Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 02:03:16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons (Read 31055 times)
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons
Reply #15 - 06/16/11 at 17:00:19

Lon,

Your spikes will come with the grills, We package them with the grills as we haven't figured out a safe place to put them in with the speakers. As you saw the only empty space in the boxes was around the drivers, yeah I can see a spike going through the cone.

Also don't forget the tweeter bracket is bendable, so you can adjust for height to your listening position. Don't just bend it by pushing on the tweeter itself, if you are going back with it, place your two middle fingers behind the bracket while pushing against your fingers with your thumbs just above. Middle finges would be placed right where it screws to the driver. This puts no strain on the screws yet can allow you to bend it quite easily.

The bass comments surprise me, we listened to your speakers with Gatto Barbieri's "Straight Into The Sunrise" and they were pretty much spot on with the HR-1's with the 1's able to go lower.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 06/16/11 at 17:12:31

Well, it is what it is bass wise. This room and this crooked little house has always been problematic with bass. There's weird things going on, with its wood paneled rooms, carpet over hardwood floor on pier and beam foundation, and about eighty years old now. I'll find just the right spot for the bass that doesn't mess with the other properties yet. And it'll open up a bit more. Maybe I'm just so accustomed to that "little bit lower" and maybe there's a lower mid-range that's not there yet that I'm missing. These ERRs are sounding better by the hour.

I'll check out the spikes when they arrive. Should be fun.

« Last Edit: 06/16/11 at 18:29:34 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 06/17/11 at 21:54:43

I spent most of the day watching The Tudors Season 2, and not paying attention to the audio as much as when I'm playing cds and reading etc.

This afternoon I put in one of my favorite concert dvds, and it sounds fantastic!

Probably could  be a touch more bass but everything else is just right. The excellent recording is very well served. The acoustics of the church seem to be transported by that one microphone (I think) and right into my living room. I'm very impressed. The beautiful sound of the beautiful guitars on this (especially Ryan Adams' Gibson ES 355 Stereo ("Peanut") and that old Gretsch of Michael Timmons) is just clear as a bell, and the vocals are very well presented.

« Last Edit: 06/17/11 at 22:06:15 by Lon »  

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/17/11 at 21:56:19

Sounds sweet Lon. And I will have to check out that disc.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 06/17/11 at 22:07:56

Oh hell yeah. It comes in a cd/dvd package and it's pretty easy to find cheap usually. I like it better than the original Trinity Sessions cd. The guests (Ryan Adams, Natalie Merchant and Vic Chesnutt) make it special. Really precise slow groove based playing, and killer sound. Interesting visually as well.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/17/11 at 22:08:51

Found it. Ordered it. You are correct; not expensive.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 06/17/11 at 23:54:41

Okay, something's happened to the ERRs. They're sounding really full and deep. I first noticed it afther the Prince "New Power Soul" cd was started and when I put this Monk on it made me grab my bass violin and plunk along. I did okay for a few songs, but my stamina isn't there; I have to not neglect this instrument!  I gave up for now after two songs.

Okay, I made two changes. I got a package in from Herbie's Audio Lab and put IsoCup lampblack balls under all four corners of the ERRs. Heck they're only like 59 cents and postage. And I had ordered more baby booties because when I moved my maple platform and CSP2 and ZDAC-1 to the shelf on my redwood tv stand, I didn't have room to put the CSP2 on anything but baby booties, four. I added four more to the CSP2.

Either one or the other or both really brought out the bass response in the room. Not complaining, instead I'm grooving!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/18/11 at 00:32:09

Lon, that sounds like too much fun! So, did the filling out of bass happen before you put the lampblack balls under the ERRs, or after?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 06/18/11 at 00:40:46

After.

I know how to check if it was the balls or the booties. Smiley Back in a few.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 06/18/11 at 00:44:23

Okay. . . oddly enough I think it was the lampblack balls predominantly. I ran the Monk cd through my Sony BDP-S5000ES, which feeds both into the ZDAC-1 then the CSP2 and directly into the amp via analog outs, and it wasn't thinner sounding either way.

Odd. Maybe the ERRs just. .  . "turned a page." I don't think that changing footer balls from Herbie would make that much difference. I do feel they make a little bit of difference in the IsoCups. and I was using two different types (same two) under each speaker, and now using one. I don't know. I'm entering into audiophile twilight zone. Time to go meet my gal for dinner!

« Last Edit: 06/18/11 at 00:46:25 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/18/11 at 03:18:26

Thanks Lon. Enjoy dinner. Lampblack balls would have to be the most cost-effective speaker feet ever!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 06/18/11 at 15:02:27

Dinner didn't happen. I couldn't pry her away from work. She stayed til 1. I did visit her there with a snack for her.

I think the lampblack balls make a nice isolator, the ball touches the floor at one point and the speaker at another, and the material is pretty neutral. I think the its possible however the change was more accurately attributed to the speaker cones loosening up a bit after a few days of use.

I've tried yet another speaker positioning in the room. Asymetrical, but my room is asymetricaly set up as far as furnisihings. A dryer sound, but perhaps a more accurate sound, a bigger sound. These speakers are fun to play around with, they are so responsive to both source material and the room.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/18/11 at 16:49:20

Hard work on a Friday night. That's dedication!

Do the balls stay put on hardwood floors? I have more IsoCups coming for my Toriis, and it might make sense to add a bunch of the balls in to the order, since they are so cheap.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 06/18/11 at 17:06:47

I would think they would, though I have carpet over my hardwood floors so haven't tried them. But with the weight of the speakers, well, shouldn't move.

My gal is the office manager of the state Supreme Court, and her working life IS her life for the most part. And she finally got a great assistant after years of having a very shitty one . . . but she's out on maternity leave, halfway through, six more weeks of leave. My gal is almost going crazy but she can't let things just 'lie". . . she has to have it all done and done perfectly. When she's gotten help she's had to redo most of it so she does most of it herself. When your boss is the Chief Justice (though in a real sense all nine judges are her bosses) you've got a complex job.

She totally amazes me. She's the most focused and dedicated person I know. And . . . the most loving and kind. One of a kind, really.

Everything is sounding nice today. I love the Radial sound!

« Last Edit: 06/18/11 at 17:09:22 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 06/18/11 at 17:23:09

Lucky man. Happy for you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print