Send Topic Print
My ZDAC-1 just died (Read 11741 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: My ZDAC-1 just died
Reply #15 - 09/01/11 at 23:30:11

Allright, I just got back from East Peoria with my ZDAC-1. Unboxed it, damn no power cord! I called Decware and they are shipping me one. I started looking around the house for something that I could use and found one on the back of my wife's Plasma TV. Seeing that she wouldn't be home until 11:30.... ZDAC hooked up and playing right now. Wow it really makes a difference. When I first had it in my system everything was new and I couldn't - didn't know what it was doing. First I must have gained 6-10 db in volume and so much more detail. I could go on like all of the reviewers but I don't know shit and quite truthfuly don't care if I do.
I talked to Steve for 10 -15 minutes, nice guy, seems like someone that I could talk to about a lot things and he would be able to have something interesting to say about whatever I brought up. I didn't keep him long, it looked like he had plenty to do and I didn't want to be a bother.
So anyway I've been able to turn my Torii down from WFO and enjoy some music.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 09/01/11 at 23:55:50

Fantastic! Glad it's back!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 09/02/11 at 00:43:53

Great news! Enjoy!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 09/22/11 at 23:00:33

I am sad to report that my replacment ZDAC-1 has just also died in the same manner that the first one did.This leads me to conclude that the problem must be ME.
The only thing that I can figure is that my computer is hitting the ZDAC with something that isn't right. I can't imagine that two DAC's would die in the same manner without some sort of outside influence.
Both times that this has happened is when I had been playing a file off of my Dell computer, not my usual Gateway. When I unplug the USB cable and switch the ZDAC back over to coax to listen to my Ipod/Wadia combo, nothing plays.
I'm a little depressed right now, I guess that I will start looking for some kind of replacment DAC. I can't imagine that Decware would give me another one to blow up.

« Last Edit: 09/22/11 at 23:17:08 by Donnie »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 09/22/11 at 23:10:41

Donnie, it shouldn't do that. . . I would definitely talk to Steve about it. So sorry to hear this!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 09/22/11 at 23:50:09

Sorry this is up Donnie. I agree with Lon. I would check with Steve.

Have you tried unplugging the USB and then plugging it back in back of the DAC to see if DAC connects to the computer. Or cut off the ZDAC for a while, then power up again, connect the USB, and restart the computer with the DAC plugged in. It may be that the DAC Digital in is somehow confused? Also, once mine stopped working in this way and I went to the audio out on the MAC and found that, for some unknown reason, the DAC and Mac had not hooked up even though they had been playing together the days before. The Mac Audio out was still set on internal audio. I changed it to the USB and all was well. Worth a try anyway.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #21 - 11/20/11 at 00:29:31

I have a interesting development to report.
I had more or less gave up on my ZDAC-1 ever working and had set it aside with plans on eventually sending it back to be fixed. In the interim I had moved my old Onkyo reciever back into the house and was using it as a DAC/preamp.
Last night I was talking to a old buddy and it came up that he didn't have any kind of sound system at all. I thought that it wasn't right for me to have 2 pretty good systems and he to not have anything, so I loaded up his truck with my Onkyo and NHT'S.
I just figured that I could listen to my Torii directly from the analog outputs from my Wadia and be happy with what I had.
Well this evening I looked at the ZDAC just sitting on the shelf and thought "what the hell" and hooked it up. Guess what, it worked! I have no idea of how long it will run or what I need to do to keep it running, but for now I'm pretty happy. Maybe there is something to this Karma stuff.
I still haven't tried hooking up my computer to the ZDAC, that always seemed to be when problems started. I'm pretty sure the computer lets it's Demons loose into the DAC and they run rampant destroying all that is good about a Zen designed circut. I could be wrong about that, you never know what demons are lurking about for.
The difference in soundstage and detail is pretty remarkable. I guess that the Onkyo was OK but this is MUCH better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 11/20/11 at 01:28:29

Yay heavy and a bottle of bread Donnie! Yeah, the ZDAC-1 is an awesome DAC, it's so sad that it's not available any longer. I had to spend many multiples of the price to really be wowed by another DAC (the PS Audio PerfectWave I'm using now). Glad yours is up and running again. Fingers crossed it keeps on working.

« Last Edit: 11/20/11 at 01:29:01 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #23 - 11/20/11 at 02:36:44

OK, I have a question. Do other owners of ZDAC's turn them off when you stop using it? In the past I just left it on, but giving my history maybe I should shut it down when I turn everything else off.
But then I hate to turn off something that is working for the first time in a month. Time will tell.......
I'm still trying to work up the nerve to hook my computer up to it. The bad thing is that I bought it to use with the computer and the Ipod/ Wadia combo was kind of a last minute addition just for convienience's sake.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 11/20/11 at 02:59:18

I always left mine on. I don't do computer audio so I have no experience of it not working with a computer, and it always worked for me. The only times I thought I had a problem was in fact operator error. . . not having the switches in the right configuration but thinking I did. I confess that happened. . . more than twice. (I had the unit facing backwards, which didn't help).

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #25 - 11/20/11 at 04:13:58

I just took the plunge and hooked my computer up to my ZDAC. I played a bunch of different songs through it for a hour or so. I then shut the Winamp player down, unhooked the USB cable from the ZDAC, crossed my fingers flicked the switch to coax and turned on my Ipod. Success!
I'm going to shut it off when I go to bed tonight and hope that it will start up in the morning.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 11/20/11 at 11:52:47

Great! Here's hoping that it keeps on keepin' on!

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #27 - 11/20/11 at 16:18:35

Donnie

I can think of 3 things that might cause your DAC to go bad and then fix itself.

1)  heat.  Fails when hot, runs when cool.  Just got through finding a bad processor in a PC that fails when it hits 92 degrees F.  Runs just fine now (winter) when my room temp is 70 and the processor is around 85, but failed regularly last summer when the room was around 80 and the processor was at 95.  Is your room temp cooler now than it was when the unit was failing?

2)  bad solder joint somewhere.  This would probably make the unit sensitive to vibration.  Move it and it works, move it again and it fails.  A light whack on the side of the unit might cause it to work/fail.

3)  power supply.  Perhaps a capacitor going bad might put the power supply right on the edge where almost anything is possible.  Probably would suspect this last though, after heat and vibration are ruled out.

Dan (met you at Decfest last month)

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #28 - 11/20/11 at 16:56:32

Well it didn't come back up this morning. I shouldn't have shut it off last night.
Thinking back on how it has went down before, I came to the thought that it always failed after the power was shut off. Once the power went out in my 'hood while I was at work and the ZDAC didn't come back up when I got back home. I'm going to experiment with shutting it off and on. If that doesn't work I guess that I will pack it up and send it back to E. Peoria. Damn, I was really liking how it sounded, it added a lot of punch to everything.
At one time I thought that it was something that I or my system was doing that  caused the problem but since then I've stuck another DAC in it's place with no troubles at all. Maybe the third time is the charm.
Dan,
Heat maybe, but it stays a pretty constant temp down here in my bunker, I'm 4' underground and it stays pretty close to 70 all of the time.
I have "Tapped" the DAC several times with no luck. Of course always remember that hitting a inanimate object only hurts yourself, and makes you look a fool to everyone else.
A power supply problem would be over my head, unless you want to design a machine to make it. As far as I can determine, electricity works off of smoke, if you let smoke out of something it never works again. When you go by a powerplant there is always smoke coming out of a chimney, that means excess power is being made. Simple.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 11/20/11 at 18:26:09

Hey I thought there were little thunderstorms in all the components making lightning? Smiley

Hope you can get it squared away Don. I think another call to Steve may be in order. . . .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print