Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/01/14 at 16:55:11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons (Read 28558 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons
Reply #45 - 06/26/11 at 04:04:41

Slick and sweet. Very, very nice. Very nice work Bob. The speakers and axes make a nice collection there, Lon.

« Last Edit: 06/26/11 at 04:07:15 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #46 - 06/26/11 at 04:12:16

I really, really like the red one. They would go with my red Torii. Damn, there is always something cooler than what I have. How much cash do I need to scrape together? Anybody want to buy a Honda CBX or a BSA Goldstar?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/26/11 at 04:23:46

Donnie, I thought about you when I saw that red one. In the right room, that could be something stunning. Fit and finish on both look superb.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #48 - 06/26/11 at 04:56:26

Donnie, they are excellent speakers. I hope you get to hear a pair one day.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #49 - 07/02/11 at 16:44:58

Okay, later today I think I'm going to put the IT Radials/HR-1s back in the system. I feel that the ERRs are broken in and showing themselves to be a fantastic room-filling speaker. Man, I've rarely had the quality sound I've enjoyed this week. Kudos to Bob and Steve, and don't hesitate to buy a pair.

The bass has filled in and it's quick and full and the detail on bass guitar and bass violin and bass drum skins and heads is just luscious. The treble had been pretty much right THERE from the start because they had been broken in by Bob.

I had a long wait for these speakers, and they're worth the wait. I'll soon find out what they do in the bedroom. I think they'll be even better suited for that room than the RL2s or the IT/HR-1s. We'll soon find out.

The other thing that has been a component in this thread and this review is. . . the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Wow. What a product. I am sorry I didn't address my Power Plant issues before. Yes, I was getting great sound with the Tripplite isolation transformers and the PS Audio Duet power centers. But. . . the Premier has taken every thing clearly to the next level. I now really know what my system is capable of.

In my case it may be that my house power is particularly dirty. The Premier has readouts which show input voltage and input THD in the power. I show fluctuations throughout the day and week of between 118 and 125 volts coming in. I also show THD of these volts of between 4.1 and 6.0 THD. According to what I see others posting this is HIGH. So perhaps that is why there is such a profound transformation of my system. But there is, regardless. Everything is better. There is a quieter background which allows a clearer and more dynamic sound. I can't tell you how transformed some recordings are. There's bass drums in Prince recordings that have become more vivid and pronounced. The gap between "live" and "recorded" has been a bit narrowed. I am very very pleased with this product. It's even more profound than placing a CSP2 in front of one of the Decware amps, which I am here to tell you is a marked improvement every time I've done it.  I regret spending the money on the Premier. . . I regret that I hadn't done it before, instead of now. I think this is worth a try in any system. I'm as excited about this as I am about all my Decware components because it shows me yet again just how fabulous each and every one of them are.

« Last Edit: 07/02/11 at 16:51:43 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 07/02/11 at 17:54:40

Lon, your post is very timely. My Premier arrived yesterday, and despite the carping from some sectors about Chinese production quality, it is a handsome unit, that not only feels robust due its weight/volume ratio—those big-a$$ toroidal transformers will do that, just like with my Transcendent Balanced Power Supply—but has excellent fit and finish. I cannot discern that it is a B-stock from appearance. I immediately decided to order another. Alas, they are no longer available from MD.  

I plan to test both my BPS and the Monster AVS-2000 I have been using for years by plugging the PPP into them and measuring the THD on the power. Additionally, I have ordered a PS Audio Soloist Premier to replace the mains receptacle in my living room. I also picked up a couple of their Noise Harvesters after reading some positive reviews. Good price on fleabay.

Your points about the improvement of your sonics echo exactly what Steve writes about in every single user manual, and in several papers.

« Last Edit: 07/03/11 at 01:13:00 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #51 - 07/03/11 at 03:09:34

Greg, be sure to let us know your findings!

Okay, I really surprised myself. Shortly after my last post I exchanged the locations of the ERRs and the HR-1s.

What was surprising was I immediately missed the ERRs. I listened all afternoon and til an hour ago to the HR-1s. Fantastic speakers. So detailed and musical. But. . .well. . . I find that at this time, in the main system, I am preferring the warmer, larger sound from the ERRs. There's a certain precision and a certain type of spaciousness from the HR-1s that the ERRs can't do, but there's also a more dynamic sound, a more punchy low bass that the ERRs provide the HR-1s don't. And that has been what sold me so far. I think that the real reason is the height of the speaker. having the tweeter about the height of the midrange driver on the HR-1s seems to make the difference. The tweeters on the HR-1 are thus higher by a good bit and that impacts the sound a lot. And having the more fully exposed upward firing radial driver also shapes the sound. And I just plain love the sound.

It's great to have tow wonderful options, as I do with Redbook playback from my SCD-XA5400ES playback and ZDAC-1 playback. I can switch back and forth and either way I have great sound.

Kudos kudos kudos Bob and Steve. This just proves I love the Radial sound in its purest form, and the ERRs are the best example yet from the company of that sound. I'm a happy happy camper! Can't wait to hear what the grilles will do for the speakers.

« Last Edit: 07/03/11 at 03:43:45 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 07/03/11 at 03:52:25

Love reading that enthusiasm, Lon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 07/10/11 at 15:10:56

Another week has gone by.

I love these speakers. Can't wait to have the grilles. I've joined at last the ranks of owners and enjoyers of the ULTIMATE Radial speaker!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 07/10/11 at 16:32:30

That sounds sweet Lon. Looks like mine will be shipping this week. All three pairs could show up at the same time. Good thing. I was debating whether even to connect the Torii to the Orb Audio speakers as a way to begin the break-in process. Would prefer not to.

IP Logged
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 07/24/11 at 20:26:46

Lon,

Another two weeks have gone by.  How do things stand now?  Thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #56 - 07/24/11 at 21:42:14

Hey amigo,

In the last two weeks the PS Audio Power Plant Premier has been in the system and transformed it in a good way. I've been futzing with things more than I generally do as a result. And I found some SC series power cords from PS Audio at prices I couldn't resist (a Plus and a Premier) and I've added those to the system. I already had a Premier on the Torii and I put one on the CSP2 and the Plus on the ZDAC-1. Wow, these are excellent, and once broken in the sound is really amazing. Open and deep. Different than the Decware cords, I still like those and have them on the source components. But these expensive PS Audio cords are something else. My system has taken on a real solidity it lacked before, the cords help out the Power Plant Premier a lot, transferring the benefits.

The ERRs are allowing me to hear everything, any change I make in a tube or a cord or an interconnect. It's a bit maddening sometimes, especially when things are breaking in, but it's ultimately a great benefit. The IT Radials/HR-1 are also transparent and show me everything, but there's a certain spaciousness to the sound of the ERRs that I respond to with gusto. I don't have the grilles yet, it will be interesting to see how they effect the sound.

I'm very very happy. Right now I think it's time to save up or move money around over the next months towards a really great digital front end. I've been reading reviews of the PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport and DAC combo that are very intriguing. My system I bet would really drink that combo in and stream out great sound. I've got to get busy and see whether I'll have enough money to score one of those in the near future, or something like it. I now feel that my sources are the weakest link, it couldn't be the Torii or the ERRs or the cabling I have. Smiley  It sounds so good, but somehow I know that with better sources it could be even more fantastic.

« Last Edit: 07/24/11 at 21:50:17 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 07/25/11 at 16:48:51

Lon, keep us apprised of your digital front end explorations. The Perfect Wave series is really good stuff, but there are so many great options out there. I would encourage you to consider a true computer server. The folks at Computer Audiophile are full of great resources. CA's DIY "pocket server" is very intriguing.

Thanks for the recommendation on the PS Audio power cords; saw that a couple were "sale pending" on Audiogon, and wondered if hat was you. Wink Prices for those are all over the map, but watch out for the ripoffs and knockoffs.

« Last Edit: 07/25/11 at 17:06:10 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #58 - 07/25/11 at 17:34:29

Agree about watching for knockoffs. I got taken once, use the cord as a guitar amp cord. Delivers lots of juice but doesn't sound as it should.

I think I'm going to go with the Perfect Wave combo in the near future. I HAVE tried a music server setup. This spring I gave a room free of rent to a friend of mine who moved to Austin three years ago (to a room in my house), after six months got out of here, then never quite took off here in town, didn't find permanent work, was back in my home for about four months, and moved to California.

He's a digital audio engineer. He has sold his entire cd collection over the last few years and moved it all into digital files and went totally computer based. (Doesn't seem ethical to me to sell the discs and keep the music, but he downloads stuff every day off the net, he seems to think music should be free. And he's a wannabe musician who would kill to be paid for a gig or a song. Go figure.)

He insisted on showing me on my system how and what it could be. Set me up, using his computer as the server, it's tricked out for audio purposes. I/we listened that way about three days.

Well. . . I was pretty under-whelmed. At best it sounded almost as good as my Sony SCD-XA5400ES or BDP-S5000ES feeding the ZDAC-1.  It didn't sound better to me at any point. And I didn't enjoy the process or using the computer for music. It's not for me. At least not now. I have about 15.000 recordings and I love the filing of them, the handling of them, how they feel and sound. Maybe one day I'll go there, but I really don't have a desire to. The appeal to the PS Audio units is they could be used as the nerve center of just such a system if I choose to, and they are the ultimately useful nerve center for my disc players. They can be non oversampling or you can choose sampling rates, you can invert polarity, it uses i2S via HDMI, it's really something. There's some money that was my wife's that I have to change over to my name, there's personal reasons why I haven't gone for it but I could really use the money now and I'm probably going to go for it. If I do I may buy "the last digital front end" (yeah right) I'll ever buy, whatever that is. I'm sort of using that as an incentive to get me to go through the giant pain to get my hands on the money.  We'll see.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of flexibility and benefit in going computer -based, but I'm not ready for that yet. I'm pretty locked in. I'm so happy with my system right now that I sort of want to get the best source for me and then spend less time on line looking at audio stuff, reading about audio stuff, talking about audio stuff, and go find some meaningful work. Get myself a life! Smiley

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 07/25/11 at 18:53:38

Makes sense. I like the Perfect Wave stuff a lot. Very, very good stuff. As you know, you and I sit on different sides of this fence. I like the amorphous nature of having all my files on the computer and interacting there. I like scrolling through thousands of cuts, "flipping" through album art on my iPad or iPhone, random shuffle play. I could still see doing the Perfect Wave Transport, but I don't think the DAC is the one for me. I love my modded PS Audio DAC. it is very nice, and have had little desire to replace it, but will have to add a new DAC to the home system eventually, when I bring the Synology Disk Station on line with the new system. It does very well so far as a music server, but it will take some more listening to decide whether the Oppo will be adequate as the front end for that server. I should re-phrase that. So far, the Oppo sounds good as an audio front end, and its network flexibility is quite excellent. In some ways, it is a poor man's PW Transport+DAC. But it is not the long-term answer. DACs will get better, and whether I use a Mac mini, or an Auraliti or a CAPS server, I will want a separate music server and front end.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print