Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
ERRs Have Arrived! (Read 26505 times)
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Re: ERRs Have Arrived!
Reply #90 - 08/21/11 at 16:29:48

Thanks for the pic, PR.  

I was too was wondering if what you needed was an A/V processor although I am not quite certain yet I completely understand the problem you were trying to solve and so didn't chime in.

Outlaw Audio has done something kinda interesting.  They will modify a Marantz SR-5005 receiver by disabling the internal amps for those who want to use external amplification.  It is believed it will reduce noise caused by the seven amps and certainly will use less juice.  For those who have equipment in a cabinent, I could see this reducing the amount of heat too.  $500 delivered.  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 08/21/11 at 20:14:36

Michael, thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out, but if I remember correctly, they don't disable the preamp segment, though, do they?

Anyway, the problem is two-fold: (1) the Ultra only has one set of 5.1 inputs, or inputs that accommodate all 6 audio channels of a surround system; and (2) an increasing number of A/V sources deliver hifh quality video signal through HDMI, while the component outputs often do not deliver as good a video signal (my Comcast/Motorola PVR, for example), and even if they do, the audio is typically 2-channel.

Thr Ultra is well designed for a single 5.1 front end, such as a Blu-Ray, plus three other 2-channel sources. The mixing capabilities provide ample redirection capabilities for putting that two-channel signal wherever you want it. But it's not the same as having multiple 5.1 or even HDMI inputs. In my system, I have the Blu-Ray player, which has a 5.1/7.1 and a 2.0 output, and I have the cable PVR and Apple TV. So, I need to get all those signals into the Ultra (or the Blu-Ray player, though the Oppo has no device switching capabilities).

The 4x2 HDMI matrix switcher seems to do a good job of extracting the 5.1 signals, though there is a bit of brittleness to the sound (which could all be from the source device).

The only problem I am now having is getting the Center channel to perform correctly. Even with a 5.1 signal, the only way I can get the Ultra to send out a signal is to flip the Norm/Mixed switch to Mixed. I turned out at first to have a bum (non-Decware) cable. Replacing that solved the zero output problem. But I am still not getting quite what I expect. I will get that one figured out or I will ring up Steve. It should be easy to test: pull the Matrix and input the Oppo directly to the Ultra.

« Last Edit: 08/21/11 at 20:47:09 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 08/21/11 at 21:08:37

Another pic, now with the second center speaker added, new screen, and components slightly re-arranged on the two racks:

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 08/22/11 at 02:10:18

Greg, thanks again for another pic and for the explanation.  I now understand better the issue.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 08/22/11 at 03:18:04

Michael, I have noticed that the Outlaw and Marantz units get good reviews. This Marantz pre-processor is impressive, and I could see using something like that to get the 5.1 properly decoded from the Apple TV and cable. If I have to. I may return the Denon to the system to give it a try for a while. I could connect the cable and ATV to the Denon for decoding, and hook up the Denon to the second sets of inputs on the amps.

But that's small stuff to worry about. Right now, I have great 2-channel audio, great 5.1 out of the Blu-Ray, and very good mixed multi-channel out of the other sources.

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #95 - 08/22/11 at 03:54:53

PR, What Denon do yo have?

Thanks,
Lin

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 08/22/11 at 05:45:21

Lin, it's the AVR-2807, about 5-6 years old. Decent unit.

IP Logged
TimF
Verified Member

Reply #97 - 08/22/11 at 11:34:09

Pale, all looks very nice indeed! I am sure you will get all your bugs worked out in due time. When you tire of messing with all this multi-channel junk, I will gladly take a pair of those ERR's off of your hands! Hah! Just kidding! Again, very nice setup there! Enjoy! Tim

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #98 - 08/22/11 at 12:40:42

Greg,

The set up looks great, I have to ask however, why didn't you place the Torii's on top of the racks on each side? Mister symmetrical here asking!

I love the addition to your signature.....Nice touch!

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 08/22/11 at 14:25:51

@Tim: thanks, they are very involving speakers. And something like the SACD of  Pink Floyd's DSOTM is pretty amazing.

Bob, I have tried to decide whether to be symmetrical or not here. I actually want to get the set up re-arranged so nothing is on either top shelf. This one of those "compromising with video" problems. If I had no viewing screen, both Toriis probably would be on the top shelf: easier to tube roll, even better ventilations (though there is plent of air flow through the racks), showing them off, etc. But with the width of my wall acting as a bit of a boundary, I cannot move the racks completely to each side of the screen. So, I raised the screen just enough to remove it from the line of sight of the top of the rack + 4 inches. Something with very clean lines like the all-black Oppo works pretty well, but the Toriis, with their prominent AC lines and ICs, are a noticeable visual distraction. If you are the one person sitting straight on to the plasma screen, you're fine, but anyone at an angle gets a bunch of Torii silhouette as part of their visual experience.

When the racks first arrived, and I set them up, I briefly thought: "Should have gotten the 36-inch height," because the lower 6 inches wold have been much easier for non-obsrruction of the video. But I soon saw the 42-inch version was indeed necessary. I could live without the extra shelf in a pinch, but not without the height. Tubes and cords need clearance. If I only had two Toriis, no problem, or maybe an Ultra and one Torii, or two SE amps. But I don't. I have the Ultra, 2 Toriis, and 2 SE amps.

I have considered putting the two Power Plants up top, but they are neither the true feature of the system, nor matched. One other factor was limiting the length of analog cable runs. I wanted to keep the Ultra and front end Torii, close to each other, and the Oppo (with its analog outs) as close to the Ultra as possible. I first tried to put all amps, preamp, and Oppo on the same rack, and that did not work. Ah well, it will get sorted.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #100 - 08/23/11 at 12:41:26

Greg,
That makes perfect sense. I never noticed that the rack impeded  the screen. I guess I was thinking more the cool factor, but I can see how a glowing tube or two Wink  could distract from the the person not sitting straight on.

Looking good at the Pale Riders house......

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 08/23/11 at 16:40:54

The cool factor would be undeniable. I would love to show them off more, but in person, the number of tubes and the amps are unavoidable and very impressive. I am going to place the Taboo next to the SE84ZS, drive it with the Ultra and use it for my headphones. All good. Thanks again for all the fantastic quality and craftsmanship, Bob.

IP Logged
atkatana
Verified Member

Reply #102 - 08/23/11 at 21:26:49

So I am trying to make my mind up about the ERR's.  I am looking at them and the 944's.  Both grabbed me as they are efficient and will go well with a rebuilt Fisher 500c I expect back any day now.  Its a bedroom system but I live in a busy urban area and tend to run music all night.  The system can be on 10-12 hours a day easy between sleep and listening time.
I would like something that is close to full range 40 hrz will do, 30 would be better, but I can live if 40 is a realistic cut off.  I like a speaker to image, not beam or give up its location.  I will forgive some level of tone, and deep bass for a better image.  One that makes me forget there are speakers in the room.  Have been looking at some ohm's for a bit now, but have not pulled the trigger.  At the moment I have the Cantus Leasier II in the system and while very good, I would really love to play with something other then a monitor.  I owned Celestion SL 600's for over a decade and love monitors.  Says a lot about how much I value a speakers image.
Bottom line its a 3rd system in a small room 12x13x9 and while its gets a good bit of use I want something that appeals without breaking the bank.
So give the above can anyone tell me what they think.... ERR or the 944?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #103 - 08/24/11 at 02:17:38

Atkatana,

Welcome to the forum.......

From what it sounds like, you would be much better off with the ERR's that the MG944's. Being a bedroom system, and more passive listening than serious listening, and given the ERR's uncanny imaging ability, they would be the clear choice.

ZYGI

IP Logged
atkatana
Verified Member

Reply #104 - 08/24/11 at 11:30:14

Thanks much Ziggy.... now all I have to do is talk the wife into another pair of speakers Smiley  Been leaning towards the ERR for a couple weeks now, but wanted to check with folks who had listened.

Thanks again, I supposed I will be getting in line for mine here shortly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print