Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/23/14 at 04:57:13

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
Which input tube for a splash of seduction? (Read 38267 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Which input tube for a splash of seduction?
Reply #195 - 01/27/12 at 15:27:02

Morgan,

Also, where are you treble and bass knobs, and the bias and impedance switches.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #196 - 02/01/12 at 03:16:45

Hi Will.   I was letting the Super Cryos burn in over the weekend and wasn't listening too much.  

My bass knob is at 9 o'clock or so and the treble knob at 1-2 or so.   The impedence switch is in the rear position (not sure what number that is).  I have the bias switch in the front in the forward position.  

Thanks for all the help:)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 02/01/12 at 06:40:02

Hey Morgan, Those answers will help. By the way, your impedance switch is toward the higher value (back) and the bias is on the higher value too (front). Together you are set on fully cranked.

And I guess you have explored lower bass knob setting to open up the low mid/bass a bit??? That would chill the dark aspect of warmth anyway. They are odd compared to the usual. To me, the bass knob right gives fuller/rounder bass, but also some nice textures. And left, tighter, more open bass/low mids, but a little tighter sound throughout. That balance is always changing a bit on my amp when I switch tubes. I don't know about you, but I find that bass knobs do quite a lot when you listen to the full spectrum of the music, and 1/8 turn can be important.

If you look at my post before last I had some thoughts as to how to head somewhere based on what tubes you are using, and asking specifically what you would like to be different. I have messed with a lot of tubes and might be able to give some simple suggestions toward your goal if I had a clearer idea of it. Maybe anyway.

« Last Edit: 02/01/12 at 06:41:30 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #198 - 02/03/12 at 06:35:36

Thanks Will.   I did miss your earlier post, so thanks for the advice and for the guiding me how best to decide what I am missing or looking for!  

I am breaking in a new pair of the National 7Dj8 and a pair of the Super Cryo 61NP's along with my new Pendragons.   So I have been laying off of trying to fine tune too much at this moment as on day she sounds amazing and the next day a little less exciting:(.   With my prior full range speakers, it took >400 hours to break in so I suspect I'm having a little of that right now.....also I can't crank her up above about 75-80dB due to my neighbors, so that slows the break in process a bit.  

I did play with the bass knobs tonight and I think I have a better feel for the, now.   I do have a few questions.  
1.  Where do you run your bass knob?  Far left?
2. What do you mean by fully cranked with the impedence switch back and the bias switch forward?   I've played with them a bit and I think I prefer them this way.   It gives a bit more warmth and intimacy to the vocalists.  More of the "in the room" sensation if you will.

I am going to run the system for a few days straight to aid the break in and hopefully be Saturday I'll have a better idea of what's happening.  

Thanks again....Morgan

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #199 - 02/03/12 at 16:25:38

Morgan, I think those two inputs will be a nice test sets for you. I look forward to your impressions. Yes.....the breaking in thing along with moderate volumes, I get your reticence to evaluate. Especially for the speakers, but those Nationals will take a while to settle down and smooth in, and Lon says likewise for the 6N1P.

What I meant by cranked from the switches: the higher impedance sounds to me like it pushes the speakers harder and also faster???. A bit louder, a bit more present with an increased articulation that seems to come from more push/punch rather than more detail. I don't think of this as good or bad, but is a great tool for tuning to different speakers of other system factors as you have found. I tend to always be impressed with mine at the back/high setting, but fall back to the front/low setting preferring the more open relaxed sound. But that is my system/room and taste, and I don't think there is a "right" setting for this.

I think the bias switch in the forward position actually pushes up the bias of the output tubes a bit. The back position is more neutral. So forward, I think we get more presence and warmth, with a bit more across the spectrum .... a touch more upper mid emphasis, fuller mid-mids, more bass punch.....

So with both in the high positions, the amp is set to its higher output settings so to speak. This is what I meant by the amp being fully cranked...yours is set for exactly what you hear, with more presence and power which manifests as more warmth and intimacy in your setting.

I play around with my bass and treble knobs a lot. With tube changes, as little as a 1/8 turn here or there is important to me now that I understand them. One thing I find really cool about them both is how you can tune the sound stage with them nudging the center vocal exactly into the center with fine tuning. Or if all is well with the sound stage center, but one side of the room seems a little less sparkly...just a little tweak the knobs, very slightly tightening the bass (bass left), or punching the highs (treble right), or both, can bring everything into the beauty.

I tend to run mine with both the bass and treble knobs in the 11-1 o'clock range providing the sweet area for me in this system/room. But I don't think there is a right setting. They are there to help get you where you feel the best about the music.

I think the trickiest thing to figure out for me was the bass knobs. I find that they tighten or relax the sound throughout the spectrum, though it is most apparent with the bass. So I am always looking for that place where the bass only just tight enough because I love the midrange texture that comes with this setting, tight enough, but still warmish.

« Last Edit: 02/03/12 at 16:26:43 by will »  

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #200 - 02/13/12 at 05:37:33

Thanks Will.  I have been using your advice for the last week and I am now getting the hang of it and loving the endless flexibility of this amp.  

The speakers are breaking in nicely, the tubes are getting there too, and I just upgraded to the new EE DAC Plus (from the Tranquility SE). That along with my new PI Audio UberBuss and power cord, Sunday AC free from degradation, and I am loving life Smiley.   I am running a pair of Japanese Mullard GZ-34's with the National 7DJ8's, and the JJ 6AC7's and the system has been running all weekend and is simply the best I have ever heard regardless of price. I am free from any listening fatigue, glare, or brightness and the sound stage and imaging is fantastic with the Pendragons.  Vocalists are in the room, jazz is fast, dynamic, and detailed, and even poor recordings sound pretty good!  So thanks for the help guys!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #201 - 02/13/12 at 12:43:39

Morgan, amazing amps aren't they? So glad you've been enjoying yours so deeply. Nice too that you are close enough to Michael to have an audio buddy that way!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #202 - 02/13/12 at 14:58:41

Awesome Morgan!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print