Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/21/14 at 15:42:52

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Which input tube for a splash of seduction? (Read 29824 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Which input tube for a splash of seduction?
Reply #60 - 07/12/11 at 16:23:25

Wow, can you schedule turning the Torii off too every five hours? Pretty cool. Good idea!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 07/12/11 at 16:56:28

Yeah, seems like the ▒ 5hr heat up-cool down cycles are a big deal for settling caps.

« Last Edit: 07/12/11 at 16:56:53 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 07/12/11 at 17:15:20

Turning the amp on and off on 5 hour cycles is not too difficult, but I do have a question: how significant is amplifier volume during the break-in process?

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 07/12/11 at 18:45:17

I don't really know, but it seems logical to flex the gear similarly to how we would be using it if we were in the room listening. So if your amp is hooked to resistors or to speakers seems like varying the volume levels as we would while listening makes sense???

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 07/12/11 at 19:11:45

Agreed. Seems logical, especially for the caps. I know when I received my Liquid Fire, the designer recommended another 150 hours of break-in, over and above the 50 they did before shipping, and he supplied a dummy load, and recommended that the volume be turned 3/4 up.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 07/12/11 at 19:26:45

The 3/4 thing makes some sense too I suppose...pushing the current through everything hard. Or maybe use a big push as part of the equation with more normal levels interspersed...

It would be interesting to get Steve's take on this. Called him lately?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 07/12/11 at 20:00:29

Have not, but would like to get his take.

IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #67 - 07/13/11 at 00:36:58

I got my Nationals today and popped them in after work.

First impression:  delicious! I don't normally enjoy tubes immediately, but without burn in this is more up my alley. Thunderous bass is back as is a little moisture--this amp has such palpable images...  just solid and holographic.

Very impressive.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 07/13/11 at 00:41:15

Great to hear Gopher! áI am putting the same tube in my Ultra, and will swap between them and the Ediswans in my Toriis.

« Last Edit: 07/13/11 at 01:09:39 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 07/13/11 at 01:41:26

Happy day!

Since it is so good now, it will be interesting to hear your thoughts with more push from the coming VRs.

« Last Edit: 07/13/11 at 01:42:53 by will »  

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 07/13/11 at 19:37:03

Gopher,

Now that you've got the Nationals installed, how do you think the TORII compares with the Shindo gear?

IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #71 - 07/13/11 at 21:47:52

Kind of a difficult question as my only Shindo experience was with a preamplifier rather than a power amp.  I can say the Shindo gear has some of the most beautiful tone I've heard with very lifelike dynamics and just a natural, intrinsically musical sound.

The Torii's sound is very masculine by comparison.  Really palpable images with supreme texture and BALLS for days.  It makes some really great bass with my Zu speakers that I didn't know they could produce and its dynamic characteristic is almost larger than life.  For grins I found myself listening to hip hop last night and the Torii obliged.

The Auregies-L preamplifier I had has a 5000ohm output impedance.  Would that be a horrible match for the Torii?  I'm thinking to mate their virtues and put a Shindo in front of the Torii (with slightly more room treatments) might be my audio nirvana.

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 07/13/11 at 22:26:47

Gopher,

Thanks for the feedback.

On your preamp question see:

http://www.decware.com/paper55.htm

A 5Kohms output into a 100K input should work, but based on your
source output voltage, do you need the extra gain from the preamp?

IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #73 - 07/14/11 at 00:47:17

Now I really regret selling it before receiving my torii!  My sources have adequate gain, that shouldn't be an issue at all.

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 07/14/11 at 07:37:47

Seller's regret, a subject that lots of us long time Audiophiles have had to deal with.

I remember when my hand made Futterman mono amps went out the front door, but it seems that Decware has given us a second chance at
sonic salvation.

My TORII was shipped today. A showdown against my KWA 100SE and a pair of $70K monos awaits. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Send Topic Print