Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Ultra Has Landed (Read 7854 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: The Ultra Has Landed
Reply #15 - 08/21/11 at 20:46:38

I posted something over in the ERR forum that probably belongs here:

Michael, thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out, but if I remember correctly, Outlaw doesn't disable the preamp segment, though, do they?

Anyway, the problem is two-fold: (1) the Ultra only has one set of 5.1 inputs, or inputs that accommodate all 6 audio channels of a surround system; and (2) an increasing number of A/V sources deliver hifh quality video signal through HDMI, while the component outputs often do not deliver as good a video signal (my Comcast/Motorola PVR, for example), and even if they do, the audio is typically 2-channel.

Thr Ultra is well designed for a single 5.1 front end, such as a Blu-Ray, plus three other 2-channel sources. The mixing capabilities provide ample redirection capabilities for putting that two-channel signal wherever you want it. But it's not the same as having multiple 5.1 or even HDMI inputs. In my system, I have the Blu-Ray player, which has a 5.1/7.1 and a 2.0 output, and I have the cable PVR and Apple TV. So, I need to get all those signals into the Ultra (or the Blu-Ray player, though the Oppo has no device switching capabilities).

The 4x2 HDMI matrix switcher seems to do a good job of extracting the 5.1 signals, though there is a bit of brittleness to the sound (which could all be from the source device).

The only problem I am now having is getting the Center channel to perform correctly. Even with a 5.1 signal, the only way I can get the Ultra to send out a signal is to flip the Norm/Mixed switch to Mixed. I turned out at first to have a bum (non-Decware) cable. Replacing that solved the zero output problem. But I am still not getting quite what I expect. I will get that one figured out or I will ring up Steve. It should be easy to test: pull the Matrix and input the Oppo directly to the Ultra.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/28/11 at 03:08:53

Right now, I am seeking either a Zektor MAS3 or MAS7.1. Either would supply all the necessary switching capabilities I need, and allow for remote control.

What I have discovered is that, the combo of the 4x2 HDMI matrix and the 5.1 switcher get me about 95% of the way to where I want to be. Trying to do everything through the 4x2 switcher was part of what caused my center output issues. Using the 2x5.1 audio switcher helped to sort that out. I have to switch manually between the Oppo and "everything else" [a once per viewing session action, so a modest PITA at worst], but I can remote control almost everything.

What I learned in discussions with Zektor, and their vendors, is that the penetration of HDMI has pretty much obviated the need for switchers of 5.1/7.1 audio. On flea bay, the half life of such listings is apparently about 17 nanoseconds, because of course, there are audiophiles out there who do want such devices.

Since the Ultra creates a need for just such devices, I am hoping Steve might decide that there is a justification for a proper passive switch with the quality of the stereo switch he makes now, but the flexibility for 5.1 audio for the Ultra. With or without remote control, such a switch is almost essential for the Ultra, if you have any sources besides a disc player.

« Last Edit: 08/28/11 at 03:12:59 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/28/11 at 21:17:32

Why not use the 2807?
I realize you probably don't want to run your m/ch sources through it, kinda defeats the purpose for having the Ultra, but I can't see how it would be any worse than sending them through a switching device.

Lin

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/29/11 at 07:00:47

Actually, Lin, I think it would be much worse. A properly constructed passive switch, such as the Zektor with relays, is literally just a convenient cable-swapper. There is minimal signal change. Not so with the Denon or any other type of pre/pro. I have several other options to try, including the 2807 as a separate pre/pro just for the cable and Apple TV. I would run ICs from the Denon to the secondary inputs of each Dec amp. That way, I don't double-preamp the signal, and perhaps the amps will smooth out the preamp a touch. I don't like that idea, and it involves its own manual switching, but it is on the list of ideas to work through.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print