10/01/14 at 15:33:51

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
ERRs Have Arrived! (Read 25929 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: ERRs Have Arrived!
Reply #45 - 08/07/11 at 22:38:59

Bob built the center channels with the tweeters facing rearward. Going to try them that way first.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 08/08/11 at 01:03:15

Well, today was the day. I got the plasma on the wall, and while my ZenStyx and ICs have not arrived yet, I went ahead and hooked the Ultra and the first Torii up to the Oppo. OMFG.

We (my two younger daughters and I) started out with Nina Simone's Feeling Good, followed by Thrice's The Artist in the Ambulance, Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill, and then Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms. At some point during Thrice, something opened up and the bottom fell out. Or in. Okay Bob, I surrender, on music, a subwoofer is superfluous. Even my daughters asked "what just happened?" This combo produces tight, well-defined, extremely fast bass. So, then it was time for the 1812, Verdi's Requiem, and Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven off the How the West Was Won DVD-Audio. Just effin' wow. Have some hum to deal with when there is no signal, though it is unnoticeable during music.

Even more compelling is the depth. This must be what Steve means when he talks about holographic imaging. That and the detail. On The Man's Too Strong, you can hear Knopfler's fingers on the strings of his guitar quite distinct from the music. When it's so good your kids can tell it's better than what was playing before, you know you are on to something.

« Last Edit: 08/08/11 at 01:07:53 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #47 - 08/08/11 at 01:15:07

OMG, I knew this was going to happen. So happy to hear how great it sounds, and it's going to get better and better with cables, break-in, etc.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 08/08/11 at 19:51:05

Solved my hum issues. My amp is dead quiet but, heh, my cheap sh!t zip speaker cord and the tangle of wires around them are not. Once the racks and cables are here, I expect to have even fewer problems and more grins.

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 08/09/11 at 01:16:48

That's really cool, PR.    [smiley=16.gif]

How many ERRs are talking about at this point?  Did you walk around the room?  How would you describe the image height?  What about midrange/treble response?  How far apart are the speakers?  Distance from the wall?

Sorry -- I mentioned I was going to live vicariously through your experience.

« Last Edit: 08/09/11 at 01:24:19 by mac5u »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 08/09/11 at 01:19:22

Just 4. The center ones are not hooked in yet.

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 08/09/11 at 01:28:42

Sorry, I was trying to edit my response to you and accidentally hit the submit button before I got beyond the number of speaker question.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 08/09/11 at 02:19:50

No worries, M. In answer to your questions, yes, I walk around a lot in the room. There is no question there is a difference in the soundstage when sitting versus standing up. The ribbons have a fairly wide horizontal dispersion, and a fairly narrow vertical one. So, there can be a significant difference standing up, especially in the perceived distance of the soundstage. But what is amazing is how instrument or voice location remains rock solid. It's almost eerie, to walk to the left side of the room, stand to the left of the left speaker, and still hear the right side of the soundstage over on the right side. In other words, the bass player is still "over there," right where he is supposed to be. I am still playing with the trim pots; I think the treble might be a bit hot, but it depends on volume and music. At low volume, bass is shy, so treble seems brighter. At regular volume, they just sound great.

My ERRs are about 8-10 inches from the wall, about 12 feet apart. It is worth noting that my wall is free-standing, and the speakers are at each end of it, and surrounded mostly by open space.  They are not in corners. Ceiling is high and angled, and the room is broken up by a number of different planes, and a variety of reflective and absorptive surfaces. I am working on both bass traps and diffraction panels as well.

IP Logged
TimF
Verified Member

Reply #53 - 08/09/11 at 13:54:51

Pale Rider, very cool, glad to hear how things are going. Some of your information here is good for me as well. My Ohm's also do the soundstaging nicely in regards to being off to one side or the other. I like not having to be locked into a tight listening/seating area and still be able to enjoy a good soundstage. Very good! I continue to read with interest. Tim

IP Logged
TimF
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 08/09/11 at 22:46:46

Not to hijack the thread, but for mac5u/Mike-yes I am the one that has talked with you over on the "Gon" about Ohm's. Sorry couldn't reply to your message, need I guess one more post, then I can!

Yes, I am still very intrigued by the ERR's and want to take the plunge here at some point, but kind of biding my time and learning. I have to say again, the construction/quality of these just going by looks is enough to make me want a pair, let alone the work and design put into them. I am sure they sound as good as they look.

One of these days!  Tim

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #55 - 08/10/11 at 00:56:58

Tim,

Welcome to the forum!  You could always make the trip this fall to Decfest at Steve's place.

Mac5u/Mike, are you still planning on making the trip to Decfest as well?

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
TimF
Verified Member

Reply #56 - 08/10/11 at 11:48:43

Thanks for the welcome here. Zygi, I have thought about coming over to the Decfest, it sounds like a great time. It is all going to come down to timing as my job has a lot going on during that month and it might be hard to squeeze in. But I am going to try and see what I can do there! Tim

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 08/10/11 at 22:39:34

Hi ZYGI,

First of all, I have been remiss in not posting about my visit to your place.  I had meant to do that after returning from my buisness trip to Orlando but one thing then another...anyway, I still plan to do a post about my trip but the details will be a little thin as my memory has faded a bit on everything we listened to that day.

I had planned on attending both Decfest and RMAF but now may only be able to attend one.  I'll make a decision soon.

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 08/10/11 at 22:46:09

Tim,

Cool that you found Decware. Since you have owned a couple different types of Ohms, I hope you get the chance to compare the ERRs.  Someone here posted he thought the ERRs would be most comparable to the 3000 series which is what you have.  If so, that would surprise me...and really say something about the ERRs.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 08/11/11 at 00:03:59

I am still hoping to make it to DecFest this year, though work is doing its best/worst to interfere.

For now, I am just loving listening to the ERRs. Right now, I have R-men's I thought about you spinning. It's a 24/192 disc that is simply superb. The bass and brushes-on-snare contrast is amazing. Piano is lock solid. Just beautiful.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print