Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/31/14 at 23:01:42

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New comments from Jeff of Tone Audio (Read 7545 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: New comments from Jeff of Tone Audio
Reply #30 - 08/14/11 at 03:11:29

:) It just might at that.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 08/14/11 at 03:56:34

Gopher,

I'm glad my questions for Jeff on AC  got you to try the TORII.

I appreciate your bump. Congrats on selling the Shindo so fast.

Here's something to try under the TORII:

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/acoustic-treatment/mig-mechanical-interface-g...

Lon,

They work great under the PWD/PWT too.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #32 - 08/14/11 at 04:22:03

Kana, what are these mig feet made out of? The link didn't give me much info of what they are made of.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 08/14/11 at 06:26:30

Donnie,

They're forged in the USA from proprietary carbon steel and later case-hardened with a torch.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 08/14/11 at 13:47:01

Interesting. Probably pretty expensive. Right now I'm very happy with the Herbie's Audio Lab IsoCup supports.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 08/14/11 at 21:46:24

$150. for a set of three.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 08/14/11 at 22:30:13

Thanks.

IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #37 - 08/18/11 at 03:30:41

Will,

I find it generally pleasant and I do stand by the purchase.  It is a finicky amp--not in operation but in fine tuning.  I have a few local audio buddies I meet up with and do gear shoot outs in foreign rigs and I've noted more than with other amps that the Torii REALLY does get tuned in for a specific system both by tube selection and bass/treble settings

After taking the Torii on a play date it takes me like  a week to get it sounding 'right' again--I still don't have my bass re-dialed in, but I'm not very good or enthusiastic about tweaking.  I wish the bass/treble pots had scores to know where they are at.

It isn't an all out world beater, but that doesn't stop it from kicking tush.  I've only heard one other amp in the sub $5k range which I MIGHT prefer, but it would need a very good active pre while the Torii seems almost better left to itself.  Also, I bet with additional tube rolling I could get some more emotional pull going on.  I have a nagging suspicion I should try other el34/6ca7s.

« Last Edit: 08/18/11 at 03:32:10 by Gopher »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 08/18/11 at 06:04:28

Gopher,

Yes I think of the Torii as sort of like a thoroughbred horse, and is so transparent and clarified that we have to tune it just so to make it totally sing in our particular settings. Seems a lot of gear makers try to smooth out that very direct transparency, making the amp sweeter and and more easily adaptable. Sort of a different goal, and your experience proves how revealing the amp is but also how adaptable it is to to different gear and rooms with tuning. My take anyway. I totally agree with you that the treble and bass pots are not all that easy to work with though. Pretty difficult to make very fine adjustments with those stiff little knobs.

I am trying the JJ 6CA7s now and will report how they work for me after they get burnt in.

Aren't there little score marks on the top of the bass and treble knobs? I always do it by feel/sound as my amp is up and not easily visible in the back, but I thought I remembered minor scores. If so it would seem you could mark the sweet spots with a thinly cut piece of electrical tape placed just so on the white amp face. May be hard to get exactly perfect by sight, but close anyway.

What is your tube set at the moment?

Good Luck!

Will

« Last Edit: 08/18/11 at 06:06:45 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #39 - 08/18/11 at 14:50:57

Will,

I'm not home now, but to the best of my recollection they are just thin twist knobs which spin more than 360 degrees and have no markings/hatch marks to make retaining settings easy.  I did see a thread in the preamp section of someone who got some knobs from Radioshack to place over them which allowed them to better monitor where the settings are.

My current tube compliment is as follows:
Black Treasure 6CA7s
National 7DJ8s
RCA 5u4g (1950s)
unlabeled OA3 & VR150s.  

I also own, but haven't used Winged C el34s since day 2--maybe I'll revisit them tonight.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 08/18/11 at 15:58:42

I am also thinking of putting some directional or marked knobs on the trim pots, so I at least have some point of reference on the settings. Much as I like the appearance of the gold knobs on my amps, that is why I replaced them with black chicken beaks on my amps and kept the cream chicken beaks on the Ultra. Having a visual reference point is very useful.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 08/18/11 at 16:17:28

Mine stop on each end of the turn, so are likely not greater than 360 but they are little and stiffish. If anyone identifies a nice knob that fits, please let us know. I think just having something bigger in diameter would make fine adjustments much easier.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 08/18/11 at 16:51:41

Will, I confirmed this morning that the black chicken beak knobs I ordered from Surplus Sales of Nebraska, fit the trim pots snugly—i.e., they way they should—so that the set screw merely snug them down. They have many other choices, and their service is excellent.

« Last Edit: 08/18/11 at 17:24:54 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 08/18/11 at 17:19:37

Great Greg. Thanks.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 08/18/11 at 18:04:14

Quote:

Those sure are pretty, and I give them points for enthusiasm. I assume the $150 price—which the website says is for a set of 3—means three MiGs, enough for one component? A tad pricey, but not outrageous. I may try a set, though, like Lon, I am very happy with my Herbie's IsoCups.

« Last Edit: 08/18/11 at 18:39:43 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print