Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/24/14 at 02:48:42

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Are you using a preamp? (Read 10595 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Are you using a preamp?
Reply #30 - 05/28/12 at 15:31:04

vmax wrote on 05/28/12 at 05:21:13:
I use a pre amp, for a simple reason, less heat. I tried using the input to run from My cd-player to the Torrii. the Torrii got quite abit warmer inside the unit than with a preamp when that input (from the cd-player) was selected, even with the Torrii volume down... the pre-amp has a better sound quality than My cd-player in My system also.....

Interesting! I never noticed a heat difference myself. CSP2 are such great preamps!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #31 - 05/28/12 at 15:38:47

alper_yilmaz wrote on 05/28/12 at 09:15:12:
I use a CSP pre in front of my Torii MKII.  My system includes a Mac Mini (fed by two separate external drives) feeding a Hegel HD20 DAC via Toslink.  The HD20 has a digital volume control and feeds the Torii quite fine with its 2.5 V output.

Somehow the CSP in between gives me more headroom, a more articulate sound stage and a better representation of bass, mids and treble.  The only downside is, somehow, as soon as I put the CSP in the signal chain, there is some hum

Reply #31 - Today at 9:33am Modify Remove
in the system which does not get in the way of music, yet a bit annoying particularly late at night.  I swapped so many different tubes, but I have not been able to reduce the hum.  I have checked my connections as well, but no solution...

I am considering getting a Hegel P30 pre towards the end of the year.  Thankfully, I will have a chance to try it before buying it, as it is an expensive piece of gear.

Best,

Alper

I'm always struggling with hum with the CSP2, and I don't believe it's tubes either. I blame my DVR being in the system, but that may not be the case either. Perplexing.

One day I might order a new one (mine is the previous model, and in the old black metal chassis.) But that's a bit away. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 05/30/12 at 01:17:06

Lon's piece (including Steve's stuff) about riding the gain is dead on.

I think everyone knows I use the Ultra as a preamp. It's being fed by the PWD Mk II, an AppleTV, an Oppo BDP-95, and a Comcast DVR. The Ultra feeds two Torii Mk III amps for the front and rear, an 84ZS for the center channel, and a Taboo (for headphone listening). In order to get the benefit of all this stuff, and the surprising amount of 5.1 material on Comcast, as well as the ATV, the SVR and ATV run through a Dolby digital decoder. The PWD goes straight into the Ultra for 2-channel only. The other units then all feed into a Zektor MAS7.1 switch which then feeds the 6-channel A input of the Ultra. All this stuff resides on two ZRACKs. Listeners are surrounded by 6 ERRs, none more than a few feet away from any listener. Power is regenerated by two PS Audio Power Port Premiers.

If I turn every single component up to max volume, I can hear a bit of hum, but that would be an ear-splitting volume. At anything remotely listenable without pain, even in the quietest of well-recorded passages, I have no hum. My Toriis are set roughly at halfway, while my Ultra is typically 1/3 of full. I don't say this to boast—after all, it's not my achievement—but only to say that hum is not inherent in the design. I have a lot of quality cables running around "back there," and if there was going to be a hum opportunity, I ought to have it.

I have definitely noticed that some tubes are much more microphonic than others, and presumably some tube types and makes are more likely to contribute to hum than others. Tube combinations on these units are nearly infinite. Hum induced by specific tubes could be maddening to track down I guess.

At the end of the day, even if the Ultra had no switching role in my system, the improvement in dynamic headroom is worth having. My system simply does not sound the same without the Ultra.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #33 - 05/30/12 at 02:58:04

I found that using a (tube) pre with my SE84CS really brought it alive.
With my SE34I, I tried using a pre on and off for sometime, finally ended up selling it, the pre was just an added box in the chain.
I need to be constantly reminded, apparently, that "synergy is everything"
There are very few if any hard & fast rules!
Best
Don

Decware SE34I w/ CCE mod, ZCD, Heybrook/Linn/Clearaudio, Hagerman,
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
  IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 08/19/13 at 04:00:25

just to follow up on the heat anomaly; just a tube heater problem,  not a big deal runs cool now..... btw just using a Rotel  rsp 1098 as a preamp for now..

« Last Edit: 08/19/13 at 04:40:21 by vmax »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print