Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/22/14 at 14:27:06

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons (Read 32087 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons
Reply #30 - 06/18/11 at 17:39:38

Save your happiness for when I can convince her to retire, again. Smiley  She retired and was asked to come back to work at the same position. I see so little of her. . . I want to have more time with her. Maybe when the term of the chief is over. . . in five years or so. Man . . . that's a long time to wait.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 06/18/11 at 17:46:16

Gotta take what we can get, man, seize it when it comes around. We have both had reason to learn that.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 06/18/11 at 17:51:45

Absolutely. And my gal has been a close friend for about 27 years. She's always in my heart.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 06/24/11 at 21:59:11

Well, it's been like six days since I posted. Been doing a lot of listening.

I've decided that just like with the HR1/IT Radial, the ERR works best in my room sitting flat on its bottom, no Herbie Audio Fat Glides, no IsoBalls, just sitting on the carpet. It may have to do with my height seated and tweeter height. Not sure. But that's definitely where I get the tonal balance natural.

The speakers have opened up more and I've played around with moving the components in my system around, moving power cords around, etc. Getting some great sound. I am starting to miss my HR1/IT Radials. . . even as the ERR improve I still feel the other speakers give me just a more refined and full sound, as they should. I'm hanging in with the ERRs. . . they sure do sound great. I'm curious to hear what they sound like with the grilles, and I'm also reticent to move them back into the bedroom without them, it's tight quarters in there and I don't want any accidents!

Yesterday one of my PS Audio Duet power center's MOV unit gave out.  While I wait for another, I moved things around so that my Torii and CSP2 are both plugged directly into the larger of my isolation transformers and the source components are connected to the functioning Duet plugged into the other isolation transformer. A bit wilder and woolier sound as a result, which I'm not warming to. I got weak and ordered something I've wanted for a while, a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. . . . Music Direct had a B Stock for less than half the original list price and that should be here tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing what that will do for my setup. As a bonus, my bedroom system will improve with former power components from this system. . . .

My one beef so far with the ERR is that though the bass is tight and sweet. . . there just doesn't seem to be the impact and depth to it that I get from the HR1/IT Radials, and I miss that. . . .

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 06/24/11 at 22:47:13

Lon, thanks for the detailed update. That PS Audio Power Plant is on my list as well. At one time, Upscale had a pretty good price on new units. B stock makes a lot of sense for something like that.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 06/24/11 at 23:37:35

Lon, I think you're a bad influence on me. I just ordered that same B stock PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 06/25/11 at 05:25:15

Sorry about that my friend.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 06/25/11 at 14:41:57

Over at Head-Fi, they have a standard greeting:
Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry for your wallet.

All in, from preamps through speakers, including cables, I am coming in slightly hot on the budget. And only from a timing perspective. I had originally expected that, over time, I might have to spend way more to get the sound I wanted. Until I heard the Taboo.

« Last Edit: 06/25/11 at 16:49:20 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #38 - 06/25/11 at 17:54:10

Well, in a way you are very fortunate that you've in one fell swoop corralled the best that Decware has to offer, and that's among the very best the world has to offer.

You're going to be glued to your seat, happy as a clam.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 06/25/11 at 19:12:44

I really hate the buy and sell merry-go-round. I love trying out gear, but the endless "quest state," that has an underlying tone of dissatisfaction, even unhappiness, detracts from the music. All hobbies suffer from this problem, but I think audio is even worse because the goal of reproduction of music is a quest for incorporeal perfection. Right now, it seems technology still has a horizon on its ability to recreate a live performance. So, we pursue this goal of the most perfect facsimile.

Living for 15 years in mid-fi land, and then returning to critical listening first through headphones, afforded me the luxury of deciding what facsimile to "settle for." ironically, despite all the technological change over the last couple of decades, the facsimile "types" haven't changed much. Although the value of simplicity seems to have had a renaissance, e.g., SET amps and full-range drivers, and the technological execution of everything is better than ever, the types of "reanimating life" are still recognizable. I expect the ERRs to remind me of my Ohm Walsh speakers. Just better, I hope. Do I expect them to sound like the $40,000 Orgasmatron? Meh, prolly not. But if they get me 90-95% of the way there, I will be a happy camper for a long time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 06/25/11 at 21:00:23

I'm with you, though I did enjoy the journey, now I just want to settle into the music and video of my collection and listen and watch and enjoy and not "tweak" and seek.

I was pretty much there . . . The ERRs finally arriving sparked another round of tweaking and reconfiguring to best adapt them to the system. And in the process one of the Duets died, and I found that I could not live with just one Duet in the system as comfortably as I had with two.  As it will take me a few weeks to get a replacement MOV via PS Audio, I sprang for the Power Plant Premier which arrived a few hours ago.

And which is another kettle of fish to stir, season and taste. It's not a subtle difference to the sound with the Premier in the system. Oy vey, back to square one of setting up and . . . well it's fun for now. This is quite a machine. Like my old P300, but on steroids. It has taken an edginess out of my treble that I am glad to have gone, and it has given my system an even blacker background to jump out of and startle me.

I'm almost ready to put the HR1/IT Radials back in. I think I prefer them to the ERRs by a small margin, and I'm eager to hear what they sound like with the Premier in the system now.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 06/25/11 at 21:13:26

Looking forward to your impressions. Do you have any pics of your HR1/IT Radials?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #42 - 06/25/11 at 22:05:00

I don't take photographs, I'm no good at it. I have some stock photos Bob sent me when I bought them, I'll look them up.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #43 - 06/26/11 at 03:51:37

Lon's pair is the one on the left....I hope this works

« Last Edit: 06/26/11 at 03:52:38 by ZYGI »  

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #44 - 06/26/11 at 03:58:09

Bob, worked, thanks!

I'm going to try to attach one I found on the computer that I took really to showcase my "Jazz" Fender axes. The system doesn't look like that any longer, the TV is on its own stand, etc. and the ITs are not in "listening position."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print