Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/28/14 at 00:06:57

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
Which input tube for a splash of seduction? (Read 34119 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Which input tube for a splash of seduction?
Reply #180 - 12/21/11 at 02:01:02

All I can say is that this is one fun thread.;)

My new best friend 5U4GB appear "short," with black plates and D getters. Will post a link if I can.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #181 - 01/03/12 at 13:41:12

Thanks Lon, that is interesting. I actually have two pair of 5U4GBs that look like exactly the same construction, tall bottle, the same black plates, micas the same, double top hallow getters....everything the same. Both tested similarly too. One has no writing and was sold as an RCA make, the other pair is labeled Sylvania, and though their sounds have characteristics that are obviously the same, one is cooler and the other more rich and textural. Go figure.

That's what I've noticed too Will.....all these old tubes sound different!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #182 - 01/03/12 at 14:35:48

I finally found another set of RCAs that sound like the one that I most prize, so I have both pairs going in both Toriis and am very happy. And I have the other RCA pair (which sounds better in the Mk II than in the III) as a spare, along with a pair of EH that aren't too bad. I'm good for quite some time! (which probably won't stop me from picking up more if found cheaply).

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #183 - 01/03/12 at 15:08:45

Hi All,

I've recently been "re-employed", so only able to view sporadically...nice to see some new names enjoying Steve's wonderful offerings.

I noticed some ways back that someone mentioned an RCA 0C2 tube...would you mind sharing your source? I'd love to try it!

Mac Mini (Amarra)>DIY (TDA 1541A, Ian FIFO) USB Dac (Tube Output)>Torii III(V-Caps, Attenuator)>Zen Styx>C3-L Monitors/Model H Sub (plate amp)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #184 - 01/03/12 at 15:55:44

Chris, good to see you.

I haven't seen any other source besides ebay (when listed) for these. I snagged a pair. A drier presentation than the Raytheon, I'm using them now and happy enough with them. The Raytheon may go back in soon though, I miss a sort of "bloom" they impart.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #185 - 01/03/12 at 16:26:35

And congrats on being re-employed. I haven't steeled up the nerve to begin job-hunting yet but I hope that happens to me before summer.

IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #186 - 01/03/12 at 16:32:19

Lon,

Thanks for the kind words and keeping the musical faith!

Losing my job hit me pretty hard, so it's nice to be gainfully employed again.

I'll continue to search ebay for those RCA 0C2's.

Mac Mini (Amarra)>DIY (TDA 1541A, Ian FIFO) USB Dac (Tube Output)>Torii III(V-Caps, Attenuator)>Zen Styx>C3-L Monitors/Model H Sub (plate amp)
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 01/03/12 at 18:45:18

Hey Chris,

To me the input VRs (at least of the same type) are the most subtle shifters in the Torii. But if your tube set/system/room is on the revealing side, changing from Raytheon to RCA OC2s is a real choice (changing to an OB2 is a big shift BTW). I like both the RCA and Raytheon, but I use the RCA most of the time. Both tubes bring out good balance top to bottom.

Like Lon said, the Raytheon does seem to have a little more bloom...it is a warmer tube, a little low mid bump that blends the music slightly more but without masking detail ...all good if this is what you need. The RCA I have I would call transparent, which can be good or bad to me depending on the other tubes, system and room, especially the input tubes that these regs "filter". The RCA is more open and spacious, more differentiating, and pulls a bit more ambient information. This is what I hear comparing the two with the tube set I have in right now, and for my sound needs a meaningful choice.

I buy from Ebay when I can too, an exceptional place for inexpensive 5U4GBs these days BTW.

But I check regularly with Brendan at tubeworld, who seems to always have the more obscure stuff, and VRs are relatively inexpensive.

https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

The site is weird. Individual page links don't take you there, and the search does not necessarily work for O type tubes. Click Vacuum Tube Stock, then All Tubes from the links across the top...the top one is O. I got my RCAs here.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #188 - 01/03/12 at 18:52:50

Thanks for the input Will.

I've purchased from Brendan in the past. He's a good guy.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 01/04/12 at 02:39:39

C.E. wrote:

Quote:
I noticed some ways back that someone mentioned an RCA 0C2 tube...would you mind sharing your source? I'd love to try it!

C.E., just to be clear, you are looking for RCA NOS versions of the 0C2, the tube that ships with the Torii? I found RCA, Sylvania, and Raytheon I believe on eBay. There is a listing there now.  Brendan at TubeWorld is also a good source.

« Last Edit: 01/04/12 at 02:42:18 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
torsionbar
Verified Member

Reply #190 - 01/27/12 at 04:11:48

So... without reading all 13 pages, what's the consensus on the input tube?

Also FYI I have several different NOS 6922 tubes here.  NOS RCA and NOS Russian OTK.  Every NOS input tube I've tried sounded slightly "muddy", and also dramatically lowered the gain.  I'd have to turn the volume knob way way past where I normally would, to get the same gain as with the included EH brand 6922's.

Does that sound right?  What's so magical about the EH 6922's that they provide so much more gain than any others?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #191 - 01/27/12 at 04:29:27

That seems odd. I've had EH 6922s (just sent a pair off with my SE34 Monoblocks to the new owner) and didn't notice they were "hotter" than other tubes. I've had OTK 6N2P tubes which were muddy and lower in output but not 6N1Ps marked OTK.

I'm not sure there really is a consensus on the input tubes, two or three different tube types seem to have a following among users.

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #192 - 01/27/12 at 08:40:59

Hi Will or Lon,
    What would you rank as your most revealing tube combination?  I ask as my speakers are on the warm side which I love and the bass is phenomenal (I'm praying not too be booted out before I buy a place). Just wanted to get your thoughts.......

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #193 - 01/27/12 at 12:38:28

There are so so many variables that I really doubt even exactly replicating another's tube set would get the same or closlely similar results. (Especially telling are the speakers, room, personal tonal balance tastes, and dare I say it, interconnects and power cords and speaker cables!)

I'll bite though and list what I've been using. As I've mentioned just a bit upstream I'm a big fan of the 6N1P as the input tube, I've tried others with various other combinations of attending tubes, but the 6N1P has the sound that makes the music seem real to me. This is very apparent when I use my ultimate test: music I recorded of bands rehearsing or making demos in my then garage apartment during the late 'eighties. These are recordings that I know very well, I know the players, the characteristics of the mics and machine, the instruments, the sound of the room.

I am using the JJ6CA7 right now, I've warmed up to them, and I'm saving my last quad of Winged C EL34s right now. I use RCA 5U4GB "straight" rectifiers, I've found a few pairs that have a particular rich sound I like in this amp. I'm using the stock Raytheon OC2 tubes, and I'm using RCA "straight" OA3 tubes. This is the tube set that gives me the least "hifi" sound and imparts the right tonal balance and detail to most of my recordings, allowing me to revel in some that I haven't been able to before.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 01/27/12 at 15:18:15

Morgan,

I agree with Lon's points, as I am sure you do. Room, cables, speakers the lot all matter. And "most revealing" is pretty revealing! In my case, my most revealing combination would be hard to listen to, and I too find my system/room a little warmish.

But if you tell me what you are using now for tubes, and sort of what level of  "revealing" you are after compared to the sound you have now......

And support it with your basic sense of your sound......like: Bass: Almost nice definition, but out of control, tight but too dense...causes low mid articulation to suffer...would prefer this a pretty serious jump in definition and control. Or whatever. Low Mids: too warm and a bit muddled, would prefer slightly more spaciousness and articulation without losing musically.....or whatever. And describe the upper mids and highs in the same way. Try to get anything that sticks out too... like upper mids a little hard, or soft, or highs could offer better ambient information and sparkle, but are also a little hard or whatever.

With this sort of info, I might be able to more carefully point you somewhere based on how I understand your tubes in my system and going from there.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print