07/28/14 at 17:40:35

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USB cable (Read 1558 times)
Mx-6
Verified Member

USB cable
04/05/11 at 01:48:06

I've been reading around the net and it appears to be believed by many that a upgrade USB cable will make a huge difference. I've seen several very expensive ones recommended while surprisingly the Kimble USB cable has been labled overpriced by some.

So has anybody done a comparison with several of these in this DAC?

Thanks

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: USB cable
Reply #1 - 04/09/11 at 23:49:15

MX-6,

I too have read a lot of stuff out there, and my experience is my guide so I take the info that makes sense with my experience and skip the ever-present yeah-buts who think their "technical' "knowledge" overrules the experiences I (and many others) have had with cables.

I have heard the difference, often rather notably with all kinds of cables including interconnects, power, speaker and lately digital cables. Therefore, I Know that for me, in my system there can be very notable differences, some of which bringing a very comforting synergy to the musical presentation.

This may have to do with the very transparent and revealing system I have, and maybe part a trust in what I experience as real. But even for digital cables I have heard it and according to many this makes no sense. I can't say how BIG these differences are except for my self. Mostly with better cables, what seems to happen is the more clear, articulate and transparent transfer of energy from A to B. And this effects everything downstream.

It can be influenced by wire size, wire type, dielectric, configuration, shielding or other noise reduction schemes, connectors, solder...the lot. And with the good cables (the ones that help my system) the better transfer "reads" as improving all the stuff we want a system to reveal. Dynamics, clarity, bass-to-highs, musicality, "realness"....you know.

But to answer your question directly, I compared the cheaper Kimber to a "stock" USB cable and thought it was worth the 50 bucks or so, though not a huge difference. Then I stumbled onto Wireworld stuff and with the recommendation of Mike at Tweekgeek, tried the 90 dollar Starlight. Not much to lose with the return policy.

It really fleshed out my sound, better in every way than the Kimber, subtle, but sort of BIG too, it nudged the sound more into the clarified musical experience we have come to expect from Decware. So I kept it and am happy with it.

Long story short, if you are like me and want good sound at reasonable prices, the Starlight USB might fit the bill.

Cool

« Last Edit: 04/09/11 at 23:51:49 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/10/11 at 16:22:03

I am another thumbs up for WireWorld. I have two of their Ultraviolet USB cables. I had ordered one in advance of my Audiophileo arriving, and I hadn't realized that Audiophileo included the very same cable in their packaging [nice touch]. These cables do make a sifference. Not enough for me to buy a $1000 one, but enough to justify a <$100 version. And I may yet step up to the Starlight.

Got mine here, where I can only say their service was top notch:

Galen Carol Audio
P.O. Box 17562
San Antonio, TX 78217
Tel: 210-805-9927
Fax: 210-805-9928
http://www.gcaudio.com

Standard disclaimers, no affiliation, no kickbacks, and I don't sleep with anyone who works there.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/10/11 at 23:32:07

Hey guys,

Some clarification. Pale Ryder...are you talking about possibly upgrading to the Silver or Platinum Starlight??? Mine is called the Starlight, and .5 meter is 90, and one meter, 100.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/dept/01-007-002/Wireworld.htm

I was mistaken earlier...I got the 1 meter and must have paid 100 for it.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/11/11 at 01:25:16

Yep, sorry for any confusion I caused. But I am thinking of adding/upgrading to the standard Starlight. I might consider the Silver Starlight, but only after finishing out some other stuff first.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print