Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/23/14 at 00:54:43

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Question About Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z Tubes (Read 25322 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Question About Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z Tubes
Reply #75 - 07/10/11 at 03:12:39

RR, I think you are spot on that this is one way to interpret the Grant Fidelity assessment of the Shuguang tubes. Like buying old Jags; cars were wonderful to drive, so long as you could drive them.  Reminds me of an old cartoon that showed a dealer, and a buyer discussing price, and the dealer says something like: "And here is our Platinum Premiere Package; it includes a stand-by mechanic."

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 07/10/11 at 03:30:20

PR,

Did your first TORII show up yet?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 07/10/11 at 03:36:37

Not yet. Due here Monday, July 11.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 07/10/11 at 04:44:41

7/11, a lucky day!

Looking forward to your feedback.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 07/14/11 at 18:58:25

Well, I was out sick a couple of days, so didn't have a chance to set up my Torii for its burn-in cycle. But it is going now. 5 hours on and off.  I have an iPod set up to shuffle-repeat through its entire library, with the Torii set on a heavy duty timer cycled every 5 hours. That way, it should only take the V-caps about two months to settle in. Wink Actually, it should take less than that, because I will do the cycling thing only for about a week, before I bring it home. The Radials are due here Tuesday, and Sarah just told me the Ultra is shipping out today.

Such a lovely piece of equipment. I am thinking of changing my handle to Valve Drunk. That way, you guys can call me VD in messages.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 07/14/11 at 19:33:36

VD, here is your little man Smiley

« Last Edit: 07/14/11 at 20:05:05 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 07/15/11 at 18:06:26

LOL! What, me worry?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #82 - 08/30/11 at 05:38:06

PR, what is the verdict on the Treasures? Or I should search for it in another thread first? I'll post this first...... .

Also, big price difference between goodcomponents.com and grantfidelity? I suppose the Grade A at grant vs. what goodcomp. carries? I don't know? The fancy box pretty, or paper box scares me too from goodcomponent. I don't have a tube tester.... . Steve does, so I will buy them from him.....if you guys that use them think they are worth it too......like the reviewers.  

Stone of Tone

« Last Edit: 08/30/11 at 05:59:56 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 08/30/11 at 10:02:55

SOT, I absolutely love the SGT 6CA7-Z tubes. I have listened to the stock JJ EL-34 and I have the JJ 6CA7 as well. I have some NOS Mullards and Svetlanas also, but I haven't listened to them. I am no fan of Chinese tubes, nor do I believe that simply because they are Chinese, they cannot be good. I ordered two matched quads from Grant, highest rating. I ordered a third quad from a fleabay seller at half the price as the Grants, for backup, but have not listened to them; they are slightly different in appearance only on the bases; the third quad was not shipped in the luxury box, but it arrived safely. The Grants tested as billed on my B&K, and so did the third quad. Bearing in mind that my Toriis (with V-caps) are still breaking in, so there is every reason to believe that their sound is still evolving, here is a summary of what I hear (I am not a big long review writer):

1. Sublime liquidity, a smoothness that is clear and deep.
2. Layers of complexity, which in combination with the depth and detail, amazing detail, produces a deep, wide, tall soundstage.
3. Soft highs, but not lacking air or detail around instruments and voices.
4. Well-controlled taught bass.
5. Very quick transients, with what seems like natural decay.

Now, maybe a year from now, any tube will sound like this in this amazing amp. Could be, but the JJs do not sound this thorough, this complete, not yet anyway. For now, I am delighted.  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #84 - 08/30/11 at 14:40:46

Thanks PR, after I have spent some time with my Torii and the JJ's shipped with/break in of Amp as well......... .  I will have to order Quad's of the highest rating. The curiousity over the next 6 months to a year will itch at me in a good way. I can rationalize the Treasures, because I bought the Torii before the price increase. Thanks again, Stone of Tone.

PS-where do I find that list of where my Torii is in the Que (I could call)? I remember seeing one for Speakers one time.......... . I'll check the Blog or Whats New Tabs.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 08/30/11 at 18:56:05

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #86 - 08/31/11 at 01:41:33

I see you posted the amplifier waiting list... it seems no mater how fast we try to build them the list continues to grow.  That's ok, I've learned a couple things in the past 15 years and the first is that you don't rush a good thing.  We can build and ship between 2 and 4 a week if that's all we build.  There are another 50 amps of different models that you don't see.   With the small addition to the shop and another 6 months of training we can get another full time guy or two and get product back down to 3 to 4 weeks.  It's been around 8.5 weeks all summer and shows no signs of changing anytime soon.

On another note, someone with the Treasures tipped me off about JJ's new 6CA7 and it's a winner.  I am now shipping all Zen TORII's with this 6CA7 in place the of EL34's.  Very nice indeed.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 08/31/11 at 02:02:47

Steve, Can you explain what you hear from the Shuguangs compared to the JJ 6CA7?

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #88 - 08/31/11 at 07:13:32

I understand Steve. Your right and you don't rush a good thing. When it arrives it arrives. I told myself I'm not calling Sarah, she has better things to do. Yes, the new 6CA7's........I look forward to hearing them.

Cheers, Stone of Tone.........and nice new addition to the shop! You are busy.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 08/31/11 at 16:26:06

Absolutely. In this line of work, right is preferable to fast.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print