Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/18/14 at 02:31:44

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Question About Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z Tubes (Read 25134 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Question About Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z Tubes
Reply #15 - 06/17/11 at 21:57:26

Will be interesting to hear what Steve might say about them.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/17/11 at 22:06:01

They so cost too much, Lon. You are completely correct. Like great wine, first class to Asia, and mistakes you hope you won't repeat. But man oh man, once in a while, you just have to treat yourself. Shuguangs on top of V-Caps...................[and Steve is selling them, too, of course.]

« Last Edit: 06/17/11 at 22:07:17 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 06/17/11 at 22:16:45

I fully understand. . . I've been treating myself far too much when I should stop. . . bought myself another guitar, a Martin D-15S, was too cheap to pass up and a lovely guitar now only made in the custom line. Love the 15 series, I have the smallest, an 00-15, until now my only acoustic guitar.

My one trepidation is. . . I've never found yet a tube made in China that I really liked, though I've only tried Ruby and Valve Art, but they were disappointing in comparison with US and European tubes. But. .  I'm sure these are awesome. Can't wait to hear reports.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/17/11 at 22:28:08

One of my colleagues is a Conrad-Johnson owner. He thought they looked gorgeous, but said the same thing: "Chinese? Really" I pointed him to the reviews, including this one, which I found quite entertaining [though of a different tube], likewise here and here, and this one, the reviews on the site, the 6 Moons review, etc. And the fact that Steve sells them as an upgrade gave me some comfort I wasn't taking too much of a chance.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 06/17/11 at 22:58:50

I read that review when posted earlier. .. I agree that it's a promising review.

I can't see myself ordering them for some time to come, but who knows, maybe one day! I'll stick with Winged C and Mullard reissues til then,

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/17/11 at 23:09:58

I hear ya!  I've got plenty of much more modestly priced tubes that I am loving on. Right now, I just swapped between the stock SV83s and the cryo'ed military CP15P-EV in my Taboo. At first, I wasn't sure I heard a big difference, but the stock SV83 seem a little more forward with a bit tubbier [though pleasant] bass. I paid $3 apiece for 11 of them from a fellow forum member. Can't beat that with a stick.

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/18/11 at 18:38:51

Pale Rider,

Did you hear the TORII Mk.3 before you ordered two of them with V-Caps?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/18/11 at 19:03:33

Quote:
Did you hear the TORII Mk.3 before you ordered two of them with V-Caps?

kana813, I did not.

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 06/18/11 at 19:50:12

Gee, two V-Cap TORIIs that can't be returned and two sets of Shuguangs, that's a very big leap of faith.

I'm not as confident, so I ordered the stock version. Plus, if I was going to upgrade the caps, I'd rather have Auri-Ts.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 06/18/11 at 20:07:31

That is a big leap of faith. PR has had a Taboo though, and once you have a Zen amp, you believe that another Zen amp could be da bomb.

I think he's going to love the amps, without any doubt.

Hope you both manage to get yours PDQ!

« Last Edit: 06/18/11 at 20:10:28 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/18/11 at 20:25:33

Lon said it. Three things factor into my confidence: (1) the passion and goals/theory of the designer; (2) the enthusiasm of other customers; (3) my experience with the Taboo (which has V-caps), that validated #1 and #2.

So, when Steve offers the V-caps and the Treasures as the only "real" upgrades on the Torii, and his pricing for them is also very reasonable, that speaks persuasively to me. I ordered the former with the amp build, of course, while I ordered the Shuguangs separately after doing more research and knowing I had plenty of time before the Toriis arrive.

As for the Auri-Ts, to each their own; one reason it is a great hobby. But given my confidence in Steve's voicing of the amps, I am comfortable with the V-caps. Plus, while I have plenty of experience soldering and building, I have no desire to open up a Torii and swap caps myself. The V-caps were the only real way to go for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 06/18/11 at 21:10:04

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/18/11 at 21:13:56

Hey Lon, thanks for that link. I had missed that one. I especially enjoyed the recommendation of the "recording issued by Tone-Pearls Records in Ireland: Chopin and Debussy: Piano Music in a Church performed solo by the Hungarian born musician Endre Hegedus." Ordered the DVD of the higher-res files.

« Last Edit: 06/18/11 at 21:29:39 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/18/11 at 23:18:18

Lon, you may be interested in this: based on the rec in one of the reviews (i.e., that the purported grading of STs by some oline retailers is baloney), I decided to order a set of the STs from a Chinese reseller on fleabay. They are much cheaper there. I plan to test them in my B&K when they get here. My own inverse version of dollar cost averaging. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 06/19/11 at 00:12:57

Cool. Keep me posted how they test out, and whether they match well etc.  I did read that in that one review and wonder.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print