Send Topic Print
My ZDAC-1 just died (Read 13042 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

My ZDAC-1 just died
04/30/11 at 01:53:36

I was just toggling my ZDAC from USB to Coax and it died.
The green light is on but nothing is coming out. I've toggled it back to USB, nothing, toslink, nothing. Powered down and back up, nothing.
I hear something clicking inside when I change the switches but no sound. Other than thinking that the computer let it's deamons loose inside of my dac, I'm at a loss of what to do.
I will try a hard shutdown and check fuses but with the green light on I doubt that it is a power issue.
Film at 11:00!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: My ZDAC-1 just died
Reply #1 - 04/30/11 at 01:57:09

Sorry indeed to hear that! I would call Steve as soon as you can. . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 04/30/11 at 03:28:03

I shut it down, unplugged it, checked the fuse, unhooked everything from it. Reconnected everything and turned it back on. Nothing but a quiet clicking from inside the box. It sounds like a road trip to E. Peoria is in my future. I'll tell my boss that I have a vendor visit in Peoria and get paid to drive up there and back.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 04/30/11 at 12:33:34

Don't worry Pale, I was just kidding! We are still in full austerity mode, the days of frivolous travel are long behind us.
I am really bummed out about my ZDAC, it is what made everything work in my system. I'm back to analog outputs from my Wadia / IPOD and it sucks.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/30/11 at 14:41:12

Donnie, I can't tell from your post if you have something hooked up via toslink or coax????? But if it is just the USB that is wired, it may be a simple computer thing. The clicking is probably just the DAC trying to switch to USB. I don't know Windows, but is there a system sound control panel or something like that, or some other system audio or sound panel where you can choose output paths? On my Mac, this happened once with my ZDAC and going to the system sound preference, internal speakers was highlighted. I clicked on USB and all was well. The computer had mysteriously switched to internal speakers, and not automatically connected to the USB out for some reason. It only happened the one time. Never since.

I hope this is it. Good Luck!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 04/30/11 at 21:49:03

Will, My problem is with every input. I have my CD player coming in through toslink and my Wadia coming in through coax. Nothing works.
I think that something inside went bad. As I always say"Any technology I don't understand must be magic".

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/01/11 at 15:06:47

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 06/17/11 at 00:25:14

I'm really starting to be disappointed with Decware. I checked back to this post to see how long I have been without my ZDAC and it has been a month and a half! Steve emailed me 3 weeks ago saying that parts should be in stock between 7-10 days. I'm not one to complain but I don't think that I'm out of line expecting that my $875 DAC should work for more than a week and if not, getting a replacment back to me quickly.
Again, I'm not really mad, just disappointed. My Torii is missing the input voltage. She wants to sing but can't.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 06/17/11 at 00:33:42

I feel your pain Donnie! That does seem too long! Here's a sincere hope you have it very soon!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/17/11 at 01:13:07

Donnie, Sorry to hear that. I would feel the same way.

Seems like a small business on a roll often runs into things like not being able to get and keep parts. Especially for such a small team with no real idea about what orders to expect from such a broad range of products, it must be hard to manage. Drag none-the-less!

I hope the ship comes in soon for you......

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 06/17/11 at 01:57:02

I understand the problems with niche market businesses. I have friends that supply motorcycle trials products, that market makes tube amps look huge. They grow quickly, reach saturation and soon fail. For Decware to last as long as they have shows me that they have a good business plan, but sometimes things get out of control. I just hate being the person that the business plan fails on. I'm sure that their main problem is that they don't have enough volume with their supplyers to have any clout. Bigger is better when you need something.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 06/17/11 at 02:57:57

Please accept our apology for the delay in repairing your ZDAC.  I have been getting the crystals from Japan and since the earthquakes - there have been huge delays in parts.  We don't blame anyone for being disappointed, we are equally frustrated with these delays.  There are new ZDAC orders that have also been on hold for quite some time.  I have enough parts coming to fill current orders and repair or replace up to 10% of all ZDAC's sold.  This is why we have listed the ZDAC as sold out on the web page.  I don't want to take more orders until we see some assurance that this isn't going to keep happening.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 06/17/11 at 23:16:08

Steve, Thanks for the explanation. Believe it or not this is the second thing that I have had affected today from the earthquake in Japan. You don't have any parts laying around for a Mitsubishi Hobbing machine do you? I just thought I would ask, you never know. Like I said before, I'm not mad at all, if I was there would be a dead body in your trunk and the police would be coming around the corner, LOL.
I'll just sit here and wait for the day that I can listen to James McMurtry songs at the volume that they deserve. Thanks again for making all of these great toys for a semi- grown up 50 year old child. You have no idea of how happy you have made me in the last few months.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 08/30/11 at 23:30:35

WA-Hoo!!
I just got word that my ZDAC Is fixed. I'm going to make a road trip up to E. Peoria on Thursday to pick it up. All of that plus I can eat at Ming's Chinese Buffet. Sounds like a good day to me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 08/30/11 at 23:34:13

Awesome Donnie! Really happy for you!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print