Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/23/14 at 19:31:21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New comments from Jeff of Tone Audio (Read 7462 times)
mac5u
Seasoned Member

Re: New comments from Jeff of Tone Audio
Reply #15 - 08/11/11 at 00:03:42

Comments from the TONEAudio Blog -- The Decware Zen Torii is simply amazing

"While the full review will be in issue 40, suffice to say that this is one of the most musically engaging amplifiers Iíve had the pleasure to experience.  If youíve ever spent time with a great SET and thought ďIf this only had 2-3 times the power, I could live with it,Ē your ship has arrived. "

"These are 25 of the best watts you will find anywhere, at any price.  "

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/11/11 at 00:06:06

Outstanding. Thanks for sharing that Mike. As I sit here listening to mine, I could not agree more. Link here.

« Last Edit: 08/11/11 at 00:11:19 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/11/11 at 00:23:58

The blog post is longer than I expected. I enjoyed this quote:
Quote:
Digging further in the well written and illustrated owners manual reveals that this amplifier is a tube rollersí delight, with a number of options available.† So far, weíve stuck with the stock tubes, but when the rainy winter season hits the Pacific Northwest again, it will be time for some experimenting.† Iíve been stockpiling a few different types of EL34′s, some variations on the 5U4 rectifiers and even a couple of different voltage regulators.† If for no other reason, the blue glow of a pair of OB3′s looks like fun.

In part, because I also like the blue glow of the 0B3 voltage regulators. So happens that their bass also suits me well.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 08/11/11 at 00:34:31

I like the blue glow of the OB3, but the sound of the OA3 more.

Great comments! I'm going to link to them on the Hoffman forum thread.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/11/11 at 00:34:32

Of course, for a mere $45,000 USD, you could have a pair of these. I think I will pass. I enjoyed a Krell ages ago, but not that much. Wink

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/11/11 at 00:35:28

Good move Lon. I expect this review to have significant ripples.

IP Logged
dpod4
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 08/12/11 at 03:55:21

For those of you who read TONEAudio or know Jeff, he has heard just about everything and when he endorses something as high performance, it's the real deal -- he is unlike a lot of reviewers who who only review stuff from manufacturers who take ads out in their magazines.   TONEAudio is not afraid to call a spade a spade, for good or for bad.

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/12/11 at 20:05:44

I don't think the TONEAudio review will have a big effect on TORII sales.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/12/11 at 20:31:54

Kana, you may well be right (I can think of some reasons why I might even agree), but I would be curious as to your thinking.

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 08/12/11 at 20:43:08

PR,

Since Tone Audio's positive comments have surfaced there hasn't been a big increase in TORII sales.

His positve comments and word of the price increase didn't help me sell
my amp.

I think Tone Audio has wonderful pictures, but IMO, it's just another
subjective internet review site that doesn't publish any measurements.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 08/12/11 at 21:31:08

Fair point, though I think it is a very premature assessment. I suspect that someone schooled in Marketing would advise that we haven't even yet seen the "new news" gain traction yet.

The market for these products is probably not huge, and even enthusiasm like that expressed by Tone isn't going to move the needle overnight. So, I think the anecdotal "evidence" so faróno significant uptick in sales, and the difficulty of your re-sellódon't really mean much at this stage.

I still believe that reviews like this, in publications with growing credibility (whether deserved or not), overlaid on the incremental small growth rate of the specialty hi-fi market, etc., the importance of Internet-based word-of-mouth, etc., will eventually lead to a significantly improved market penetration for Decware.

My own experience is interesting. I have been aware of Decware for over two years, having run across their portable headphone amp first over at Head-Fi. But even so, it took more than a year before I bought my first piece, and at that, it was the Taboo, not the portable amp. The rest of my buying spree only occurred because I made a decision to renovate my HT. Had my timing been a little different, I might have bought your amp, but again, the current market itself remains fairly small. I, and almost every other person on the Amp Waiting List is the sort of customer willing to wait months for a handmade, often not-previously-heard, completely custom product. There are generally not millions of such customers running around. If there were, I would think that an announced review like the Tone Audio one would have a much bigger pool in which to make a splash.

When all is said and done, I think a Torii has more in common with a custom pacemaker than it does an iPad. The market in the former is by definition harder to impact.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 08/12/11 at 23:00:58

I think it's way too early to analyze the sales results possible from the TONEAudio review (which isn't even out yet, just some comments on a blog and bulletin board or two).

I think it's interesting that Steve is building new "factory" space. With a waiting list as he has right now it's not hard to see why.

I'm hopeful for Decware's future. When I think of the size of the company and it's product line when I bought my first product, Zen amp #27, and the state of the company now, it's definitely a "managed success" story. I hope it has more decades of managed success.

Sorry that you had to send the amp back kana, both that it didn't fit your needs, and that you didn't get to send it along to someone else.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/13/11 at 22:44:01

Lon,

I'm not upset about returning the amp for a refund, I took a chance and it didn't work out.

Did you notice that quotes from the Tone Audio blog are now in the
TORII's production information? †

Wonder if Issue 40 will have a Decware ad.

IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #28 - 08/14/11 at 01:12:21

Other's feedback had piqued my interest in the Torii, but it is Tone's vague, albeit positive, forum musings (particularly on Audio Circle) cemented the deal for me and I made the resolution to buy based on it.

Kana,

I tried to bump your thread on AC as I know how great the amp is and think its absolutely worth the price, but I can see how in some peoples mind 'pre-owned is pre-owned' and they'd want to see more of a discount over new.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 08/14/11 at 03:03:40

Hey Gopher, Interesting that Tone got you over the edge in your decision to try a Torii. I wonder what your impressions are now that you have had the amp a while. Have you arrived at tubes you like.... pre/buffer? Are you glad you got the Torii. Sort of? Ecstatic? Does it help you get lost in the music?

Cool

« Last Edit: 08/14/11 at 03:05:10 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print