order to try as input tubes for the Toriis. First, I am putting some Siemens Halske E88CC tubes in the Ultra, and then plan to try the Amperex.

1: Merging NADAC | Merrill Audio Veritas Amps | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Mjölnir Carbon Select | Stax SR-009
3: PSA DirectStream |KGHVSS | Stax SR-007
4: Lumin A1 | Audez'e King | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Audez'e LCD-4 | Senn HD800
NAS: Roon on RS2416+
  IP Logged
GTort
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/09/12 at 04:49:40

I have recently rolled two Amperex JAN 7308 inputs for the stock 6N1P and am liking the results. Have about 30 hours on them and find them a definite upgrade to the upper-mids and highs. I don't know if these are the final answer as I have a number of other tubes on order but these are staying in for a while.
So far I found a larger improvement going from stock 5U4G rectifiers to SED Winged "C" 5U4G. just more tonal balance noticed instantly throughout the spectrum and a little more bass. I have other rectifiers to try but these will be tough to beat.

No ill effects as I wouldn't expect.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/10/12 at 02:16:25

I used Amperex USN 7308's in my original Torii, Torii II, and currently in my Z-capped Torii III.  

Very long-lasting tubes (10,000 hours?), plenty of gain in my system, and I'm quite happy with the sound.  Try to find a pair with closely matched triodes before you spend the dollars.  US Navy or not, the measurements on the ones I have seen, can vary quite a bit.

I wore out a pair of 1965 Amperex Holland made 7308 PQ's in my Torii I and Torii II, and found those to be very fine sounding tubes also.  The Dutch ones are tougher to find than the 1964-65 USN versions and more expensive.  As I remenber, the sonic differences were slight.

As always, your experience may vary.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print