Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/02/14 at 13:33:01

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Which input tube for a splash of seduction? (Read 35761 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Which input tube for a splash of seduction?
Reply #30 - 07/09/11 at 06:37:03

Gopher,

I guess I equated desire for warmth and sweetness as equivalent to your sound being a little cool for your tastes. Semantics are hard. And I was not suggesting bringing articulation to the system, I was wondering if you had done work with your old setup to open/brighten the sound, perhaps being good for the old system, and perhaps over-compensation for the Torii. Then, if so, it is possible that these could be re-adjusted with the Torii to sway things toward a sound you find sweeter. But if everything is great other than a little "embellishment" I suspect you can find that with tubes.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #31 - 07/09/11 at 18:59:06

I received the RCA 5u4gs today and they're plugged in now.  They may need some time to settle, but the first thing I notice is a significantly less impactfull bass and a little vagueness to the sound like a light veil.

I guess I'll see what a weekends worth of burn in/settling time brings.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 07/09/11 at 20:07:27

I think that will change when breakin is past. I find these to give me the deepest and warmest bass of any other brands and types I've tried, and a bit of bloom others don't.

Here's hoping they're what you like! If you find you don't like them, I may be interested in buying the pair from you. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 07/09/11 at 21:10:07

Gopher, Did you get 5U4G-ST (coke bottle shape like the rubys) or 5U4G-B (straight side, bottle shape.) I have no experience with the B. And my interpretation of the ST may not be like yours, but can see how you could see it that way. I put the Rubies in to check with my current tube set, and with these amp settings. For my system, the bass with the RCAs is more focused and defined, but I would not say there is a lot less.....and everything is more liquid/sweet, the Rubies having an edginess by contrast.

With this setup, the Rubys are way in-your-face. But with a softer/warmer tube set, they might sound quite good to me. Interested, I then put some herbies RX tube dampers on the Rubys, and they became more liquid and balanced, with tighter bass, and less edgy, but still edgy. So I guess it is really relative to everything else. One thing is for sure, if I were using the Rubies, I would play with my amp adjustments and tubes (set now for the RCAs) to adjust to what they bring to the sound. The difference between them and the RCAs are notable, begging for a synergy that this set and settings don't give them.

Also, I find at times that some combinations of tubes can make the qualities of individual tubes change in unusual ways, bringing out different things than expected as some other tube in the setup takes a dominant influence over them.

Finally, if your tubes are NOS, I agree with Lon, they will likely take a while to settle in. I seem to remember my RCAs taking something like 50 hours???? to begin to open up, but can't be sure about that.

If you can run the system while away, and since you have very specific tastes and are playing with new stuff a lot, the Esoteric/Iso-tek Burnin CD may be worth a serious look. It is supposed to shorten burnin a lot in a safe, mathematically calculated way. It took me a long time to get there, but I recently had a lot of new/repaired stuff at once and the burnin was killing me after having really good sound, so I was happy to spend the thirty bucks or so it costs. There is a good review on it out there somewhere.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 07/09/11 at 22:13:49

I did have an ST type pair of RCAs years ago, but in comparison I've preferred the B type, both looks (never really like the coke bottle shape) and sound. My remarks above were about the B type in the Torii Mk II and III.

The new Electro Harmonix B type is a decent modern tube, sort of in between the Ruby (which really never has worked out for me well) and the RCA.

« Last Edit: 07/09/11 at 22:14:32 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #35 - 07/09/11 at 22:24:40

I suspect they'll change with some hours as well.  It is one 1953 and 1955 coke bottle RCA 5u4g.  I purchased them from tubeword where they tested new but had smudged labels.  

I was just posting some initial findings--I'm not worried about it or anything.  These things probably haven't seen any usage in a couple decades (if they ever did) I'll give them a fair chance to warm up.  The decrease in bass quantity was a little surprising, but I've been in the hobby long enough not to judge a tube (or most equipment) immediately.

I do have the Isotek burn in tones which I will be running over night at a low volume.  Until then I'll leave my system on idling--unfortunately my listening room is also my living room and my wife and kid need to utilize this area--especially on weekends, without listening to burn in tones in the back ground...  they just don't get it!   Grin

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/10/11 at 02:55:19

Quote:
I did have an ST type pair of RCAs years ago, but in comparison I've preferred the B type, both looks (never really like the coke bottle shape) and sound. My remarks above were about the B type in the Torii Mk II and III.

Lon, I am just shocked. Dazed. Confused. On looks alone, the bottle shape has a seductiveness that rivals Sophia Loren. Seriously, you have completely undone the underpinnings of my world. Wink

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #37 - 07/10/11 at 14:33:01

Sorry to undermine those underpinnings. Smiley I'm sure a nice nap will restore them.

I'm a lover all sort of womanly body shapes, but like my valves symmetrically round and straight.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 07/10/11 at 15:24:34

Quote:

That is funny Lon. If I remember correctly, it was your love of the RCA 5U4G that finally got me off my butt to try some. I had been using 5AR4s then. And since the stock Ruby was an ST, and since Brent Jesse recommended STs over Bs, it never occurred to me that you were referring to 5U4G-Bs.

But I really like the sound and shape of the ST so no problem....just interesting. Wink

Now I'll have to find some Bs to try!

« Last Edit: 07/10/11 at 15:25:35 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #39 - 07/10/11 at 15:43:27

It is worth a chuckle. I confess it's been long enough, and enough system changes, that I may even prefer the sound of the ST now, it's hard to know. But I really do enjoy my Bs (the ones I'm using came with Bob's Torii Mk II). One of them is giving me problems (it seems to be problematic making contact and glowing, every now and then I have to re-seat it in the socket) and in time I'll be looking for a new one. I used the Electroharmonix 5U4GB for a spell, which is almost as good (a less lush presentation but very dynamic) and those are now in my second system Mk II.

I believe I am using a very similar RCA in my CSP2. I'm telling you, the CSP2 has become an integral part of my system, probably in a similar way that your ZSTAGE has to yours. I can change the entire signature of the amp just by adjusting the gain pots. It's like having several different amps by that method alone, let alone the changes you can make to the Mk III with input bias and speaker settings. Coupled with the electrical accuracy and stability the PS Audio Premier has brought to the scene, I'm just constantly rediscovering my system's playback beauty. It's nothing like real live music Smiley but it's glorious.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 07/10/11 at 15:53:23

Damn, it sounds like the Music Direct Ps Audio Premier was a deal not to miss, but alas, I did.

And yes, I totally get the gain stage thing. Great tool! I would love to hear the CSP2 in that capacity.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 07/10/11 at 16:46:21

Will, indeed, tha PSA Power Plant was a great deal at Music Direct. I wish I had just gone ahead and bought two. There is one right now in black on fleabay, (used to be two of them), used, but the price is not bad, starting at 949 with a BIN of 1149. In the alternative, I can attest that the Transcendent Balanced Power Supply is very effective at creating a black background, with no discernible hum or noise. It was also fun to put together. I plan to pair it with a PSA Quintet.

« Last Edit: 07/10/11 at 16:53:10 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 07/10/11 at 17:07:55

Thanks Greg, If you could have only one, your balanced or your regen, which would you have? Does one do things better or more completely than he other sound-wise? And when you say there is no discernible noise from the balanced kit, do you mean the unit adds no noise, or the unit eliminates all noise previously heard? Sorry to get off topic, but actually power noise has a big impact on tube sound> Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 07/10/11 at 22:57:00

Will, I cannot yet say that the BPS reduces noise, though I believe it does. It does not reduce the THD coming out of the wall socket, but its design should have less noise, and the sense of black would seem to support that. It is definitely "blacker" than the Monster AVS-2000 it has replaced. But if I had to choose between just one—the BPS or the PPP—I would almost certainly choose the PPP. While more expensive, it is more flexible, has more current capability, has the isolated zones, etc.

IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #44 - 07/11/11 at 01:54:44

I did a little passive listening today and things sounded a bit more relaxed with the RCA 5u4gs.  The bass impact was definitely not where it was, but it was still pleasing and I suspect I can dial some in with the bass knob once things settle.  

The Nationals should be in on tuesday and I'm hoping to be acquainted with the sound by that time--I usually get a bit of time to listen on monday nights.  I also purchased some OA3 tubes on ebay (mine only came with the reg tubes that burn purple).

So I'll have some combinations to play with.

Ohh another variable that changed is that my GIK tri-traps were dropped off at my parents house to reside until I sell my condo.  They were a major issue for my wife, so I'm just using some also very good (and less intrusive) vimak corner traps up front.  They'll have to do for now--truthfully I don't hear a big difference between the two bass traps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Send Topic Print